Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

What Can IUBB do to Revive Your Excitement/Confidence?

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I'd never say never.  If somehow Brad Stevens has to deal with some divas for a few years it might change his mind.  I'd say it's highly unlikely but things could change.

Sure, things can change -- no doubt about that. But I would think coaching a few divas for a few months of the year would be preferable to the nearly year-round task of having to travel all over the country and beg 16- and 17- and 18-year old kids to come play for you. I think Donovan is done with that and I would think Stevens probably is as well. 

10 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Is it possible that we do bend rules just like everyone else does, but recruits simply don't find us as appealing as we want them to? 

We have bland uniforms with no names on the back, we play in an outdated facility, and we have fans that start complaining about how awful we are after an opponent gets the opening tip. We don't make the tournament very often anymore and we're rarely playing meaningful games in late February/early March. 

I don't think we're going as far as handing blank checks to recruits with promises to fulfill their NBA dreams, but I doubt we're doing everything 100% by the book, either. 

I've said on this board that AH needed to be replaced, not renovated.  I like the simple uniforms but wouldn't care about updating cut and material (I don't like how thick the stripes are on the shorts now) or using an alternate once or twice a year.

I would be shocked if any program is 100% clean.

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

I've said on this board that AH needed to be replaced, not renovated.  I like the simple uniforms but wouldn't care about updating cut and material (I don't like how thick the stripes are on the shorts now) or using an alternate once or twice a year.

I was on the building a new place bandwagon too. Assembly could have been kept as a museum and home to women's basketball and volleyball. Some new slick jerseys would just be nice to see for a new era. Tradition just isn't an excuse. Duke and UK change theirs but I guess they don't have tradition. 

The concern isn't so much this year. We should make the NCAA tournament, if there is one. Kenpom has IU at #21, others have us around #30. But if TJD leaves after this year, which seems almost certain, next year could be another down year.

I’m not convinced THIS year will be good year. We aren’t currently ranked. The B1G is tremendous. Lots of matchup problems with teams that can score the ball. I see a lot of Ls piling up.

However, Our schedule has been tough, and outside of Texas we’ve looked solid, but man, this roster isn’t ready to be a big winner unless someone or 2 gains a tremendous amount of confidence in the next 2 months.

Not sure who that will be.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

10 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Is it possible that we do bend rules just like everyone else does, but recruits simply don't find us as appealing as we want them to? 

We have bland uniforms with no names on the back, we play in an outdated facility, and we have fans that start complaining about how awful we are after an opponent gets the opening tip. We don't make the tournament very often anymore and we're rarely playing meaningful games in late February/early March. 

I don't think we're going as far as handing blank checks to recruits with promises to fulfill their NBA dreams, but I doubt we're doing everything 100% by the book, either. 

The program needs a spark somewhere. New jerseys could help that some. A little is better than none. If we could copy some NBA uniforms I'd look at the Pacers. Those would be best. Maybe some version of Utah's city edition jerseys. Or Denvers city addition with an outline of assembly hall instead of the skyline. Anything that would catch an eye. Indiana just isn't a brand outside of those who are alumni or raised as fans. 

35 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I was on the building a new place bandwagon too. Assembly could have been kept as a museum and home to women's basketball and volleyball. Some new slick jerseys would just be nice to see for a new era. Tradition just isn't an excuse. Duke and UK change theirs but I guess they don't have tradition. 

A slick jersey as an alternate would be one thing.  Primary uniforms I'd keep the clean simple look and update cut/material.  Frankly though, I'm not convinced recruits care much (or at all) about how the jersey looks.

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Why this always comes back to jerseys and traditions is beside me. This has zero to do with why Archie isn’t recruiting well. Zero.

Bama's football jerseys are as plain as plain can be and they seem to get whoever they want. I'm sure $$ plays some role but do they have enough to pay every 5 star they want?

Here’s my thing about Archie. He’s close to being who we need. But his teams all lack the simplest aspect of basketball.  Shooting.  If this team was shooting 37% from 3 instead of 29% we would be on a much different trajectory. 

Archie has this team doing the hard stuff to win.  Which makes the fact we are terrible god awful pathetic at shooting the ball even more unacceptable. 

Archie needs to man up. Swallow his pride and admit what he’s doing isn’t working.  

It’s too late this season. The time to improve shooting is the off-season.  Archie has one more year to turn it around.   And even then if he does it’s going to be tough moving forward because recruiting misses.  

