Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mookied39

MSU....Heat on Izzo?

Sadly, reading between the lines of both coaches statements, it seems obvious that they still don't get it. The implied victim blaming by the actions not taken against the perpetrators is disgusting and unacceptable. When the importance of sports becomes more important than people we have a serious, apparently systemic, problem. Who knows how deep it goes at MSU or for that matter society as a whole.
Well fans keep going and supporting guys like this, Pitino, and Roy Williams. If the stadiums were empty this would not be tolerated, but fans are hypocrites.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

Three were mentioned. Travis Walton is the former MSU player and asst coach that worked for the Clippers.

Keith Appling is currently serving a year in the Wayne County jail on a concealed weapon charge. 

I think I got my ex-MSU scumbag PGs mixed up. Appling is currently in prison for weapons charges. Travis Walton is the aforementioned Clippers asst coach.

thanks for the assist!

32 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Sadly, reading between the lines of both coaches statements, it seems obvious that they still don't get it. The implied victim blaming by the actions not taken against the perpetrators is disgusting and unacceptable. When the importance of sports becomes more important than people we have a serious, apparently systemic, problem. Who knows how deep it goes at MSU or for that matter society as a whole.

It is not the importance of sport.  It is the importance of $$$

Root of all evil'd

31 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

Three were mentioned. Travis Walton is the former MSU player and asst coach that worked for the Clippers.

Keith Appling is currently serving a year in the Wayne County jail on a concealed weapon charge. 

I was looking for this... lol. I was 90% sure Appling was in jail. I think the ESPN article included that for background. 

The Country is so worked up about this type of thing , I would be really surprised if either coach survives . Best case for Izzo is he wins the National Championship and then "retires" . Not likely to happen . IMO

https://sports.yahoo.com/disappointing-michigan-states-tom-izzo-chose-caution-candor-friday-night-054633770.html

I was 100% of that line of thinking......but I am starting to go back and forth.  The pressure at MSU when the new leadership takes over to clean house will be serious.  
I guess but winning trumps all. How did Bob knight last as long as he did.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

The pressure will continue to build at MSU and, while winning does trump all in normal circumstances, the reputation of the entire university is and will continue to be at stake. The incoming president and AD better not accept their new positions unless they are ready to call some difficult shots. Somebody has to be punished, and I'm hedging on football being the sacrificial offering to save face as a university. Basketball will be spared at all costs until the bitter end of controversy.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

There are 37 known instances of sexual assault (ASSAULT, not even misconduct.  Assault is a huge word) within the men's basketball and football programs since 2010.  The president of MSU apparently knew, the AD apparently knew, and Mark Emmert apparently knew.   Does anyone thing Izzo's clean in all of this?

At some point, this has to break.  Between this, the gymnastics mess, U of Louisville; the FBI investigation from late last year....

I think Mark Emmert will be done.  I think the NCAA will see the beginning of its end as the governing body of D1 sports; and college athletics as we know them will never be the same.   Paying coaches what universities do, and getting in bed with shoe companies was a bad idea from the start; let alone put so much focus on AAU teams and coaches; many sponsored by the shoe companies.

The NCAA is in as big a mess as MSU is; and yeah...I think Izzo takes part of the fall eventually.

22 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I think Mark Emmert will be done.  I think the NCAA will see the beginning of its end as the governing body of D1 sports; and college athletics as we know them will never be the same.   Paying coaches what universities do, and getting in bed with shoe companies was a bad idea from the start; let alone put so much focus on AAU teams and coaches; many sponsored by the shoe companies.

Small potatoes compared to actual crimes, but Mike Vrabel also admitted that the NCAA was essentially a minor league system for the NFL where the coaches essentially get paid multi-millions to prep players when he took the Titans job last week.