Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

What Can IUBB do to Revive Your Excitement/Confidence?

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yep while going up to 4.8 rebounds from 2.1.  Or while raising his assists and lowering his turnovers.  I can work with small sample sizes too since you think his only job is to score.  He has stepped in areas we needed him to.  He needs to get his shooting numbers back to historical averages.  But with like 16 free throws and 24 3’s shot, I am not exactly too worried about a 4th year player there.  His rebounding to this point is far more important than him hitting 2 more 3’s to make you feel better about his shooting.  He is doing just fine.

We need those 2 more threes a game. Badly. 

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

We need those 2 more threes a game. Badly. 

Not 2 3’s per game.  2 more 3’s on the whole year gets his average accurate to his historical averages.....  That whole pesky low sample thing.  But yep.  Trash player doing other things greatly needed.  Taking care of the ball, distributing, defending, and rebounding.  But boy, since to this point he has hit what like 7/24 he is trash.  So much better if he hit 9 to this point...

2 minutes ago, croneleoni said:

This article came out yesterday and it's referencing his 4 years here. The point of me posting is your hatred towards him is a little much. Like I said before, he does make some bonehead mistakes but we all can do that. Of course, anyone can make someone look bad if you constantly highlight every mistake There have been plenty of things he has done before that you wish to ignore.

Sent from my SM-G981U using BtownBanners mobile app

I don't care what he's done the last 3 years. What is important is this year and how he's regressed so much from 3 and the FT line. Points this team desperately needs. That's his role now. The 5th best player on the team is who he is. Maybe 4th. But this is TJD, Race and Armaans team without any doubt. 

18 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Statistically... No. Armaan Franklin is averaging more rebounds. Armaan and Rob are shooting better from 3. Armaan is our best perimeter defender. So this article is pretty bad now. That article can't be new. 

Statistically ... YES.... Statistics can say anything you want them to say...

SINCE Al Durham Arrived at IU he is shooting 34.3% from 3 (97-282), Rob is shooting 32.7% (57-174), & Franklin is shooting 32.2% (29-90)

SINCE Al Durham Arrived at IU he has 220 Rebounds, Rob has 184, & Franklin has 88

SINCE Al Durham arrived at IU he has been a 2 time Captain (that part is undeniable)

SINCE Al Durham arrived at IU he has been our best perimeter defender... This part is somewhat subjective, but I am sure there are stats to back it up, not sure if they looked at steals, blocks, DEFLECTIONS, points against, or what criteria they used....

As I said stats can be made to fit anything somebody wants to say. But lets break it down more... in the 3 years Rob & Al have been on the team Al is 35.6% vs 32.7% BUT Rob does have more rebounds in that time frame.(161 - 184)

In the 2 years that Al, Rob, & Armaan have all been on the team the 3p % is Al 36.4%, Rob 34.4%, Armaan 32.2%

AND Rebounds, Al 96, Rob 80, Armaan 88

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And you think he catches up tonight? Because it'll be needed. And not running into a bunch of dudes out of control. 

Who cares if he does on the shooting?  It’s averages dude and if he makes like 2 out of 3 or 4 it’s the same.  As for your other sentence that’s completely made up in your head.  Look at his assist to turnover numbers or just look at either this year versus any other year.  Here let me help.  Last year he was 2.5/1.9.  This year he is 3.2/1.3.  Any more made up complaints to trash a player that has made more winning plays outside of TJD/Galloway/Franklin?  Those 2 whole shots missed (not 2 per game...) are not as important as that stat and the rebounding for this team.  Period.  

Just now, mdn82 said:

Who cares if he does on the shooting?  It’s averages dude.  As for your other sentence that’s completely made up in your head.  Look at his assist to turnover numbers or just look at either this year versus any other year.  Here let me help.  Last year he was 2.5/1.9.  This year he is 3.2/1.3.  Any more made up complaints to trash a player that has made more winning plays outside of TJD/Galloway/Franklin?  

How is it a made up complaint? I'm apparently the only person who complains about Durham running into a bunch of people? Since when? 

And answer this, what's the biggest problem for this team? Shooting right? So don't you think we need Durham to get back to where he was last season and better? Why is there no expectation for him to being shooring 40% from 3 and 85% from the FT line? Awesome he grabbed some rebounds.. literally doesn't have any impact on the biggest issue this team has. 

11 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

How is it a made up complaint? I'm apparently the only person who complains about Durham running into a bunch of people? Since when? 

And answer this, what's the biggest problem for this team? Shooting right? So don't you think we need Durham to get back to where he was last season and better? Why is there no expectation for him to being shooring 40% from 3 and 85% from the FT line? Awesome he grabbed some rebounds.. literally doesn't have any impact on the biggest issue this team has. 

