Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

Gregg Marshall resigns

Didn't see this posted anywhere else -- probably missed it and not sure what forum it would go in -- but Gregg Marshall has resigned from Wichita State after an internal investigation on player abuse.

Among them:

Punching a player

Choking an assistant coach

Telling a Native American player to "get back on his horse" and making Indian howling noises

Telling a Columbian player he would make a great "coffee bean picker"

and telling a white player that he was afraid of "brothers who were raised by their grandparents eating P B & J's".

There was a max exodus of players in the offseason (think eight transferred.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30335808/wichita-state-men-basketball-coach-gregg-marshall-resigns-investigation

19 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Never been a fan. Why does he get the buyout? That’s ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Agree.  I assume that was pennies on the dollar of a buyout he would have gotten so Wichita St settled.  Hell, Indiana paid Sampson $750,000 on a buyout and he broke NCAA rules.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Okay... I’ll be that guy: 

Apart from winning national championships and a very high graduation rate, are Marshall’s misdeeds all that different from RMK’s?

Marshall punched a player and choked an assistant coach, RMK choked a player and punched an assistant coach (Felling)

RMK had more than his share of off-color remarks, and the pretending to whip Calbert Cheney moment was more than a little bit racial.

Both RMK and Marshall had many people who left the program, especially in Knight’s final years.

I don't disagree.  But one thing that needs to be kept in mind is time frame.....Knight's actions were twenty five years or more ago at IU in a different era of discipline (not one I agree with, but it certainly was more accepted).  Marshall's occurred in a completely different one.  If nothing else, Marshall learned nothing from what has been happening to coaches that have been abusing players in the manner that he was doing.  Coaches have been fired in recent years for just one such instance of things Marshall did....Marshall has a collection.  Knight was more in the era where fans were defending the actions of some of the abuses.

Apart from winning national championships and a very high graduation rate, are Marshall’s misdeeds all that different from RMK’s?
Marshall punched a player and choked an assistant coach, RMK choked a player and punched an assistant coach (Felling)
RMK had more than his share of off-color remarks, and the pretending to whip Calbert Cheney moment was more than a little bit racial.
Both RMK and Marshall had many people who left the program, especially in Knight’s final years.
I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to open that can of worms.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

The difference is that Bobby Knight coached here and not there, so he gets a pass. If you win, your fan base gives you a pass and still reveres you and it’s the rest of the sporting landscape that is the issue. Just how like whenever an NCAA scandal happens, the fan base of school in trouble “actually know what is occurring” and the national narrative is just the haters coming out because they’re jealous.

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

Someone needs to post screenshots of all the IU fans that wanted him several years ago... 

I was one of them, unfortunately.  I completely got that wrong and so glad IU isn't in this mess.  The other coach I was pimping was Billy D.  But keep in mind I'm just some dude on the internet that thinks he knows everything.  LOL!

34 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I'm an Archie supporter! 

EDIT: It should be known that I was the leader of the tank train a few years. We got Tom Crean fired and that's what matters most at the end of the day. We weren't going anywhere (National Title) with him. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 7.03.08 PM.png

18 minutes ago, Josh said:

You are now, but you clearly weren't then.  Why is why it's so weird you keep bringing this topic up.

*why do my posts keep getting deleted?

Can you guys move away from the stuff about posts you didn’t like from the other guy from years ago and pleeeeeeeeease move on?

(Or take it to pms.)

Thanks