Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

14 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I do understand what they do. Multiple things they do.

Fred Glass explicitly said no search firm during his PC. This changed a few days later.

Makes complete sense when option 1 didn't go the way he thought, more "talks"needed done.

I'm convinced Archie wasn't option 1. Glass said "he was on the short list early on". He could have said we got our guy or many other ways of phrasing it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

By your list, option one and two required a search firm sooooo

I wasn't really old enough to be on boards when we hired Crean. What was the general feeling when we hired him?

It was optimistic that we hired a coach with name recognition knowing the mess we were about to dive into. Nobody thought anybody with a job would take over the mess

3 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Yep. Dayton board is shitting. UK fans are saying "wow actually surprised by this great hire." I haven't found one negative thing outside of this board.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Well, that's encouraging.  I remember Marquette was glad Crean left.  Archie wasn't my first choice, or even my second or third, but I will support him, and hope he brings IU basketball back to glory.

This hire is only risky due to him being a mid major coach, having said that, he was able to do quite a bit with what he had at Dayton. If Archie can recruit the state even a fraction better than Crean did and he can bring a strong defensive mindset to this team I think we'll turn out fine. I'm interested to see who stays and who goes from here. It's been pretty quiet about who's heading out and who's staying, will play a big role in how his first year turns out

I will support him FULL force. 100%. I think he is a good coach. I'm hopeful he can start recruiting 5 star talent. If he recruits like Sean I'll be thrilled.

I'm just going through another period of settling where I hoped Fred Glass opening up the wallet would have been an 'instant impact', 'world take notice' type hire. I really, really thought he was swinging for the fences. I actually think he did swing.

Ultimately excited to see what Archie can do.

His math may be off but he sure as hell ain't worth more then Izzo.

More of an indicator that Michigan state is getting away with highway robbery imo. Izzo worth more than $4 million

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I did some checking to see how the two schools did vs. common opponents this past season. Here is what I found:

Austin Peay: Dayton W 96-68 (Home), IU W 97-62 (Home)

Nebraska: Dayton L 78-80 (in Calif), IU L 55-68 (Away), W 63-62 (Home)

Northwestern: Dayton L 64-67 (Away), IU L 55-68 (Away), W 63-62 (Home)

So: 

vs. Austin Peay: they were pretty even.

vs. Nebraska: I would argue Dayton did a better job considering game location.

vs. Northwestern: Dayton did MUCH better playig at NU than IU did.

Make of it what you may. I also posted this in the Archie Miller hired thread.

Quick note people that think comparing Crean here is okay with comparing Archie at Dayton. He took the IU job because it was a step up. If it was the exact same he doesnt leave Dayton for a more pressured job. Crean had a hell of a lot more advantages and bigger advantages to use to his advantage at IU than Archie could use at Dayton. Success at a mid major is harder than it looks and we seem to think. Gonzaga, George Mason, WSU, VCU, Butler and Dayton are the only true mid majors with legit tourney success. You can probably throw the Zags off that list so that means 4 schools. At a program like IU the expectation is to win and compete for B1G titles and tourney runs each year. At Dayton their expectation is be good and make the tourney and be happy. So for the expectations that Archie had he did amazing. 4 straight trips and an Elite Eight spot. What do we expect Dayton to do? Constantly compete for Sweet Sixteens lol? Anytime any coach makes the switch he is making you expect him to be as good as he was and better because they get more money to spend recruiting, a bigger fan base, better facilities and when it comes to elite jobs like IU you expect the brand to help a lot as well. Yes you compete with better teams. I cant believe people are actually comparing what Dayton has done compared to IU. If you are gonna do anything compare him to the other true mid majors and he is far and away the best choice. Zags dont count and Butler and Xavier are in the Big East. VCU and WSU are the only schools that are on the level. WSU has a lot more resources than Dayton as well. WSU has KU and Missouri to deal with in recruiting. Dayton has Xavier, OSU, Cincy, IU, Butler, Purdue and ND in the area. If you don't like the hire your entitled to your own opinions but please lets not be realistically expecting Dayton to have better success than IU. That is a truly stupid argument in my book. Anything else is validated. He is 38 too. He is still very young and growing as a coach. Even if he was a finished product he still would be a good fit here. But the potential to bring us back to elite is what excites me. Carry on.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

I did some checking to see how the two schools did vs. common opponents this past season. Here is what I found:

Austin Peay: Dayton W 96-68 (Home), IU W 97-62 (Home)

Nebraska: Dayton L 78-80 (in Calif), IU L 55-68 (Away), W 63-62 (Home)

Northwestern: Dayton L 64-67 (Away), IU L 55-68 (Away), W 63-62 (Home)

So: 

vs. Austin Peay: they were pretty even.

vs. Nebraska: I would argue Dayton did a better job considering game location.

vs. Northwestern: Dayton did MUCH better playing at NU than IU did.

Make of it what you may. I also posted this in the "Who do we hire" thread.

You want me to name 1?

Tony Bennett. I've said it all year long.

Also, for ME, I'd have taken Alford. (Couldn't because 1/4 of IU fans hate him) but he would have been successful with the fanbase behind him.

With an Alford hire, I would have been paying much more attention to what was happening with Butlers program

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

You want me to name 1?

Tony Bennett. I've said it all year long.

Also, for ME, I'd have taken Alford. (Couldn't because 1/4 of IU fans hate him) but he would have been successful with the fanbase behind him.

Agree on Tony. No actual source I'd take for gospel but seems his family didn't want to relocate. He reciprocated interest to Parker but couldn't get it done- from an actual source. 

Alford I was so out on. I don't get that one but am certainly willing to listen...

I will support him FULL force. 100%. I think he is a good coach. I'm hopeful he can start recruiting 5 star talent. If he recruits like Sean I'll be thrilled.

I'm just going through another period of settling where I hoped Fred Glass opening up the wallet would have been an 'instant impact', 'world take notice' type hire. I really, really thought he was swinging for the fences. I actually think he did swing.

Ultimately excited to see what Archie can do.

Im sure he did and stevens and donovan said no. After that its a crap shoot. I guess we could of had alford buy he is not that well liked and cant get past the sweet sixeteen.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk