Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

What Can IUBB do to Revive Your Excitement/Confidence?

7 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

So once again I would like to point out that for 3 years I have been called negative.  And I always contended I was just being a realist.  

Be patient. His buyout is $10 mil at the end of this season. Next year will be the first season on the hot seat, as his buyout drops to $3.35 mil on April 1st 2022. So cheer for the team to be successful because nothing is going to happen for another year and 4 months. At that point he will either get fired or get an extension. 

51 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Be patient. His buyout is $10 mil at the end of this season. Next year will be the first season on the hot seat, as his buyout drops to $3.35 mil on April 1st 2022. So too for the team to be successful because nothing is going to happen for another year and 4 months. At that point he will either get fired or get an extension. 

10 million can be afforded. 

When did expectations become a bad thing?  When do we start expecting a coach to look at the flaws on the roster he built and actually fix them?

We waited too long to fire Crean, if we keep giving passes like Oprah we'll make the same mistake again.  Of course that'd require an administration that cares, instead of just wanting the fans to shut up and accept it.

Now if I'm putting a list of guys together... It would definitely be a mix of experience and swinging for the fences. I don't believe we can get anyone who is super successful because right now in college basketball they are all old and coaching talented seems to be going down the toilet as the years go on. But a guy that always pops into my head? Jon Scheyer. 

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

10 million can be afforded. 

Only if boosters, who are also taking a financial hit, are willing to pony up. If Michigan isn’t going to fire Jim Harbaugh, then IU isn’t firing Archie Miller this year. 

9 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

When did expectations become a bad thing?  When do we start expecting a coach to look at the flaws on the roster he built and actually fix them?

We waited too long to fire Crean, if we keep giving passes like Oprah we'll make the same mistake again.  Of course that'd require an administration that cares, instead of just wanting the fans to shut up and accept it.

Well we have to wait until he has his guys and then it'll start clicking. You just have to look at the bigger picture. We gotta get all Indiana kids and then get old and stay old.

And people actually believe this crap. 

I'm not ready to cut ties with Archie, but I'll admit my confidence in the direction we're heading is shot.  Worse, my interest in IU basketball has never been lower.  Maybe it's because the coronavirus taught me I can live without sports, who knows.

We are clearly not winning the recruiting battles we need to.  Losing our top targets to Creighton, Georgetown, and Purdue is quite a gut check of where we are as a program.  This is a problem because it doesn't appear Archie is going to be coaching circles around anyone and finishing in the top 5 of the conference despite having lesser talent.

Part of his philosophy is "getting older".  How many of the guys who have stayed in the program have truly gotten better?  It pains me to say this because I like the kid, but maybe Rob Phinisee just isn't that good.  It doesn't seem like he has what it takes to be a starter on a team that's trying to compete for conference titles.  Has Al Durham gotten any better?

We're just not any better than we were 4 years ago as a basketball program.

7 hours ago, Treesh said:

The title should be changed to potential coaching candidates. 

There’s amazing coaches on each level. However, I don’t think the list is that lengthy if Scott were ever to create one. 

The names I’ve seen mentioned in other threads are basically Tom Crean 2.0, maybe even this thread. Yes you hate watching players not being able to shoot, I get it. But Indiana was a treadmill team under CTC. Fun to watch sure, but we weren’t going anywhere significant (Final Fours / Championships). People actually care about BIG Titles? lol 

Im pretty sure Tony Bennett’s first four years weren’t that sexy. And it’s hard as hell to watch a full game of theirs. But they win and have won on the ONLY significant stage, the national championship. Archie and Indiana could be on a similar path at this point. 

What has Archie done to make you believe he’s on a similar path? We’re not a good team this year and he has completely whiffed on the 2021 recruiting class. Help is not on the way. 

I'm willing to give Dane Fife his first head coaching job.  He's very well respected in the recruiting world and has a good pedigree.

Also, I don't watch the nba but I know recruits do.  Is there a coach there that's known as an x's and o's guy that might have interest?

I want a coach that can win with any players you give him

People need to quit pretending Archie is another Tony Bennett. TB came in 4th in his conference in year 3. Then did it again in year 4. Then won it in year 5.  

We are no where close to that.  

Virginia had an offense that was 234th in the country.  Over the offseason he got that to 54th because he helped them improve 

12 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What has Archie done to make you believe he’s on a similar path? We’re not a good team this year and he has completely whiffed on the 2021 recruiting class. Help is not on the way. 

Well our defense has improved each year. Something CTC could never do, because he was too worried about scoring, which is fair of course. 

Only time will tell to see if Archie will be on a similar path. We made the dance last year and I believe we will this year as well. For a complete rebuild in terms of basketball standpoint for these players, It’s a step in the right direction. 

Does the fan base really want to sit through another rebuild with a new coach? And yes it will be a rebuild, this isn’t the NBA where coaches can just step in and win right away. I like Josh’s comment with Dane Fife. Indiana guy with years of experience under a great coach in Izzo. Would it be risky? YES! 

My list is short- Brad Stevens. Unrealistic but there’s always a chance of anything in life. We need a coach with final four experience. We can list a lot of coaches with conference championships but who cares about those honestly. 

I won’t be ready to move on from Archie until maybe mid next season at the earliest. I like him, I think he’s pretty darn good actually. If our players could shoot, I think we’re in a different situation. Rob / Hunter / Al didn’t pan out like we all thought they could. (maybe not Al but you get it). 

7 hours ago, Treesh said:

The title should be changed to potential coaching candidates. 

Yeah, misleading thread title when the intent was simply to talk about a coaching change. May as well merge with the writing on the wall thread. 

I’ve been as pro-Archie as any. Though I’d say it more like I’ve been patient and recognized overall improvement YoY. We haven’t been to the level I expect, I believe cutting ties would have absolutely been the wrong decision. This is the year to make a jump. Good news is we have every opportunity to still do that. 

Bad news is holy $#@% is it getting hard to believe. I haven’t made the turn, and I’ll still watch every damn game. But I’ve never been this apathetic about IU basketball. It helps ease the pain by being so smitten with greatest football team on the planet, a.k.a. America’s team #LEO. But looking ahead from this exact point, it seems very difficult to find....7 conference wins? Then beyond that it will take a modern day miracle for us to be better next season w/o Trayce (or some absolute magic in the transfer portal). I really hope that is just an over reaction to what most people see as a bad loss. But......is it really?

One thing that has me curious....I’ve seen it referenced a few times the past couple years that our problems in hoops start above the head coach, all the way up to the president. Can someone help me understand that better? (FYI - this is NOT a question for the usual “that’s just an excuse, fire Archie now” suspects....everyone is already painfully aware of your answers)

I'm willing to give Dane Fife his first head coaching job.  He's very well respected in the recruiting world and has a good pedigree.
Also, I don't watch the nba but I know recruits do.  Is there a coach there that's known as an x's and o's guy that might have interest?
I want a coach that can win with any players you give him
Fife was a head coach at Fort Wayne for a couple years before joining Izzo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, LIHoosier said:

Fife was a head coach at Fort Wayne for a couple years before joining Izzo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oh yeah.  So can we give him credit for Fort Wayne whooping us twice under Archie?  I know he was gone by then, but it would make my argument sound better

Yeah, misleading thread title when the intent was simply to talk about a coaching change. May as well merge with the writing on the wall thread. 

I’ve been as pro-Archie as any. Though I’d say it more like I’ve been patient and recognized overall improvement YoY. We haven’t been to the level I expect, I believe cutting ties would have absolutely been the wrong decision. This is the year to make a jump. Good news is we have every opportunity to still do that. 

Bad news is holy $#@% is it getting hard to believe. I haven’t made the turn, and I’ll still watch every damn game. But I’ve never been this apathetic about IU basketball. It helps ease the pain by being so smitten with greatest football team on the planet, a.k.a. America’s team #LEO. But looking ahead from this exact point, it seems very difficult to find....7 conference wins? Then beyond that it will take a modern day miracle for us to be better next season w/o Trayce (or some absolute magic in the transfer portal). I really hope that is just an over reaction to what most people see as a bad loss. But......is it really?

One thing that has me curious....I’ve seen it referenced a few times the past couple years that our problems in hoops start above the head coach, all the way up to the president. Can someone help me understand that better? (FYI - this is NOT a question for the usual “that’s just an excuse, fire Archie now” suspects....everyone is already painfully aware of your answers)

Thread title is open for interpretation. What does each individual need to revive excitement for the program?

I answer my own question, in the opener, and that for me is a new coach.

I would imagine most others aren’t as drastic as my demand/hope for change.

I don’t think Archie can win me over at this point. I’ve seen enough.

But, I’m curious as to what others think IUBB can do to revive excitement. Maybe it’s nothing, it’s good enough. Maybe it’s make the tournament. Maybe it’s get a couple good grad transfers. Idk.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Thread title is open for interpretation. It is exactly what it states. What does each individual need to revive excitement for the program?

I answer my own question, in the opener, and that for me is a new coach.

I would imagine most others aren’t as drastic as my demand/hope for change.

I don’t think Archie can win me over at this point. I’ve seen enough.

But, I’m curious as to what others think IUBB can do to revive excitement. Maybe it’s nothing, it’s good enough. Maybe it’s make the tournament. Maybe it’s get a couple good grad transfers. Idk.

I re-read my post. And yes, I agree it’s misleading. I recant. I meant to leave it open at the thread title, but my answer lead me astray. Apologies.