Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Game thread: 2/13 IU @ #4 OSU, Noon ESPN

How lucky is OSU that Matta waited to resign until way into the offseason after we hired Archie? If Matta had resigned at beginning of offseason they hire Archie and are in world of hurt. 

History has proven Holtman is a terrific coach and Archie is not. Its no accident Butler's best years are under Holtman and Stevens. You take those years out Butler has been average at best more often than not. 

Hiring is a crapshoot and sometimes you get lucky (like when Glass hired Tom Allen with no search and lucked into it) and OSU got incredibly fortunate Matta waited so long to resign and they did not get Archie. 

13 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I remember when many, including myself, thought that we got the better coach of the 3 that came in to the Big Ten four years ago. Definitely hasn’t aged well...

Guilty as charged.  Not the only time I was wrong, but one of the worst.

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If I’m gonna watch kids play like freshmen it might as well be the freshmen 

As much as people mock the starters starting the 2nd half as well, they started the second half pretty well.  We lost ground when our reserves started coming into the game.  I guess we could have played Geronimo, Leal, and Galloway more minutes and lost by 40?

8 minutes ago, Aaron said:

How lucky is OSU that Matta waited to resign until way into the offseason after we hired Archie? If Matta had resigned at beginning of offseason they hire Archie and are in world of hurt. 

History has proven Holtman is a terrific coach and Archie is not. Its no accident Butler's best years are under Holtman and Stevens. You take those years out Butler has been average at best more often than not. 

Hiring is a crapshoot and sometimes you get lucky (like when Glass hired Tom Allen with no search and lucked into it) and OSU got incredibly fortunate Matta waited so long to resign and they did not get Archie. 

Then they lucked out when Holtman turned them down the first time around and they offered Gregg McDumont that he also turned them down.  They forced them to go back to Holtman with a bigger offer and he finally accepted.    Got to have a little luck on your side 

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

As much as people mock the starters starting the 2nd half as well, they started the second half pretty well.  We lost ground when our reserves started coming into the game.  I guess we could have played Geronimo, Leal, and Galloway more minutes and lost by 40?

Upperclassmen got us in the hole.  Playing terrible. The fact that they played less terrible later on doesn’t change that. You can’t spot good teams double digit leads and expect to win. And our starters do that 90% of the time. 

I’m not sure I could justify Galloway playing much more right now.

Or Leal.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Then they lucked out when Holtman turned them down the first time around and they offered Gregg McDumont that he also turned them down.  They forced them to go back to Holtman with a bigger offer and he finally accepted.    Got to have a little luck on your side 

Yup luck is important as I said, although McDermott is a pretty damn good coach at Creighton as well. Not sure you do wrong with either. 

Thanks to YouTubeTV I didn’t get to watch this. Planned to watch it now, but YouTubeTV recorded ESPNU game with Oklahoma State instead of the Indiana game. IU is in my library and records all their games. Instead of recording the IU game on ESPN it chose to record a game I didn’t give a damn about. Even in my library it says Indiana vs Ohio State, but then when I went to watch it went to the ESPNU game with Oklahoma State. 

Thanks again YouTubeTV. My $60 a month I pay solely to watch IU basketball is well worth the price even though you can’t record the right game. Annoyed AF. 

Just now, ray said:

Thanks to YouTubeTV I didn’t get to watch this. Planned to watch it now, but YouTubeTV recorded ESPNU game with Oklahoma State instead of the Indiana game. IU is in my library and records all their games. Instead of recording the IU game on ESPN it chose to record a game I didn’t give a damn about. Even in my library it says Indiana vs Ohio State, but then when I went to watch it went to the ESPNU game with Oklahoma State. 

Thanks again YouTubeTV. My $60 a month I pay solely to watch IU basketball is well worth the price even though you can’t record the right game. Annoyed AF. 

FYI,

You should be thankful, not annoyed.

Quite shocking how much he's regressed in just a few months
[/quote
Galloways play was always based on activity and basketball IQ. He doesn’t have the talent to play high level college basketball at this point. I knew it from the second he took his first 3 pointer that it wouldn’t work at this level.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Archie and the boys are such teases ... Get a big win every now and then, just to whet your appetite and get you to thinking this team might not be that bad. Then we take a big step backward. Or two. 

I don't mind losing to OSU. In fact, that doesn't surprise me at all. But not the way we did. Today was just as case of SSDD. We suck at the most two common shots in basketball -- free throws and layups. 

Kinda getting tired of it.