Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierAloha

Purdoodoo toiletmakers vs. THE Indiana Hoosiers (2/8 at 2:00 on ESPN)

5 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Rob

Armaan 

Jerome 

TJD

Joey 

That's my starting 5. It isn't pretty for sure. But I feel it's the best combo right now. 

At this point, I agree with those three statements:  that's my starting 5 right now;  it isn't pretty;  and it's the best combo.

8 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Exactly everyone wins at Dayton, just look at our current coach. Very rare a coach doesn't win at Butler too. I know nothing about SDS but Steve Fisher used to be there. I think Seton Hall has a good coach, isn't he from there or around New York.

Let's not be revisionist on a statement like 'everyone wins at Dayton' to diminish what Miller did do there.  They went to four straight tournaments under Miller when they had only been to four in the previous twenty-four years before that.  They went to only their third elite eight and first in thirty years under him.  His winning percentage there is better than any coach in the last fifty years.  They were independent until 1988 and won two conference titles under Miller....the only other two they ever had in the other 30 years were shared titles of the western division of the A10 when it was split in divisions.  You can certainly disparage what he's done here but the run he had at Dayton was not the norm there.

At this point, there are guys that previously I would not have been enamored with that I would now be fine with coaching IU.  Dane Fife would be one.

That said, I'm still not a guy comfortable with Steve Alford.  There are lots of shady things I could possibly look past, but what went down at Iowa is not one.

2 hours ago, coonhounds said:

Maybe by today's kids he just means today's iu kids lol. We haven't had a tough kid since yogi was here. Why can't iu get tough kids anymore that is the main problem imo

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think Juwan Morgan was tough enough.  Played through a lot of injuries and banged despite being undersized.  Didn't seem to have many players with the same attitude around him.

5 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Rob

Armaan 

Jerome 

TJD

Joey 

That's my starting 5. It isn't pretty for sure. But I feel it's the best combo right now. 

Archie said he wanted the Indiana recruits. Pull the trigger and make that the starting lineup. It’s the only glimmer of hope he has left

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

"Today's kids" play for the teams that are beating us, playing harder than us, and playing with more focus than us.

I have three teenagers and I coach teenagers. Today's kids are fine.

As a teacher, I'll take most of today's kids over a lot of their parents.  Think it's even worse when we are talking about basketball parents.  There is something to be said about recruiting a good player with parents who stay out of the huddle than great players whose parents want to be in it.  Ultimately, that might have been the problem with Romeo.

I think Juwan Morgan was tough enough.  Played through a lot of injuries and banged despite being undersized.  Didn't seem to have many players with the same attitude around him.
Morgan was tough as in physically but not a guy who could motivate his team and be a strong leader. We need a guy who can get on our guys and they respect them and respond. We don't have a leader on the court imo.

At this point, there are guys that previously I would not have been enamored with that I would now be fine with coaching IU.  Dane Fife would be one.
That said, I'm still not a guy comfortable with Steve Alford.  There are lots of shady things I could possibly look past, but what went down at Iowa is not one.

Cool with Fife and not Alford. Perplexing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, cthomas said:

We talk a lot about heart and pride and how we don't have anyone to be that guy. But, think about how today's kids grow up playing the game. Think about their priorities. AAU is all about showcasing individual talent. It's part of the process of getting to the next level and then the one after that. They play a lot of games and they lose a lot of games. Losing doesn't matter that much if individually they look good and demonstrate their skills for whoever is watching. I just think the mentality is different from what most of us think. When I played, and I was not good, winning meant everything. Losing meant I wanted to fight someone. I'm not advocating that anyone punch somebody, but I just believe the kids don't care to the same degree as in the past. The priorities are different.

Dead on. Its the current culture. Kids will quit on you in a heartbeat. Ive seen in basketball, volleyball and soccer. HS and college.  Frustrates the hell out of me with my kids because the culture I grew up with was different.

2 hours ago, coonhounds said:

Maybe by today's kids he just means today's iu kids lol. We haven't had a tough kid since yogi was here. Why can't iu get tough kids anymore that is the main problem imo

Zach McRoberts was tough.  Played with hustle and urgency 100% of the time.  

Archie even killed his spirit his senior year.

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Zach McRoberts was tough.  Played with hustle and urgency 100% of the time.  

Archie even killed his spirit his senior year.

Yes just wasnt very talented. Last talented kid who was tough was Yogi. Morgan quit or didnt show up many times.

5 hours ago, lillurk said:

It’d be easier to stomach the idea of Alford if he admitted he made some bad choices...and if he had any track record of success.

Give him time.  He's only had about fifteen years to either explain it away or admit his unethical (if not illegal) acts.

Yes just wasnt very talented. Last talented kid who was tough was Yogi. Morgan quit or didnt show up many times.

Can’t recall ever seeing Morgan quit. Having a tough game (not showing up), sure...but quitting??? Nah

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

39 minutes ago, Napleshoosier said:

I wouldn’t have a problem with Whitman and Woodson running this program. Maybe then in 10 years Vic would want the job!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I think that ship has sailed.  They are career NBA guys in their 60s.  Off the top of my head I can't recall any coaches that did that with great success (I'm sure if there are some, people will correct me).  Patrick Ewing comes to mind as he was a career NBA guy who is almost 60, but his time so far at Georgetown has been very mediocre.  I know Chris Mullin came back to St.John's but he went 59-73 in four years.