Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

"But, but we're young and there's no leaders on this team and we don't have a point guard and our post presence needs to showcase his perimeter game."

"Wait, I'm responsible for those things? Give me $4 mil a year and an even larger buyout and I promise I'll get it done. It's Indiana, it's Indiana"

He needs to go back to a mid major. What university is close to Cedar Point? I'm sure the older generation of roller coaster enthusiasts would enjoy the ride where the highs aren't too high and the lows not too low.

You dont know the hand he was dealt. We are so young and have been so young for 9 years. Give the guy a break its a snow rebuild.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Crean also visited Gary Harris during a non-contact period.  I call bull on him not knowing when the contact period ended.  Do I care that he committed a secondary violation, not really, but let's be real that it was intentional.  Not even Crean is 'clean', no one is.

Did him visiting the last day of a non contact period really gain anything? He self reported the next day and forfeited days he could recruit during the same contact period. If that was intentional he is the biggest idiot in the world. Not saying he is much smarter for the end result, but not sure that one was intentional.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm not calling Crean dirty, I think he's probably as clean as they get at a high major program, but there's no way he's not playing in the grey area too. Remember the last time the "fire Crean" noise was at it's height? What happened the next game? Thomas Bryant and Thon Maker were both sitting directly behind the bench. And by all accounts the visits were out of the blue. Coincidence? 

I'm not calling Crean dirty, I think he's probably as clean as they get at a high major program, but there's no way he's not playing in the grey area too. Remember the last time the "fire Crean" noise was at it's height? What happened the next game? Thomas Bryant and Thon Maker were both sitting directly behind the bench. And by all accounts the visits were out of the blue. Coincidence? 

Having bryant fall into his lap thanks to Syracuse may have been what saved his job.

1 minute ago, recker222000 said:

Having bryant fall into his lap thanks to Syracuse may have been what saved his job.

Crean seems to get a lot of lucky breaks that help him keep his job. The guy is able to do just enough to get by, I'll give him that much. 

Crean seems to get a lot of lucky breaks that help him keep his job. The guy is able to do just enough to get by, I'll give him that much. 

He sure does. You would think his luck would run out at some point but it does not seem likely. Starting to see why Marquette fans were so happy he left.

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I've said that for 3 years.  Couldn't agree more.

Look, if Tom is gonna stick around and put us through this for years to come, I just ask one thing of him......start wearing some freaking RED on the sideline!  Enough of the blue shirts already.  It's bad enough the way it is with the team but doesn't he know blue is a bad color in Indiana?  Ugh.

IF a change is going to be made, I'd like to see a young up and comer like Will Wade, Dave Richman, or Bryce Drew.. Someone who can grow with this program. I think they are all legit possibilities. Patience and stability are the key. I think this program can get back to being a perennial power, but not until X's and O's coaching and the IQ of these teams improve. It's not going to be an overnight process.

1 hour ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

IF a change is going to be made, I'd like to see a young up and comer like Will Wade, Dave Richman, or Bryce Drew.. Someone who can grow with this program. I think they are all legit possibilities. Patience and stability are the key. I think this program can get back to being a perennial power, but not until X's and O's coaching and the IQ of these teams improve. It's not going to be an overnight process.

Coaches like that should be down the list a ways IMO.  Wade and Richman have like 5 combined years of head coaching experience, and I'd prefer to see what Drew can do in the SEasy before even contemplating him at a pressure cooker job in the B1G.  Bob Knight came from Army without much experience, but we caught lightening in a bottle there and I don't think it's a good idea to hope we can do it again.

I'd rather we swing for the cheap seats trying to get a top coach instead of going that route hoping they turn into the next Coach K and not the next Tom Crean.  Frankly, if we were actually trying to get a top coach I don't think we'd have to go that far down the list.

6 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

I don't think anyone here is expecting a championship or final four in the coaches first year, haven't heard anyone say that.

They would expect a final four in the coaches first 9 seasons though and I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation at all

I would honestly like to know what the expectations truly are.  How is he being measured?  Peaks are great, but he's had his share of valleys, too.  And I don;t just mean his first couple of seasons.   I've said before I truly want to know whether or not Indiana University wants its men's basketball program to be an elite program or just a generally successful program.

I would honestly like to know what the expectations truly are.  How is he being measured?  Peaks are great, but he's had his share of valleys, too.  And I don;t just mean his first couple of seasons.   I've said before I truly want to know whether or not Indiana University wants its men's basketball program to be an elite program or just a generally successful program.

The vibe I get from the program is wanting to talk about being elite but not walking the walk. As long as they can remain in the grey area while receiving a ton of dough they're good. They want to run a clean program, graduate players, players keep their nose clean, and not be a total failure. I think the administration is good with where we're at unless they get pressured to make a move or the money dries up.

The vibe I get from the program is wanting to talk about being elite but not walking the walk. As long as they can remain in the grey area while receiving a ton of dough they're good. They want to run a clean program, graduate players, players keep their nose clean, and not be a total failure. I think the administration is good with where we're at unless they get pressured to make a move or the money dries up.

That seems pretty close to the truth but what they wouldn't be taking into consideration is the longterm damage. Short term, the love, excitement, viewing, ticket and apparel sales etc will be strong but all that will erode over time. We are going to wake up in 20 years and will officially be Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa where the fans only care and show up when there is a big game or the team is decent that year.

It's heading there, just taking a while to slowly drain every ounce of love and interest out of this fanbase that took 70 years to build