Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

Exhibition Game Thread: Marian University

In regards to Johnson, the missed shots don't bother me as much as the lack of awareness or desire to feed the post. When the ball went inside...things went very well for us. Of all the guards....Johnson SEEMED miss the post feed the most. Jones was bad about it to begin with but settled in. That is a problem going forward. He likes to drive...you can see that a mile away, but the new offense almost demands a post insertion early in the possession to really let us do what we want to do. That is my sincere concern for Johnson going forward.

24 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Devonte Green has arguably as much potential as anyone on this team. You could see glimpses of it last year. Crean was just too dumb to see it. The guy can play

No... Crean wasn’t too dumb to see it. Green is a a much improved player this year.

I’m just as happy as the next guy to have Miller coaching but let’s not call Crean dumb for failing to hand the team to a freshman still learning how to play at this level. 

No... Crean wasn’t too dumb to see it. Green is a a much improved player this year.
I’m just as happy as the next guy to have Miller coaching but let’s not call Crean dumb for failing to hand the team to a freshman still learning how to play at this level. 

Maybe he didn't mean hand the team to him but i remember we were all perplexed as to why more playing time was not given to him. That was dumb but typical for him to do

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

With respect to Rob, I think some of us are reading far too much into one poor shooting night.
I'll watch the BTN replay, but we have three years' worth of evidence of who he can be, plus a summer in which he was perhaps the most lauded player by his new coach.
He's a career 39.6% 3 point shooter on a lot of attempts. He was 0/5 last night, and someone mentioned he missed five layups. I'm glad he was cold against Marian and not against Duke.
He had five boards, four assists, and a steal, with no turnovers. If a normal number of shots fall, his numbers would've rivaled Green's. Let's not write him off just yet.

This

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

In regards to Johnson, the missed shots don't bother me as much as the lack of awareness or desire to feed the post. When the ball went inside...things went very well for us. Of all the guards....Johnson SEEMED miss the post feed the most. Jones was bad about it to begin with but settled in. That is a problem going forward. He likes to drive...you can see that a mile away, but the new offense almost demands a post insertion early in the possession to really let us do what we want to do. That is my sincere concern for Johnson going forward.

RoJo has never been s good passer.Thats why I always laughed to myself at the notion of him running the point.
Robert is a shooting guard whos streaky as hell.
He'll come out of it.

Sent from my LGL41C using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Green clearly showed last year he deserved more minutes

22 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Devonte Green has arguably as much potential as anyone on this team. You could see glimpses of it last year. Crean was just too dumb to see it. The guy can play

Yup. You could definitely see the flashes he had last season. I was extremely high on Green last year, as were a few others. Really excited to see him thriving so far.

22 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

When you have an alpha dog you put that alpha dog in a position to lead and succeed. I don't think FCTC could see this because he wasn't an alpha dog. CAM is and can see it.

In the best case scenario, your alpha dog is also a upperclassman. However, if he's not you get your upperclassmen to fall in line with it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree with this. From what we've seen of the upper classmen, who strikes you as a leader? Newkirk, Johnson, Colin, McSwain, Priller, Morgan? They all seem like great guys...but not THE guy. I can see Hartman taking the role a little, but Green has "it" much more so then anyone else.  

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

That Newkirk played well in the back half of the season?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

No haha. But he did play well. I still think Devonte should’ve had more minutes than what he got

15 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

No haha. But he did play well. I still think Devonte should’ve had more minutes than what he got

He was the 6th man in the rotation if I just look at total minutes, averaging 15 mins per game (more than De'Ron, Cujo and McRoberts). Crean wasn't exactly hiding him on the bench. Green also had more turnovers than assists. He wasn't better than any of the starters last year. Yes, he had potential, but he wasn't ready.

The idea that Crean was "dumb" to not play him more is nonsense.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/84/indiana-hoosiers

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

He was the 6th man in the rotation if I just look at total minutes, averaging 15 mins per game (more than De'Ron, Cujo and McRoberts). Crean wasn't exactly hiding him on the bench. Green also had more turnovers than assists. He wasn't better than any of the starters last year. Yes, he had potential, but he wasn't ready.

The idea that Crean was "dumb" to not play him more is nonsense.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/84/indiana-hoosiers

Yeah I think the feeling most of us had last year was more "this relatively lowly rated guy really may turn into something" and less "he should be playing over Rob or Newkirk."

I believe he had the highest turnover rate on the team, and as detailed elsewhere, both Rob and Newkirk played well down the stretch.

Just watched the game and listening to Max B. do color was at least mildly entertaining. What I took away from the game:

1) Davis doesn't look awkward like he did last year; Miller's conditioning drills have at least shaken that out. First half he looked timid, but I think he'll come on to be the monster we want him to be. He appears to be a kid that has to be coached tightly, and fortunately I think we have a staff that will do that.

2) Moore looked like a boy among men. Obviously he needs to bulk up some. Don't see him as a legit backup center. The fact that he didn't get into the game until about midway through the second half says to me CAM isn't counting on him too much right now.

3) Green was the man of the hour. Max was slobbering all over himself about how he expects him to be the leading scorer on the team.

4) RoJo didn't take ridiculous shots, so it concerns me that at least a couple of them didn't fall. However, I'll hold off saying he has to get out of his slump for a couple more games.

5) It seemed we played excellent defense until the shot clock got down to the final seconds. A lot of Marian's points came in the closing seconds of the shot clock. I wish I could say it was because desperate shots went in, but many of them were decent shots that weren't contested as they should have been. We can't release guys to the other end too soon. This can be fixed quickly.

6) Morgan and Newkirk had solid games, but Juwan's old foul bugaboo showed up in the first half...surprising to me because I attributed his high fouls/game last year to the fact he was running at half speed due to injuries. One or two of those fouls might not have been called in a more competitive game, though.