Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

I have been as anti Alford as anybody but a lot of people seem to want him. Even media guys like Greg Raekstraw, Kent Sterling and Zach Osterman who know college basketball and IU like Alford as the hire (I know 2 of these 3 guys personally and really respect them). I also know people dislike Dakich but he definitely in my mind has IU's best interest at heart and he has championed Alford. All these twitter polls (unscientific) seem to have Alford constantly in the lead.

I still don't want Alford but unlike some of you I am willing to give him a chance. The Pierre Pierce thing worries me and he needs to answer about that but if we can get by that he deserves a chance.

Sometime I think these message boards do not represent the true feeling of the mood of IU fans (if you read them you think Alford is the Grinch but elsewhere he is well liked). 

As I have said the farther Alford goes in the tourney the better because either UCLA will fight hard to keep him if we wins a national championship or a lot of IU fans will feel better about the hire if we still get him (I know I will feel better about the hire if he's got a National Championship or Final Four on the resume).

9 minutes ago, Dizz said:

Still disagree that even leaks have any impact.  All he has to say is "I have no idea where that rumor came from and I will no longer address it."

But if a coach is "waffling" about whether to come to Indiana or not, he shouldn't come.

I'd still take Donovan who waffled over Alford who didn't.

Edited by Sknits nad

http://www.insidethehall.com/2017/03/22/coaching-search-profile-mike-white/

For those who wanna know more about Mike White. Seemed to do alright before Florida too. Top 35 defense there as well. This guy is a rising star. I have also been seeing Chris Mack on A LOT of list as well lately on twitter. I feel like we have our guy and he is either still in the tourney or possibly NBA. We will see soon enough.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

http://www.insidethehall.com/2017/03/22/coaching-search-profile-mike-white/

For those who wanna know more about Mike White. Seemed to do alright before Florida too. Top 35 defense there as well. This guy is a rising star. I have also been seeing Chris Mack on A LOT of list as well lately on twitter. I feel like we have our guy and he is either still in the tourney or possibly NBA. We will see soon enough.

I agree.  I feel like if it was one of the coaches already bounced from the tourney we would have had an announcement by now.  

Probably not Glass particularly but I guarantee you someone gets on this boards to see whats going. Probably not everyday but a lot of media that are involved with IU started off as forum guys. Peegs, Rabjohns, Kent Sterling, McCarthy and I am sure there is a few more I am missing. As easy as it is to download an app and take 10 minutes to skim I guarantee you the news gets related one way or another. Specially with the guys stated above are posting. Glass mentioned reading stuff from fans as well and emails so. Like I said maybe not personally but I would not say there is no chance they do.

I know the athletic department gets on every site. But it isn't going to make a difference when they offer a coach and whether or not he takes the job.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I have been as anti Alford as anybody but a lot of people seem to want him. Even media guys like Greg Raekstraw, Kent Sterling and Zach Osterman who know college basketball and IU like Alford as the hire (I know 2 of these 3 guys personally and really respect them). I also know people dislike Dakich but he definitely in my mind has IU's best interest at heart and he has championed Alford. All these twitter polls (unscientific) seem to have Alford constantly in the lead.

I still don't want Alford but unlike some of you I am willing to give him a chance. The Pierre Pierce thing worries me and he needs to answer about that but if we can get by that he deserves a chance.

Sometime I think these message boards do not represent the true feeling of the mood of IU fans (if you read them you think Alford is the Grinch but elsewhere he is well liked). 

As I have said the farther Alford goes in the tourney the better because either UCLA will fight hard to keep him if we wins a national championship or a lot of IU fans will feel better about the hire if we still get him (I know I will feel better about the hire if he's got a National Championship or Final Four on the resume).

What can Alford say now about the Pierce fiasco that could change anything in that department? Fall on the mercy of the court and say he made big mistakes and has learned from it? Apologize to the people directly affected? That is not going to be part of his homecoming narrative if indeed it happens.

That story is just an inherent part of his baggage now and always will be. If IU hires him, they are hiring him and the baggage. Nothing he can do to change the past.

1 hour ago, normandale97 said:

Common sense says it likely going to be Bennett or Alford. My guess is the major donors want Alford. Not sure IU has the ability to pull in a home run hire like a Billy Donovan. Hope I'm wrong. I said when Crean was fired (which I agreed with) that we would have a hard time bringing in someone that is head and shoulders above him. The list of potential replacements is really underwhelming. We missed the boat on Stevens years ago and that is coming back to haunt us. Personally, I cannot stand the style of basketball that Bennett's teams play. It's unwatchable for me. Just personal preference. Ready for football season...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Interesting take. Most "major donors" have a lot of money that they earned by working hard at their craft/trade. I would also tend to believe that they are intelligent folks who analyze everything to death to make sure their next move is the right move. I cannot see anyone with that kind of intelligence making such a horrible decision and pissing away their financial or political resources.

#NeverAlford

I'm not discounting a coach that was already knocked out of the NCAA tournament (Miller, Marshall, Collins, etc). I know it was a different AD, but Crean was knocked out of the tournament on March 22nd and wasn't hired at IU until April 1st.

14 minutes ago, Adillac said:

Yep gotta be down to BD, Alford, Marshall, Bennett. 

if it were Marshall, don't you think it'd be done by now?  They've had 3 days to announce after his loss...

Today's Coaching Hot Board (listed in order of probability) according to Peegs .. basically Chris Collins moved up and Donovan fell 3 spots ..... Why is Mike Woodson even on this list?????

1) Steve Alford
2) Tony Bennett
3) Chris Collins
4) Chris Mack
5) Archie Miller
6) Billy Donovan
7) Sean Miller
8) Bryce Drew
9) Chris Holtman
10) Dane Fife
11) Mike Woodson (WTF?)
12) Greg Marshall
13) Mike White

11 minutes ago, tablegrapes said:

What can Alford say now about the Pierce fiasco that could change anything in that department? Fall on the mercy of the court and say he made big mistakes and has learned from it? Apologize to the people directly affected? That is not going to be part of his homecoming narrative if indeed it happens.

That story is just an inherent part of his baggage now and always will be. If IU hires him, they are hiring him and the baggage. Nothing he can do to change the past.

You're right. There's nothing that SA can really do to change the narrative at this point. My problem with it is that defending a rapist, belittling those that disagreed with him, and trying to intimidate the victim, are not examples of poor decision making that can be learned from. They are examples of narcissism. They are examples of a man with a hole in his soul.