Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierAloha

Purdoodoo toiletmakers vs. THE Indiana Hoosiers (2/8 at 2:00 on ESPN)

8 hours ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Just can't figure Phinesee out. I understand injuries and all, but most of this latter half of the season he just doesn't look right. Was last season before his concussion just a fluke? SMH

Yes it was a fluke.

16 hours ago, OliviaPope40 said:

I always said Stevens was waiting for that job to open up.

Way too many Duke alums coaching that will be the next to take the reigns. Jeff Capel and Wojo are likely candidates depending on their situations when K decides to hang it up. Stevens is not untouchable. And Indiana is his home. He’s not waiting for Duke. 

9 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’ll say a big part of it revolves around Rob Phinisee. It started with recruiting. Garland was the dream target. Archie seemed a little undecided about Rob imo. Recruited a few other PGs. Anyway, injuries or otherwise Rob isn’t living up to what is needed as a star B1G level PG. Sadly, he’s still maybe our best guard because Durham is what he has always been even as a recruit who was an erratic shooter. Franklin is too young to judge, but clearly isn’t ready and should have probably been a redshirt at a school like Indiana or never even made the team. Green, what can I say that hasn’t been said.

Archie tried to get PGs and SGs above or in addition to Franklin. Strikes out over and over and we enter year with 2 open scholarships.

Now all our guards are what they’ve always been. We don’t have any answers and they are all scared shitless.

At this point I wouldn’t be shocked if Leal and Galloway deserve playing time on this team. But that’s not a good thing. They arent ready to be contributors on a good team. But our talent and confidence is so weak.

Same for this years team. We have a low end 5 star Freshman who is head and shoulders our best player. We won’t be a good team in that scenario. We need 2 other guys of his caliber to be what we want to be.

Just like college sports, it all goes back to recruiting, as it always does and that is where I’m shocked that Archie can’t get it done.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Very true. The idea that we are gonna bring in 3 star talent that suddenly becomes great as upperclassmen is crazy. See Al Durham. You MUST have talent.

55 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Very true. The idea that we are gonna bring in 3 star talent that suddenly becomes great as upperclassmen is crazy. See Al Durham. You MUST have talent.

3 and 4 stars are fine as long as you teach them and they get better. Have seen little to none of that 

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

My thoughts: 

Stevens has said many times over he can't stand recruiting 18-year-old kids. Plus doesn't like spending his summers at AAU events, wants to spend time with his family.

There is a cancer on this team. But it's the coach's fault if you keep playing the cancer. You have to try something different. Bench some people, quit playing guys, stop playing two bigs, try something, anything different. Not sure if he is too stubborn but he lost a lot of fans Saturday.

I don't think we will fire him because I don't think we will pay that buyout until next March. The athletic department doesn't have the money people thinks, there is a reason they keep borrowing from other IU departments. 

I think Fred is retiring because he doesn't know if Archie is the guy and he doesn't want to be the guy to make the decision to fire him. I've heard that from many different people.

If or when he is fired the next coach will be an IU guy. Beard isn't coming, Stevens isn' coming. IU made that call last time and it was a 10 seconds call. You are looking at Alford, Fife, Dusty May, Woodsen, Wittman may be some others I'm not thinking about.

Not sure we win another game. It hurts me to say that since I really like Archie. 

Why does it have to be an IU guy? None of those guys look like good hires. Just go hire the best coach. Pay them what they need to come here and turn this ship around. 

Just now, Drew L said:

Why does it have to be an IU guy? None of those guys look like good hires. Just go hire the best coach. Pay them what they need to come here and turn this ship around. 

We've tried that 3 times now, and it hasn't worked. The former players really wanted an IU guy last time, Glass snubbed them and just don't think that can happen again. Also the new AD is going to be an IU guy so I think they will go that route. Just my two cents. People think that were Indiana and we can just go hire whoever, but sorry coaches just don't want this job. 

2 minutes ago, Drew L said:

I agree with this. Those names, other than Fife, are simply not attractive. Cheaney and Guyton seem like the only logical names to bring back in the fold to me with a high quality crew of bench coaches. With that said, I also want to see Archie succeed.

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

We've tried that 3 times now, and it hasn't worked. The former players really wanted an IU guy last time, Glass snubbed them and just don't think that can happen again. Also the new AD is going to be an IU guy so I think they will go that route. Just my two cents. People think that were Indiana and we can just go hire whoever, but sorry coaches just don't want this job. 

If we have to hire an IU guy, then who do you think is the best option? Coaching wise? Recruiting wise? Potential staff? I know those are difficult to gauge, but those are huge questions or areas of concerns if it has to be an IU guy.

Edited by Drew L

It's much more than just recruiting.  It's coaching.  Yes our talent isn't where it needs to be, but it's good enough to win games we've lost.
San Diego St, Dayton, Seton Hall, Butler, Creighton....they don't have more talent than us, but they're much better teams than us.  It all comes back to coaching imo.  Archie ain't good enough.  In fact, he's pretty terrible at it.

They’re also not playing a Big Ten schedule either. We were all pretty confident after our non-con slate.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Just now, Bobman1 said:

They’re also not playing a Big Ten schedule either. We were all pretty confident after our non-con slate.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Exactly everyone wins at Dayton, just look at our current coach. Very rare a coach doesn't win at Butler too. I know nothing about SDS but Steve Fisher used to be there. I think Seton Hall has a good coach, isn't he from there or around New York.

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

I do not want to hire a guy who has not been successful at a high level before. Somebody who has proved they can do it. 

This this this!

Last time so many people wanted a young guy and we got Mid Major Miller.  No more.  Not again.

5 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Maybe Alford fits IU like Orgeron fits LSU. I feel like that is where this is going so we better hope so. 

Orgerons problems at Ole Miss was he couldn’t do what he needed on the recruiting trail He was successful at USC and LSU 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Orgerons problems at Ole Miss was he couldn’t do what he needed on the recruiting trailer. He was successful at USC and LSU 

You just furthered my point. thank you.