Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Josh

IU vs Rutgers game thread

6 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Sean went 16-15 first year like Archie and taken off since. Don't want the cheating but he's won big since in 8 years with 5 conference championships and 3 elite 8's and 2 additional Sweet 16's.

Remove the improprieties and i'll gladly take Archie matching those results next 8 years. They certainly had identical records and seasons in every way their first years.

Also, Tony Bennett went 15-16 and 16-15 his first two years at UVA. Coaches need their guys. 

12 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Yeah definitely, like I said with a better roster that’s 100% the move to make. I just wonder if that robotic “this is what to do in that situation” mentality doesn’t sometimes cost a team without the backfill. Because that’s us. That’s this team. Would you guys adjust?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

There were some games where Juwan had 2 fouls early and came back in to play in the first half. I think tonight with only 5 minutes left, you hope you can weather it until the half.  

9 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Does anyone else not like the “2 fouls and sit no matter what” approach Archie takes in the first half of games? I’m not trying to pick the coach apart here. He has my full support but, wouldn’t having Juwan for a few more minutes in the 1st tonight have been able to keep Rutgers from blowing us up like that? He finished the game with 2 fouls if I’m not mistaken. Hindsight is 20/20 of course but I think he makes that mistake more than he helps save the third foul. If we had a better roster I’d say heck yeah, take him out till the 2nd but, with the deficiencies of this roster, don’t you need to either let it ride, or bring him back in when it gets out of hand? Anyway, it’s over now. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I definitely feel your pain with that policy. There was an article in the Indianapolis paper a couple of days ago about how Coach Miller follows his plan without deviation no matter what is going on. Reminds me of another young coach back in the early '70's. He used to drive me crazy too. 

Guys, he played Juwan at times this season in the first half with 2 fouls. Not all the time, but there times it happened. Let’s not create a narrative that isn’t there. 

No. Absolutely let’s not. 100% not my intention here. The question I posed was specific to these players and tonight’s first half meltdown. I felt it was answered very well. While my opinion was that bringing Juwan back in, might have helped to stem the tide, he may also have picked up a 3rd which ends the game before halftime. Archie sticking to his script and not bringing him back was the correct decision 100%. I assure you guys I was simply looking to see if any of you would have taken the gamble.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 hours ago, pumpfake said:

Yeah, I don't really give a rat's patootie about the rest of the tournament(s) after we've flamed out.  Growing weary of waiting for that big breakthrough.  What makes it doubly depressing is that for me, it's no more sports til football season - almost six months of nothing but speculating and begging for a recruiting "win".

In retrospect, I sure am glad I saw the Bob Knight comments about Archie this morning - particularly the part about patience.

You just need to go out and buy a really nice Cubs hat.  That's all.  You should see what Schwarber looks like this year in Spring Training after training Rocky style all winter.  No more baby fat.  None.  Or become a Hoosier baseball fan.  Hoosiers are looking really good this year.

8 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I don’t think I’ve ever been so relieved to see a season end early. This season has been exhausting as a fan.

Last season couldn't have ended soon enough.  This season was close.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Worst loss for IU basketball in a long, long time.  I'm really disappointed in the lack of F###ing progress we made this season.

You know what I love most about this is that I can see Archie doing the exact same thing as Knight.  I will say progress was made this season but to not make the NCAA tournament is unacceptable to Archie, and if Archie didn't feel that way we would all be "disappointed".  Archie is not getting paid to miss the tournament no matter how bad the roster is and I think this will eat/burn all offseason which will make us better.  

I see Green and Moore leaving. No connections just a guess.  You better be tough if you want to play here. I’m actually starting to come around on Al Jimmy.. He plays hard.

I still think future is bright, however Archie made the wrong decision not stopping Rutgers momentum with a timeout.  For the most part of the season we got nothing from an injured Hartman and our starting center Davis has been out from surgery. 

I believe we have the right coach it just isn’t going to happen overnight.

If we want to talk strictly wins over his replacement - I'd be willing to bet that Archie was good for at least 4 more wins with this team. Can you imagine a Crean team that can't hit the three? At least Archie got them to play defense.

We would've lost last night with Crean as well.