Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

8 arrests and not correcting mistakes year over year will produce results that kids (you know.....the ones who were arrested) might not like,  Especially when not one of them makes any effort to lead the team out of it.  People around here don't take too kindly to the selfish crap on and off the court we've seen for the past few years.  I'm not condoning it, however I'm not going to say it's unwarranted.  These kids are grown ups.  They can receive free school, free shoes, free board, free rooms, free tutors, and a lifestyle of the rich and famous, they can stomach a few boos from the people who are paying for it.

Wow.

Just... wow.

8 arrests and not correcting mistakes year over year will produce results that kids (you know.....the ones who were arrested) might not like,  Especially when not one of them makes any effort to lead the team out of it.  People around here don't take too kindly to the selfish crap on and off the court we've seen for the past few years.  I'm not condoning it, however I'm not going to say it's unwarranted.  These kids are grown ups.  They can receive free school, free shoes, free board, free rooms, free tutors, and a lifestyle of the rich and famous, they can stomach a few boos from the people who are paying for it.

Having all fans turn their collect back to the floor when Crean is introduced?  A message needs to be sent in some way.  I've never booed a home team, only refs after a bad call.  The heat needs to be turned up on the 'coach'.

8 arrests and not correcting mistakes year over year will produce results that kids (you know.....the ones who were arrested) might not like, Especially when not one of them makes any effort to lead the team out of it. People around here don't take too kindly to the selfish crap on and off the court we've seen for the past few years. I'm not condoning it, however I'm not going to say it's unwarranted. These kids are grown ups. They can receive free school, free shoes, free board, free rooms, free tutors, and a lifestyle of the rich and famous, they can stomach a few boos from the people who are paying for it.

Enjoy Fantasy Island. I'll leave this one for you saints to debate.

One warning though, the players that were arrested are no longer on the team. So you'll need a new justification for booing 18-22 year old student athletes.

Either way this season is going to get very ugly very fast. Like I said before, id prefer the boo birds just expressed their anger by staying home. It's one of the worst ways to market ourselves to the possible future candidates to replace Tom Crean. Those who think it won't affect us, in a major way, aren't thinking straight.

Enjoy Fantasy Island. I'll leave this one for you saints to debate.

One warning though, the players that were arrested are no longer on the team. So you'll need a new justification for booing 18-22 year old student athletes.

Not all of them are off the team.

Anyone who finds justification in booing at the games, or condones it, is no fan in my book. Seriously, what kind of message are you trying to send to 18-22 year old kids who chose to come here and play for IU by choice? They work day in and day out to be better. Yeah, our coach isn't the best, and trust me he is already feeling the heat without the boos. Booing accomplishes nothing except making us look bad as a fan base. There are much better avenues to take. Think before you act irrationally.

While I don't support booing, you can't really say that there are other ways to show your displeasure because its been made clear that Glass just doesn't care. 

Perhaps a fire Tom Crean chant would be better(still not advocating that), but we might need to embarrass the university to get rid of Crean.

The booing is going to happen though. 

In the first half of the UNLV game Bryant and Yogi are yelling at one another, with Bryant actually getting right in Yogi's face.

I wonder, in the abyss that is Fred Glass's mind, what would it take to fire Tom Crean? I can't imagine the AD's at schools such as Kentucky, Duke, or North Carolina employing a matrix of criteria much more entailed than won loss records, or league and NCAA championships garnered. They might be willing to look past the occasional off court missteps which occur from time to time, but even that would be conditional. Coach Knight may have had his drawbacks, but he won. He won consistently. He won league championships. He won NCAA championships; and he did all this while playing within the rules. Most AD's will keep you around if you continue to win. Winning, particularly championships at some level, pretty much insures your survival on the sidelines.

But what criteria does Fred Glass use when determining if a coach should be terminated? It's not as if Crean has showered the university with Big Ten championships, or even been consistently in contention. Nor is there a sixth banner hanging from the rafters at AH yet. He has brought, however, a good measure of dysfunction, poor play and police blotter material. Indeed, if dysfunction and questionable player activities were considered when handing out trophies, we'd be final four material most years, having possibly hanged at least two additional banners by now. But as they don't award trophies for such activity, we're SOL.

Which brings me back my original question; what does it take for Fred Glass to fire Tom Crean?

I wonder, in the abyss that is Fred Glass's mind, what would it take to fire Tom Crean? I can't imagine the AD's at schools such as Kentucky, Duke, or North Carolina employing a matrix of criteria much more entailed than won loss records, or league and NCAA championships garnered. They might be willing to look past the occasional off court missteps which occur from time to time, but even that would be conditional. Coach Knight may have had his drawbacks, but he won. He won consistently. He won league championships. He won NCAA championships; and he did all this while playing within the rules. Most AD's will keep you around if you continue to win. Winning, particularly championships at some level, pretty much insures your survival on the sidelines.

