Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Game thread: 2/13 IU @ #4 OSU, Noon ESPN

Just now, IUfan_Charlie said:
9 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:
Quite shocking how much he's regressed in just a few months
[/quote
Galloways play was always based on activity and basketball IQ. He doesn’t have the talent to play high level college basketball at this point. I knew it from the second he took his first 3 pointer that it wouldn’t work at this level.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Totally agree. He was thrust into the starting lineup by doing the little things: hustle plays, rebounding, defense and also for how poor Rob was playing. Now he's not even doing those little things to make him effective. Being from Plymouth originally it's just disappointing to see. I had thought when he had his 0-0-0 line would be his season low point, but it's becoming the norm now.

25 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Who plays?! 

That's what I don't get from people saying 'the wrong guys are playing minutes'.  Exactly who has showed in the minutes that they have been given that they have deserved a significant increase?  Seems like the most popular guys on a team that is inconsistent/hasn't played well are the backups.....and they are usually backups for a reason.

Lander moves the ball pretty well.  Still turns it over with some bad passes, still subpar defensively, can't make a shot.

Geronimo provides some energy.  Still is a turnover any time he's at the free throw line and almost all of his makes have been dunks.

Leal doesn't pull the trigger often and although getting better on defense, still is on of our worst defenders.

Galloway doesn't provide much scoring and he still his back is still bothering him.

Hunter might be getting more minutes going forward, but he sat for two games for non-basketball reasons.

7 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Archie and the boys are such teases ... Get a big win every now and then, just to whet your appetite and get you to thinking this team might not be that bad. Then we take a big step backward. Or two. 

I don't mind losing to OSU. In fact, that doesn't surprise me at all. But not the way we did. Today was just as case of SSDD. We suck at the most two common shots in basketball -- free throws and layups. 

Kinda getting tired of it. 

And that's why IUBB isn't appointment television for me like it has been in the past.

I barely even know when our next games are, or who they're against.  We follow up a big win at Iowa with a home loss to a struggling Rutgers team.  Sure I check these boards pretty regularly, but I've never been more apathetic about IU basketball in my life than I am right now.

We'll probably win half of our remaining games, lose to Purdue again, barely sneak into the tournament and have an early exit, miss on all of our top recruits for 2022, and no momentum heading into next year.

31 minutes ago, Aaron said:

How lucky is OSU that Matta waited to resign until way into the offseason after we hired Archie? If Matta had resigned at beginning of offseason they hire Archie and are in world of hurt. 

History has proven Holtman is a terrific coach and Archie is not. Its no accident Butler's best years are under Holtman and Stevens. You take those years out Butler has been average at best more often than not. 

Hiring is a crapshoot and sometimes you get lucky (like when Glass hired Tom Allen with no search and lucked into it) and OSU got incredibly fortunate Matta waited so long to resign and they did not get Archie. 

Butler certainly was best under Stevens and then Holtman, but Matta and Lickliter certainly did set the stage for it.  They were even pretty good under Collier before that.  Under Matta and Lickliter, they did go 155-69 and averaged 22-10 per year.  Collier won 60% of his games there from 89 to 2000.  Again, they weren't Stevens good but they've had a pretty good program for 30 years now.

20 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Then they lucked out when Holtman turned them down the first time around and they offered Gregg McDumont that he also turned them down.  They forced them to go back to Holtman with a bigger offer and he finally accepted.    Got to have a little luck on your side 

Persistence and money as much as luck. Folks often say Holtman did not want to come to IU but the truth is he really did not seem to want to go to OSU either. But when OSU cam back with a lot more money he said yes. 

I am not convinced he would have continued to say no to IU either had we bumped up the $. 

12 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I've written it a before, but it keeps playing out- without TJD IU is the worst team in the B1G. Change my mind.

Really doesn't bode well for next season. 

Do we get to take the best player off of every team in the Big Ten to compare?  Seems only fair.  

16 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I've written it a before, but it keeps playing out- without TJD IU is the worst team in the B1G. Change my mind.

Really doesn't bode well for next season. 

he’s transferring to another college? He’s not an NBA player. 

