Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Give Coach Tom Allen a MONSTER extension.

With the extension/raise he got last yr he is currently the 33rd highest paid coach in the country. I don’t see the school having an issue with bumping him higher if need be. His buyout as of 12/1 is $20 million, that’s the 14th highest in the country.

Unless the numbers from USA Today are wrong, if so ignore everything I posted lol
https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’m sure it’s wrong since you posted it!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, HoosierDYT said:

Looking at that list I think it’d be difficult to give him more than $5M annually. He’s already over $3M, so maybe just pile on incentives and such?

I think it would honestly mean more to him if he got $500,000 extra for assistants to split up.  I didn’t realize his raise put him to there.  Good for him.  Definitely deserved and earned.  

3 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Womack and Sheridan will not be around long, nor should we expect them to be.

But, LOTS of assistants will want to be a part of the culture that CTA has established.

All good times ahead--not much that could change that sunny scenario!

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

But, LOTS of assistants will want to be a part of the culture that CTA has established.

I don’t disagree. But I don’t want to see the Coordinator role become a revolving door. Some continuity would be nice. 

23 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Agreed.  It stinks, but it's a part of having a successful football program.  If people don't want to hire your coaches away, you probably suck.

Another sunny thought, didn't Tom Allen recruit these kids more than the assistants?   Good days ahead

The DC position doesn't worry me as much as the OC. Tom Allen is defensive minded and will choose an assistant he trusts. OC is the one I'd like to have continuity with. I think we have Sheridan at least one more year but all bets are off with Wommack

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I think what I hope is we pay them enough where the South Alabama’s of the world aren’t what intrigues our coordinators.  You look at assistants from consistent schools and their position coaches aren’t for long, but the coordinators are waiting on that named position.  After the year we have had I hope if they leave it’s for a power 5 bump up.  

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

I think what I hope is we pay them enough where the South Alabama’s of the world aren’t what intrigues our coordinators.  You look at assistants from consistent schools and their position coaches aren’t for long, but the coordinators are waiting on that named position.  After the year we have had I hope if they leave it’s for a power 5 bump up.  

Exactly. I want us to be at the point where guys are only able to be lured away by a power 5 head coaching gig. 

Don’t have much to say other than the last few posts hit it home. A good program has OCs that are constantly looked at by other schools but only willing to leave for a power 5 HC gig. Also, Allen has had great defenses since he’s been at IU and that side of the ball is something I’ll always be confident in. Sheridan will stick around another year likely but hopefully future OCs will be lured to IU to coach under Allen with some talented offensive guys.

Don’t have much to say other than the last few posts hit it home. A good program has OCs that are constantly looked at by other schools but only willing to leave for a power 5 HC gig. Also, Allen has had great defenses since he’s been at IU and that side of the ball is something I’ll always be confident in. Sheridan will stick around another year likely but hopefully future OCs will be lured to IU to coach under Allen with some talented offensive guys.

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

If this success continues we need to get used to the revolving door.  Part of CTA's job is hiring the proper folk for his team. 

Regarding OC, last year he hit a grand slam with the Kalen DeBoer hire.  He was gone in one year.  A couple years before he got on base a few times with the Mike DeBord hire.  This year's hire has been an awesome internal hire that kept continuity.  However, that will not be the normal.  Nick Sheridan will most likely move on the greener pastures after this season.  Money talks.  It's nothing personal, it's business. Something to think about, Kalen DeBoer was getting paid 800k for that one year IU.

Some folks here have hit the nail on the head.  Here's a prime example.  IU's last HC was paid roughly 1.3 million for 5 years.  The only exception was his last year at IU where he was getting paid 2.3 million.  He's now getting paid 1.2 million to the be the OC at OSU.  IU's current OC is getting paid 450k.  You can see the stark difference here and the revolving door will happen should the success continue.  Being able to make the right hires in order to reload so to speak will require a nice lure to entice established coaches.  That's why you see fired power 5 HC going back to being the coordinator coach he specialized in that got him the HC in the first place at the top programs in the nation.

I just provided the example of OC.  CTA has to do this with every single coach on his staff.  And I didn't even go into the Coach Mike Hart's of the team.  

If the athletic department is real about wanting this program to be top tier it will have to compete with the top tier programs at the administrative level as well.  I will say to be fair, when Kevin Wilson got hired by OSU his base salary for his first year there was 650k. (If I had to bet the baggage Wilson brought to OSU also played a part in the salary negations.)  So if you compare that to what IU paid DeBoer's first and only year, 800k, you can see IU is actually going in the right direction here. 

43 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

If this success continues we need to get used to the revolving door.  Part of CTA's job is hiring the proper folk for his team. 

Regarding OC, last year he hit a grand slam with the Kalen DeBoer hire.  He was gone in one year.  A couple years before he got on base a few times with the Mike DeBord hire.  This year's hire has been an awesome internal hire that kept continuity.  However, that will not be the normal.  Nick Sheridan will most likely move on the greener pastures after this season.  Money talks.  It's nothing personal, it's business. Something to think about, Kalen DeBoer was getting paid 800k for that one year IU.

Some folks here have hit the nail on the head.  Here's a prime example.  IU's last HC was paid roughly 1.3 million for 5 years.  The only exception was his last year at IU where he was getting paid 2.3 million.  He's now getting paid 1.2 million to the be the OC at OSU.  IU's current OC is getting paid 450k.  You can see the stark difference here and the revolving door will happen should the success continue.  Being able to make the right hires in order to reload so to speak will require a nice lure to entice established coaches.  That's why you see fired power 5 HC going back to being the coordinator coach he specialized in that got him the HC in the first place at the top programs in the nation.

I just provided the example of OC.  CTA has to do this with every single coach on his staff.  And I didn't even go into the Coach Mike Hart's of the team.  

If the athletic department is real about wanting this program to be top tier it will have to compete with the top tier programs at the administrative level as well.  I will say to be fair, when Kevin Wilson got hired by OSU his base salary for his first year there was 650k. (If I had to bet the baggage Wilson brought to OSU also played a part in the salary negations.)  So if you compare that to what IU paid DeBoer's first and only year, 800k, you can see IU is actually going in the right direction here. 

Development of position coaches is important to factor in too.  Hopefully, we have those position coaches, especially in a year like COVID-2020, learning from the coordinators.  This would allow someone like Hart to step up in the coming years.

Development of position coaches is important to factor in too.  Hopefully, we have those position coaches, especially in a year like COVID-2020, learning from the coordinators.  This would allow someone like Hart to step up in the coming years.

WR Coach Heard is also the passing game coordinator and I feel he’s done a terrific job with the receivers. Coached with CTA at Ole Miss I believe and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him become the offensive head guy if Sheridan leaves eventually.