Lmfao you are right!!!  I mean he is on pace for 100 3’s this year.  So at 7% dip if his averages played out this way I mean we are talking about 21 points over the whole year.  Easily 3 more losses without those 7 3’s.  As a guard protecting the ball, distributing, defending, and getting close to 5 rebounds in 30 minutes per game don’t help.  Thank you so much for teaching me that shooting is the only thing that matters for Al Durham because you said so.  May he receive 20 lashes for the 2 missed 3’s he should have hit against the plethora of cupcakes.  Go back to your sound argument where this team being a run and gun team doesn’t need those other things to be successful.  My apologies 

Sorry, I apologize I didn’t answer your first statement about not being the only person that complains about that.  Well Joe, something you should learn is every IU team I have been on a board for singles out one player right or wrong.  I will just say I will continue to post his assist to turnover stats when both are continuing to go in a pretty good positive direction and that argument comes up.  

41 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Well ... THE LAST FEW YEARS that may have been the biggest issue the team had.

• Two years ago, WITH THE CLOSER THREE POINT LINE, we were at 31.2%, 311th nationally! HORRIBLE.
  • Last year the D1 average for three point shooting was 33.4%. IU's team average? 32.6%. We were 204th nationally. Below average.
  • This year? Seven games into a very competitive non-con schedule (top 50 in schedule strength before B1G play starts) the Hoosiers are shooting 33.6% from three. So far this year, we are an above average three point shooting team. We are 160th nationally. Certainly not the biggest issue this team has.
  • Moral of the story? Goodbye Justin Smith and Romeo Langford, hello better three point shooting.

I would venture that the biggest issue this team has is front court depth and rebounding. And Al Durham is a very good rebounding guard.

PS: Get well Joey Brunk!

24 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Lmfao you are right!!!  I mean he is on pace for 100 3’s this year.  So at 7% dip if his averages played out this way I mean we are talking about 21 points over the whole year.  Easily 3 more losses without those 7 3’s.  As a guard protecting the ball, distributing, defending, and getting close to 5 rebounds in 30 minutes per game don’t help.  Thank you so much for teaching me that shooting is the only thing that matters for Al Durham because you said so.  May he receive 20 lashes for the 2 missed 3’s he should have hit against the plethora of cupcakes.  Go back to your sound argument where this team being a run and gun team doesn’t need those other things to be successful.  My apologies 

Sorry, I apologize I didn’t answer your first statement about not being the only person that complains about that.  Well Joe, something you should learn is every IU team I have been on a board for singles out one player right or wrong.  I will just say I will continue to post his assist to turnover stats when both are continuing to go in a pretty good positive direction and that argument comes up.  

Of course. Have to turn a blind eye to our 3 year starting Senior shooting guard who has been the biggest disappointment on the team this year because he's grabbed a few more rebounds. All while shooting terribly from the floor, still making stupid decisions that a 3 year starting Senior shouldn't be making. He's had one good shooting game so far and that was against Providence. He scored 19 and shot 6-9 from the floor and 3 for 5 from 3. Outside of that game he's shooting 36.6% from the floor. 50% from 2 and 21% from 3. So far the season, the trend hasn't been good for him. And we need him to be better in that area for this team to maximize itself. 

20 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well ... THE LAST FEW YEARS that may have been the biggest issue the team had.

• Two years ago, WITH THE CLOSER THREE POINT LINE, we were at 31.2%, 311th nationally! HORRIBLE.
  • Last year the D1 average for three point shooting was 33.4%. IU's team average? 32.6%. We were 204th nationally. Below average.
  • This year? Seven games into a very competitive non-con schedule (top 50 in schedule strength before B1G play starts) the Hoosiers are shooting 33.6% from three. So far this year, we are an above average three point shooting team. We are 160th nationally. Certainly not the biggest issue this team has.
  • Moral of the story? Goodbye Justin Smith and Romeo Langford, hello better three point shooting.

I would venture that the biggest issue this team has is front court depth and rebounding. And Al Durham is a very good rebounding guard.

PS: Get well Joey Brunk!

So what do we rank in the nation in 3 point percentage? How about rebounds per game? 

We are 162nd in 3%

We are 142nd in rebounds per game.

We are 74th in defensive rebounds per game(struggle on the offensive boards)

We are also 20th in blocks per game. 

So yea, I'd say the shooting is still a bigger problem. 