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Persistence and money as much as luck. Folks often say Holtman did not want to come to IU but the truth is he really did not seem to want to go to OSU either. But when OSU cam back with a lot more money he said yes. 

I am not convinced he would have continued to say no to IU either had we bumped up the $. 

Miller signed at IU for $24 million over 7 years.  Holtmann signed at Ohio State for $26 million over 8 years.  Holtmann likely gets the same kind of deal that IU offered Miller.

19 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Butler certainly was best under Stevens and then Holtman, but Matta and Lickliter certainly did set the stage for it.  They were even pretty good under Collier before that.  Under Matta and Lickliter, they did go 155-69 and averaged 22-10 per year.  Collier won 60% of his games there from 89 to 2000.  Again, they weren't Stevens good but they've had a pretty good program for 30 years now.

Lickliter is a horrible coach and Butler was so lucky (back to a lot of luck involved as I mentioned earlier) Iowa took him at first sign of success or Bulldogs never get to where they are today. Missed tourney 4 times in 6 seasons and if Iowa does not poach him after his one great season they never get to where they are today with Stevens. Butler owes Iowa a huge thanks to where they are today.

Completely agree that Matta for his one yr was very good. Lickliter, Collier and now Jordan were/are very up and down and Miller was horrid in his one season. Butler's best years were under Holtman and Stevens and one is in NBA and other is tearing it up at OSU.

Lickliter is struggling at Evansville and gone through NAIA route. He is mediocre with a couple good seasons. Miller quit over mental problems and Collier is now AD and Matta was very good at OSU.

Jordan is TBA to be frank but right now he looks much more like the up and down of Collier and Lickliter than the elite of Stevens and Holtman. 

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

On this one I am convinced he wanted no part of coming here despite the money offer.   Too many first hand stories that I’ve seen from national media, local and media from Ohio st that bascially all end in the same way.   He wasn’t coming to IU.  This is just my opinion 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

he’s transferring to another college? He’s not an NBA player. 

Don’t have to be an nba player to leave to play professionally.    Happens every year.    Kids declare they won’t get drafted but are ready to move on from college 

Just now, brumdog45 said:

Miller signed at IU for $24 million over 7 years.  Holtmann signed at Ohio State for $26 million over 8 years.  Holtmann likely gets the same kind of deal that IU offered Miller.

That is true but Holtmans offer from OSU was higher the second time around. Felt like he got some upfront money or more bonus opportunities too but the main point was they offered X initially and he said no. They came back and offered X plus and he said yes. 

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

That is true but Holtmans offer from OSU was higher the second time around. Felt like he got some upfront money or more bonus opportunities too but the main point was they offered X initially and he said no. They came back and offered X plus and he said yes. 

They paid his buyout as well.    His first year he was a top 3 paid coach for that year because his buyout was included. 

16 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

For me I always wonder what happened to Brandon Miller who was coach before Holtmann and what they would've been like.

Lol. The joy is gone folks. Archie brand of basketball is ugly. And the results are mediocre, and worse, predictable. Therefore the hope is gone.

No joy and no hope. Welcome to 2021 IUBB.

It may as well be our recruiting slogan.

Archie should probably continue to land guys #100-200 and hope they overachieve.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

And that's why IUBB isn't appointment television for me like it has been in the past.
I barely even know when our next games are, or who they're against.  We follow up a big win at Iowa with a home loss to a struggling Rutgers team. 

I wish people would stop saying that about the Rutgers loss. Rutgers is a ranked team. 10 days before Indiana played them, Rutgers was ranked #15 in the country and was one of the 4 best teams in the conference. Thee weeks prior they were as high as #12. They got beat by Iowa and OSU to knock them from the rankings. Not fricken smoked by them either. Very little surprise here that they are back in the top 25 once again.

9 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

I wish people would stop saying that about the Rutgers loss. Rutgers is a ranked team. 10 days before Indiana played them, Rutgers was ranked #15 in the country and was one of the 4 best teams in the conference. Thee weeks prior they were as high as #12. They got beat by Iowa and OSU to knock them from the rankings. Not fricken smoked by them either. Very little surprise here that they are back in the top 25 once again.

Rutgers was on like a 6 game losing streak I thought

5 game losing streak after checking. If you have to lie to prove your point....