Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Game thread: 2/13 IU @ #4 OSU, Noon ESPN

4 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Statistical proof says that Durham has the best assist to turnover ratio and the lowest turnover rate.  I agree that Durham isn’t a good point guard but let’s not act like Phin or Lander have been better.  The bar seems to be different to the point where a poster here was telling people that this game was proof of how good Lander was...while no t scoring and having 3 assists and 2 turnovers.

For the record, Durham didn’t have a turnover before that possession or after that possession.

The interesting thing to me about this back and forth is that you both make good points. Hunter is getting under-utilized and he was one of the only guys putting up points in this game while Al and the other starting guards were struggling to score, Hunter did play more n this game however and Al did generally take care of the ball.

I keep coming back to watching and wondering why CAM won’t open up our perimeter game, the team trying to score is like getting blood from a turnip at times. Frustrating. But then the team also has had games where they’ve shown great resilience and clawed out the W. We can win ugly, I’d just like to see more spacing and flow in the offense with more shooting to spread the floor and to allow us to keep pace with on the offensive end 

Someone said years back,  "There's nothing special in the waters of Monroe County, Indiana.   It appears accurate.  For now.

IU harnessed lightning in a bottle twice;  hiring McCracken and later Knight.   It looks like they've failed to do so with the latest hire.

Look westward to Westwood.   Nothing special in the waters there, either.

McHoop

Statistical proof says that Durham has the best assist to turnover ratio and the lowest turnover rate.  I agree that Durham isn’t a good point guard but let’s not act like Phin or Lander have been better.  The bar seems to be different to the point where a poster here was telling people that this game was proof of how good Lander was...while no t scoring and having 3 assists and 2 turnovers. For the record, Durham didn’t have a turnover before that possession or after that possession.  

The host of the show did actually acknowledge that Rob And Frank (didn’t mention Lander) had not been very good either. I don’t believe they were trying to downplay Al’s roll, nor claim that he was solely responsible for allowing the lead to swell. I think they were just saying that we’ve watched this play out before, and it just doesn’t work. The discussion was centered around Archie’s coaching trends and the fact that he seems to keep trying the same things that have proven not to be working out. I personally agree with that for my part. Al, we know doesn’t fair well in that single up, end of clock situation. He’s not a primary ball handler, and not that type of player in my humble opinion. We did have three of them on the bench though.....Well, 2 and the guy who is the best scoring guard we have. 

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

19 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I don't think Lickliter is a good X and O's guy, but it doesn't change that the fact that he was winning when he was at Butler.  It's not like he was driven out.  He was hired by Iowa after winning 29 games at Butler the year before.  

And he missed the tournament 4 out of the 5 previous years prior to that huge season. Iowa fell into the ultimate trap of hiring the hot mid-major coach after one great year and predictably it killed Iowa as they failed spectacularly with Lickliter and Butler got an elite coach in Brad Stevens. Without this stroke of luck Butler never becomes what they are today. At best they are like a Murray State, Stephen F Austin or some really good mid-major that dominates a bad conference most years and gets the auto bid out of Horizon League. 

Iowa is absolutely the reason Butler is a Power 6 program rather than a really good Mid-Major. Without those runs to the Final Four they still have the old president who wanted to keep athletics to a minimum rather than current president who wants to emphasize them (Former prez was run out for not caring about athletics enough after Final Four runs). Todd Lickliter NEVER makes runs to the Final Four and Butler is still a good Mid-Major in Horizon League.