Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

1 minute ago, recker222000 said:

There was talk he would be a grad transfer.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

He won't be graduating on time for that

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

I'm tempering my expectations even with most of the team back. I've heard Coach Miller say multiple times that it takes 2 to 3 years to fully implement his defense and get the players doing what he expects. I think we'll see improvement as the year goes by, but there are a lot of bad habits to unlearn.

Exactly. This idea that we are going to be an elite eight/top ten team next season is unrealistic in my opinion. 

Exactly. This idea that we are going to be an elite eight/top ten team next season is unrealistic in my opinion. 

Losing JB and OG will be a massive blow. But this team was close this year and lost a ton of close games. Add Justin Smith and another difference maker and allow the others to mature with good coaching, we have a chance.

Keeping TB and DD is most important imo with roster makeup because we need their size.

What Green will bring on the D end will make up for a lot we might lose on the O end.

I LOVE the idea that CAM will have a relatively big 2018 class to sell to recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Dont underestimate how much a little bit of coaching can help. Most of us have screamed at the tv for years complaining about turnovers and defense . This team had talent fix the small things and archie has a heck of a team

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Losing JB and OG will be a massive blow. But this team was close this year and lost a ton of close games. Add Justin Smith and another difference maker and allow the others to mature with good coaching, we have a chance.

Keeping TB and DD is most important imo with roster makeup because we need their size.

What Green will bring on the D end will make up for a lot we might lose on the O end.

I LOVE the idea that CAM will have a relatively big 2018 class to sell to recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Count me in for a big 2018 class by CAM as well. It will show us what kind of talent he is gonna be able to get off the bat. The years after will be based off success more so than next year's class.

2 wings, a point guard and 2 bigs and he can choose the others as he pleases.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Dont underestimate how much a little bit of coaching can help. Most of us have screamed at the tv for years complaining about turnovers and defense . This team had talent fix the small things and archie has a heck of a team

Yep we lack basic fundamentals. Will year 3 be a better defensive team I'm sure it will. Will next year be a better defensive team than this one. 8m sure it will be

2 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I am in coaching as a profession so I will never underestimate it. That said he is not Jesus Christ. It is going to be a process. The team just doesn't improve because he steps on campus. I expect to be competitive this season if the roster stays in tact, but a top ten team I do not forsee. 

2 minutes ago, SteelerHoosier said:

I am in coaching as a profession so I will never underestimate it. That said he is not Jesus Christ. It is going to be a process. The team just doesn't improve because he steps on campus. I expect to be competitive this season if the roster stays in tact, but a top ten team I do not forsee. 

Agreed. We could contend in another weak big ten and maybe do something in the dance though

13 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Only transfer possibilities IMO are Priller, Gelon & CuJo. Gelon may be the only one if any.

Priller is living the best days of his life, and he doesn't even have to be good at playing basketball. Why would he go?

And Gelon is staying. He posted this yesterday.

Screenshot_20170330-151217.png

We will be top 25 no doubt. A Sweet Sixteen isn't crazy talk, but would take a lot of pieces to fit together. Most of these kids are upperclassmen so it is gonna be hard to just play a different way and pick it up instantly.

I expect Devonte to make huge strides though.

7 minutes ago, SteelerHoosier said:

We lost 7 conference games by 7 points or less. That's a bad turnover here, a missed defensive assignment there, bad shot selection etc. A new coach who holds players accountable and has the trust of his players will make a big difference imo.   

1 minute ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

We will be top 25 no doubt. A Sweet Sixteen isn't crazy talk, but would take a lot of pieces to fit together. Most of these kids are upperclassmen so it is gonna be hard to just play a different way and pick it up instantly.

I expect Devonte to make huge strides though.

If the roster buys in and stays in tact I fully expect a ranked ball club and one that could  be around a 4 seed in the dance and make a run to the Sweet 16

Priller is living the best days of his life, and he doesn't even have to be good at playing basketball. Why would he go?
And Gelon is staying. He posted this yesterday.
Screenshot_20170330-151217.thumb.png.f316fa33615a83a61665d371b756d0e4.png

I saw it, but if Archie has to Crean someone it will be one of the two. Not saying it happens, but now that Dayton has their coach we should find out if Kostas really wants to come here or Wright for that matter. Archie told both there was a spot for them if they wanted according to some Dayton people.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We lost 7 conference games by 7 points or less. That's a bad turnover here, a missed defensive assignment there, bad shot selection etc. A new coach who holds players accountable and has the trust of his players will make a big difference imo.   

It doesn't work like that. You can't just say well since we were close last year and have a new coach we will get over the hump. I fully expect to be better. Just not a squad that makes it to the E8 or is ranked in the top 10 during the season

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If we cut the turnovers and get a few more stops on D we can make a big improvement. I could see us in the 22-24 win range if we bring most everybody back.

This is a great point as well. Just keeping turnovers down even 3 or 4 could have gave us an extra win or two, maybe more last year. Probably a NCAA team who could get hot and beat anyone. We will find out in 6 months.

On the OG front, I think he needs to go. He seems to be pretty locked in the 15-25 range. Right now his stock is driven by physical traits (6'8', 7-6 wingspan, strong frame, explosive athleticism), youth, and defensive flashes. OG as he played this season did not look like a lottery pick most of the time. He can't dribble, because of that he can't create his own shot unless it's a right hand straight-line drive to the rim. His shooting mechanics from his feet to his release need a lot of work, has a somewhat slow release and he shoots a very flat ball (this does not bode well for the longer NBA line and much better defense he'll face). His mechanics are inconsistent resulting in a lot of misses that were way off. Without reworking his jumper I just don't see him ever being a real 3 pt threat. He shot 50% from the line, that is a strong indicator that 3 point success could be a fluke. 

Guys with OG's athleticism and pure physical traits are rare, but if he came back and didn't show significant improvement or got hurt again it would kill his stock. No shame in playing in the d-league when you're a rookie.