But what criteria does Fred Glass use when determining if a coach should be terminated? It's not as if Crean has showered the university with Big Ten championships, or even been consistently in contention. Nor is there a sixth banner hanging from the rafters at AH yet. He has brought, however, a good measure of dysfunction, poor play and police blotter material. Indeed, if dysfunction and questionable player activities were considered when handing out trophies, we'd be final four material most years, having possibly hanged at least two additional banners by now. But as they don't award trophies for such activity, we're SOL.

Which brings me back my original question; what does it take for Fred Glass to fire Tom Crean?

These are all great questions (but who has the answers?).  I think a fitting parallel can be made to us with CTC and UK with Billy G.  Both programs were NOT where the fanbase expected them to be.  UK showed BG the door and we stick with the status quo.  I've come to the point where I fear that if we finally make a coaching change, we will get a great coach only by accident.

I don't get how the fans booing is hurtful to the perception of the fan-base, or the perception of the University.

If you go to a game you are a Supporter.... if you boo you are letting your voice be heard, regardless if you are booing the Refs, the Coach, the players.... all of them deserve it at times so why is it so unacceptable? You Boo when Crean is introduced pregame and the players know EXACTLY who is being booed.... you boo when a bad call is made they know we are booing the ref... and if we boo when a bad play is made then the players know it is directed at them and hopefully will learn from it...

I am not advocating Booing specifically, but I just don't see the huge negative in it that apparently many others do?

You can say they are young kids, you can say they are amateurs, but in the end they do not need to be coddled... If they want the praise/cheers for doing great why can't they get the repercussions/boos when they do something bad?

Crean has a long long long history of bad (per our IU Standards) and unless something changes he deserves all the boos... Much rather him get booed on national tv at a home game than his family get heckled in other places.

These are all great questions (but who has the answers?). I think a fitting parallel can be made to us with CTC and UK with Billy G. Both programs were NOT where the fanbase expected them to be. UK showed BG the door and we stick with the status quo. I've come to the point where I fear that if we finally make a coaching change, we will get a great coach only by accident.

Your fear is that we end up with a great coach?

I don't get how the fans booing is hurtful to the perception of the fan-base, or the perception of the University.

If you go to a game you are a Supporter.... if you boo you are letting your voice be heard, regardless if you are booing the Refs, the Coach, the players.... all of them deserve it at times so why is it so unacceptable? You Boo when Crean is introduced pregame and the players know EXACTLY who is being booed.... you boo when a bad call is made they know we are booing the ref... and if we boo when a bad play is made then the players know it is directed at them and hopefully will learn from it...

I am not advocating Booing specifically, but I just don't see the huge negative in it that apparently many others do?

You can say they are young kids, you can say they are amateurs, but in the end they do not need to be coddled... If they want the praise/cheers for doing great why can't they get the repercussions/boos when they do something bad?

Crean has a long long long history of bad (per our IU Standards) and unless something changes he deserves all the boos... Much rather him get booed on national tv at a home game than his family get heckled in other places.

Another way someone can go with this is that if fans are booing at least they are still showing they care.  When the reactions stop, positive or negative, that is when everyone really needs to worry.  So dead silence may send a message as well.

The opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy.

This is pretty much how I feel about it.  What exactly are we afraid of, hurting someone's feelings?  If these guys are going to take the cheers and adulation when they succeed, then they can take a few boos when they play without effort or continually make the same mental mistakes.  Obviously, don't boo everyone indiscriminately, but there are times when it's perfectly justified.

I personally willl not boo, never have, anytime. I am a Hoosier fan, this is my team in good and bad times. This is the type of apathy that took so many to side with Butler. I have zero hopes CTC can succeed, but do pull for the team. This is our Indiana University.

I personally willl not boo, never have, anytime. I am a Hoosier fan, this is my team in good and bad times. This is the type of apathy that took so many to side with Butler. I have zero hopes CTC can succeed, but do pull for the team. This is our Indiana University.

Yep. I am going to the classic, MSU, and Wisky and I will never boo anyone who wears that jersey. The thought boggles my mind. It's like a marriage with both the good and bad. I don't like Crean but I will never boo at AH. Everyone else are grown ass adults. If they want to boo at AH they will have to live with that.

I think you guys are taking boos a bit far. Fans cheer they boo the other team often boo the refs that is how fans communicate. I wouldn't boo the team but I can see why the fans are booing crean I mean it is getting old. You want to give a coach to many chances and keep him knowing the fan base is getting fed up then this will happen. Don't attack me I haven't booed the Hoosiers live at a game but I thank goodness they can't hear me from my couch especially last week lol. Booing I will guess doesn't bother these kids and when it happens they probably understand