Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

12 minutes ago, Dizz said:

The thing is, without the Billy Donovan pipedream that everyone got hyped for (including myself), there are only two coaches you could argue that were real possibilities who are better than Archie.  Marshall and Bennett.  Outside of those two, who do you think would be better than Archie?  No one in my opinion.

Very good point.  Personally, I feel Marshall has proven himself more but has apparently proven be a difficult guy to have working for you (AD). Either one of those guys would be generating equal amounts of griping, I suspect.  Maybe not from the same posters (although there are maybe a couple who would have complained no matter what).

After the longshot of Billy D, I'm not sure any of the names mentioned would be consensus choices and each would come with question marks.

We got a got a guy acknowledged to be on most everyone's list. I know many want to poo-poo 0708, but he said there were talks with BD and he turned down a lot of money (and that his wife was a large factor in him turning it down).

If you're gonna exclude Creans first few years shouldn't you exclude Archie's first two

I just used the stats from the last 7 years, though, Archie's Elite 8 run happened during a year where his stats were very weak. Also, not sure that he had an equivalent rebuild. I am pretty sure there was more talent (in a lesser conference) on AM's first squad than on Crean's first three combined.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BtownBanners mobile app

Reason archie was my favorite choice after stevens donovan is he is young and has major upside. He looks like hw has alot of energy ans i believe he will be successful and have many great years at iu. Cant wait for October lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, iufaninillinois said:

So, he's been hired for what 3 hrs and you want to know this? Makes no sense. At least give him a day couple days.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Pap would know which recruits were receptive to the hire 

Gregg marshall: boo his drunk @$$ wife ruined his shot

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using BtownBanners mobile app

I honestly think Miller is the better "get" of the two. Marshall is a lot link Crean, and I think Miller will be more personable and relatable to Hoosiers, recruits, alums, boosters, lil old ladies, millennials, and fans of hard nosed basketball from Crown Point to Cannelton.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I feel a lot better now than I did when I heard the Crean hiring announcement 9 years ago. I definitely think he has a lot of potential and can lead us out of the wilderness. He can make this a consistent top twenty and usaually a top ten team. 

The crean hiring was not exciting. It was essentually this is the only guy who will take job.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

I would change that to say IU WAS an elite job.  Miller could be great, but I see the hire as a gamble.  Pedigree is no better than Crean's was 9 years ago.  Granted IU is in a completely different place, though.

But if IU is such an elite job, I don't think you have to hire a coach at almost 6 times his current salary. 

Well Archie made $1.2 MM in 2014 and received a raise in 2016 so I'm not sure how your math works out.

Edited by HoosierX

1 minute ago, coonhounds said:

Reason archie was my favorite choice after stevens donovan is he is young and has major upside. He looks like hw has alot of energy ans i believe he will be successful and have many great years at iu. Cant wait for October lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Let me preface this by saying that I will support Archie and I hope that he does well.  I am glad that Crean is gone.  But I have to ask, what gives Archie more "upside" than mid major guys will equal or better resumes?  With a little looking, one could find 8-10 guys who would fit into that category.  Tom Crean had a lot of energy too.  I understand that people want to be either excited or pissed.  I just don't understand the unquantifiable "upside" that people keep touting.  It seems to me that people basically, "have a good feeling about this" and that is fine, just not a logic based argument.

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Based on how this went down I can see why Glass said no search firm then hired a search firm.

I think Glass thought he would get his 1st or 2nd choice. (Donovan or Alford is my guess). When that didn't happen he had to change his approach.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If that's true, I'd call it a lose/win.  LOL

2 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

Well Archie made $1.2 MM in 2014 and received a raise in 2016 so I'm not sure how your math works out.

His math may be off but he sure as hell ain't worth more then Izzo.

First I want to say Congrats to Coach Miller. I am sure as a young coach you and your family could not be more excited then you are right at this moment. As a long time fan I wish you the best. 

Now lets get to good old Fred. Did he lie? well just a little. What is Millers connection to Indiana high school coaches? did Glass reach out to them as he said he would? Sure would be nice if he had about 10 to 15 high school coaches are at the presser that he reached out too. The proven winner and deep runs at an elite level, not seeing that one here. Does he have any in state connections? 

I have seen this posted already and I agree the program is not the destination or the elite job we want it to be. Now it could be, but we still have the wrong leadership in charge.The powers to be made a choice long ago to destroy the program to make it a more worldly accepted place for the elites to gather and feel good about doing what is good to the eye. 

So until Coach Miller wins not one, but two national titles IU will not be elite again. You have to have high level success on a permanent basis to be considered elite and right now we are just a has been. I wish Coach all the luck in the world and I hope he brings the program back before I kick the bucket.  

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

My stance is disappointment because of expectations. Archie COULD be very good for us. If he can recruit anything like his brother I'll be ecstatic about our chances.

Like rebel said, I was just hoping our resources and status could get us our top target (I bet glass was too).

Glass said Archie was on his short list from the beginning, meaning he was not our top choice, clearly.

I'm excited to see IU under different direction than Crean but I just hoped we would making a statement hire with much less uncertainty.

His first recruiting cycle and season will be telling.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Who was your top target...one name