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

But if TJD leaves after this year, which seems almost certain, next year could be another down year.

I'm not sure why everyone is so certain this happens. We have no idea what his plans are. It's really quite amazing what an echo chamber we've established here with people thinking he won't be back. There were some who thought he wouldn't be back this year for whatever reason. Then again, there were some who thought Lander would only be here this season, too. 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm not sure why everyone is so certain this happens. We have no idea what his plans are. It's really quite amazing what an echo chamber we've established here with people thinking he won't be back. There were some who thought he wouldn't be back this year for whatever reason. Then again, there were some who thought Lander would only be here this season, too. 

Yeah still not seeing it myself.  His FG% is down and hasn’t added enough aspects to his game. Have seen 0 mock drafts where he’s in the first round but seen a few that he’s not even on. 

I think he’s back. Which makes next year Cams year.  

I highly doubt any program in the country is clean to the extent they’re not violating some NCAA rules. I’d turn to an analogy of how what IU’s involvement.

I’d say IU is getting the “hand me down” clothes from big brother while other programs outfit their players with custom high end suits and top of the line jewelry.

I don’t know what any current player is receiving. I do know players were receiving “gifts” in past eras.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I guess I'm just a guy that doesn't care about how thick stripes are or whether there are names on that uniform. As long as they don't look outrageous. Yes, I know some of the responses I will get are "the kids care" or "we need to change" may be true. I don't

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yeah still not seeing it myself.  His FG% is down and hasn’t added enough aspects to his game. Have seen 0 mock drafts where he’s in the first round but seen a few that he’s not even on. 

I think he’s back. Which makes next year Cams year.  

He seemed ready to leave after last season but didn't because of the pandemic. 

49 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

A slick jersey as an alternate would be one thing.  Primary uniforms I'd keep the clean simple look and update cut/material.  Frankly though, I'm not convinced recruits care much (or at all) about how the jersey looks.

You'd be surprised. Basketball is a much different culture than football. Fashion is an odd part of it thanks to the NBA. 

57 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Why this always comes back to jerseys and traditions is beside me. This has zero to do with why Archie isn’t recruiting well. Zero.

Wins, tournament success, a free flowing offense, vision within the system, playing time, opportunity to get to the NBA. These are the things the recruits look at.

Regardless, Archie is slipping on the recruiting front and needs to figure things out. I loved the focused approach when it was working, but the Brooks, Carton, Kaufman, Garland type recruitments have me jaded.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I'd say jerseys are just part of the culture change that needs to happen. Setup for a new era and let the past stay in the past. That Comes with recruiting. How old was a kid like Lander when Indiana last win a conference championship? 7th or 8th grade? He wasn't even alive yet during our 2002 Final Four run. The Indiana these kids know is that of mediocrity, a has been, a relic. So freshness is greatly needed. A newer charm is needed. New jerseys, better social media, more YouTube hype videos for players and incoming recruits etc. We are still stuck 20 years behind. 

47 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Here’s my thing about Archie. He’s close to being who we need. But his teams all lack the simplest aspect of basketball.  Shooting.  If this team was shooting 37% from 3 instead of 29% we would be on a much different trajectory. 

Archie has this team doing the hard stuff to win.  Which makes the fact we are terrible god awful pathetic at shooting the ball even more unacceptable. 

Archie needs to man up. Swallow his pride and admit what he’s doing isn’t working.  

It’s too late this season. The time to improve shooting is the off-season.  Archie has one more year to turn it around.   And even then if he does it’s going to be tough moving forward because recruiting misses.  

Archie needs to scrap whatever offensive knowledge he has and just throw it in the trash. Which it probably isnt a whole lot. Defensively it's whatever. 90% of defense is effort and hustle. We even had a couple good defensive teams under Crean. Even without being able to shoot, you can run a solid offense. You just have to move bodies and the ball a lot. We still stick with lazy ball screens and two dudes in the paint. 

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Archie needs to scrap whatever offensive knowledge he has and just throw it in the trash. Which it probably isnt a whole lot. Defensively it's whatever. 90% of defense is effort and hustle. We even had a couple good defensive teams under Crean. Even without being able to shoot, you can run a solid offense. You just have to move bodies and the ball a lot. We still stick with lazy ball screens and two dudes in the paint. 

^^Said no basketball coach. EVER.^^