Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

2018 General Recruiting Thread

To go a little further in time and make a lot more assumptions the 2019 class will be interesting.  How the 2018 class finishes out will effect what happens in 2019 (duh).

Assumptions:

• 2018 finishes with Phinisee, Langford, and Forrester
  • Attrition takes place and we lose a player to transfer
  • Smith, Hunter, and Anderson play on the wing at the 2-3

We are in on some top 2019 players that are seriously considering IU; Hurt (6), Watford (13), and Brooks (21).  I believe we take 3, 2 "bigs" (big SF to C types) and a guard, in this class.  That would leave us with a really, really good team according to the recruiting services.

Seniors:

1. Davis (41) - starting 5 with talent and experience
  2. Jones (74) - sixth man that provides a spark and shooting
  3. Green (241) - starting point, experienced ball handler that can bring the ball up the court

Juniors:

1. Smith (75) - athletic wing that could play small ball 4
  2. Thompson (99) - versatile big that could play the 4 or backup the 5
  3. Moore (152) - wildcard, has developed game to create mismatch at the 4
  4. Durham (229) - ball handler with shiftiness to get into the lane

Sophomores:

1. Hunter (61) - starting 2
  2. Anderson (86) - shooter off the bench
  3. Phinisee (96) - backup PG ability to run the team
  4. Forrester (156) - backup big developing to contribute as an upperclassman

Freshmen:

1. Hurt (6) - starting 4, talent
  2. Brooks (21) - starting 3, talent
  3. Guard -

Guards:  Phinisee, Green, Durham, Jones, 2019 guard

Small wings: Anderson, Hunter, Smith

Big Wings: Moore, Hurt, Brooks

Bigs:  Forrester, Thompson, Davis

16 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Honestly a lot better initial class than I thought. That is a top 20 class out the gate while getting a couple of kids from instate. No star power for this class if it went that way, but solid foundation. Add Romeo and it is a stellar class.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Agree completely. It's a great class, but it would be inflated by the number of recruits we get. In reality it's likely a top 20ish class. Really missing the star power without a Romeo or Garland, but I'm hopeful Hunter can become that guy for us in a couple years.

Regardless if Romeo commits to IU it's a solid class.  I believe with just Hunter, Anderson, Phinisee, and Forrester it's a borderline top 10 class.  Typically, winning programs are built on top 100 players.  That would be 3/4 top 100 players to start for Archie.  As Archie develops the program it'll be key to get those top 100 players to be willing to play small roles their first few years.  A foundation of top 100 upperclassmen sprinkled with a few underclassmen stars is the key to success, imo.

Regardless if Romeo commits to IU it's a solid class.  I believe with just Hunter, Anderson, Phinisee, and Forrester it's a borderline top 10 class.  Typically, winning programs are built on top 100 players.  That would be 3/4 top 100 players to start for Archie.  As Archie develops the program it'll be key to get those top 100 players to be willing to play small roles their first few years.  A foundation of top 100 upperclassmen sprinkled with a few underclassmen stars is the key to success, imo.

Oh absolutely it's a solid foundation class. Most every Final Four team has players rated as 5* on its team. I am very happy for this start, and it's better than what I thought. But as much as I hate using rankings we do need those 5* to add to this type of a class to be a true contender. With what I think we could get in 2019 I think we are in business.

Oh absolutely it's a solid foundation class. Most every Final Four team has players rated as 5* on its team. I am very happy for this start, and it's better than what I thought. But as much as I hate using rankings we do need those 5* to add to this type of a class to be a true contender. With what I think we could get in 2019 I think we are in business.

Agree completely.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Agreed, if we do land Romeo we should have a 5* on the team for awhile. A few in 2019 isn't out of the question. I'd hope that we land some of the Yogi and Zeller type 5* that stick around for more than a year though.

25 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Arizona keeps rolling 2 top 40 players that are pg for 2018

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Maybe we could work a brother to brother trade out with them?  We should have a plethora of wings next year.  Wonder what they'd want in return for one of their top 40 pgs..

Arizona keeps rolling 2 top 40 players that are pg for 2018

They are a machine but they also don't have the competition on the west coast for players like we do in the Midwest. Ucla and Arizona own california.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Saturday, Dec. 9, Southport HS.  Lots of high caliber talent and IU targets participating.

DGzYsfpUMAEY46Z.jpg

Oh man!  What a day!  What is this event called?  Will there be a problem getting tickets at the door?

EDIT:  I see now.  Forum Tipoff.

Edited by Stromboli

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

A perfectly scheduled event considering matchups and which teams are selected. Fantastic!

I'm not a huge Brian Snow fan but he put together one heck of a schedule as the director of the event.