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Of course. Have to turn a blind eye to our 3 year starting Senior shooting guard who has been the biggest disappointment on the team this year because he's grabbed a few more rebounds. All while shooting terribly from the floor, still making stupid decisions that a 3 year starting Senior shouldn't be making. He's had one good shooting game so far and that was against Providence. He scored 19 and shot 6-9 from the floor and 3 for 5 from 3. Outside of that game he's shooting 36.6% from the floor. 50% from 2 and 21% from 3. So far the season, the trend hasn't been good for him. And we need him to be better in that area for this team to maximize itself. 

The selective plucking of stats is maddening. And I quote you: 

"...against Providence. He scored 19 and shot 6-9 from the floor and 3 for 5 from 3. Outside of that game he's shooting..."

I mean, good lord--why the hell should we discount the Providence game when looking at his shooting? Such a credibility killer. You'll never sway anyone's opinion with logic like that.

• "Outside of that time at Ford's Theater, John Wilkes Booth NEVER murdered a President!"
  • "Outside of that time against Syracuse, Keith Smart never hit a clutch shot!" 

10 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Oh boy now we are trying to take out his best game on an already small sample size to prove a point.  Let me know when you understand averages, and sampling.  Then we can have this discussion.  Until then keep screaming at your computer cause nobody else understands the game quite like you.

28 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Durham isn[t the only IU player to drive in a bunch of defenders. Rob Phinisee and Armaan Franklin both do it. It is maddening.

It's a part of Archie's offense.  That's the only reason we do it all the time, right?  Or else he'd correct it.  It's maddening

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So what do we rank in the nation in 3 point percentage? How about rebounds per game? 

We are 162nd in 3%

We are 142nd in rebounds per game.

We are 74th in defensive rebounds per game(struggle on the offensive boards)

We are also 20th in blocks per game. 

So yea, I'd say the shooting is still a bigger problem. 

So, NW is top ten nationally in 3pt shooting right now. Do you think that might have something to do with their games against D2 Quincy College, and 300+ Chicago St and Arkansas Pine Bluff? Hint--it does. 

160th nationally and above the national average for a team that defends against high majors like IU? That's damn good. 

Let me reiterate.  The whole Al jumping into defenders thing has cause him to drop his turnovers from 1.9 last year to 1.3 this year.  His assists have went from 2.5 last year to 3.2 this year so far.  This just isn’t a thing quite like the VJ3 good for lowering his head into a charge or turnover 3 plus times a game.  If what you guys are saying is true and problematic, his numbers would show it even this early in the year in spite of the sampling.  Those numbers just aren’t typically as flexible as shootings numbers thoughout a year.  He is playing 30 mpg.  He is a 2.5:1 assist to turnover guard.  That’s pretty damn good.  If he kept it over a 2:1 ratio that’s a pretty good damn Senior.  Sorry it’s not good enough for some, or a reason to go at CAM I guess?  But if you all think Al Durham is the or even a problem, I honestly have no clue what you guys are watching.  Another reason to not watch games while posting on here.  

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Let me reiterate.  The whole Al jumping into defenders thing has cause him to drop his turnovers from 1.9 last year to 1.3 this year.  His assists have went from 2.5 last year to 3.2 this year so far.  This just isn’t a thing quite like the VJ3 good for lowering his head into a charge or turnover 3 plus times a game.  If what you guys are saying is true and problematic, his numbers would show it even this early in the year in spite of the sampling.  Those numbers just aren’t typically as flexible as shootings numbers thoughout a year.  He is playing 30 mpg.  He is a 2.5:1 assist to turnover guard.  That’s pretty damn good.  If he kept it over a 2:1 ratio that’s a pretty good damn Senior.  Sorry it’s not good enough for some, or a reason to go at CAM I guess?  But if you all think Al Durham is the or even a problem, I honestly have no clue what you guys are watching.  Another reason to not watch games while posting on here.  

I get it--it's an established narrative and therefore far more noticeable when it still occasionally happens.

But, an assist to TO ratio of 3.2 to 1.3 is damn good. That's not a narrative. That's a fact.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I get it--it's an established narrative and therefore far more noticeable when it still occasionally happens.

But, an assist to TO ratio of 3.2 to 1.3 is damn good. That's not a narrative. That's a fact.

Yep.  Last year was his first year even being a 1:1 guy.  He has improved greatly this year from a decision making perspective.  I do feel he has the ball in his hand less this year than last (no numbers handy to say either way).  But his decision making has been mostly on point this year.  Plus we can’t undervalue his rebounding with Joey being out with just under 5 per game.  Imo Joey doesn’t even get that many.  He has more than made up for him, but I do worry about teams like Illinois or MSU where the guards are more physical.  Keep shooting and they will drop once he stops forcing the outside shot.  He is the least of my worries with this team.