Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Declaring early for the draft

I think Ulis does benefit a little from the UK hype machine. I think Yogi and him are similar in many respects. I would give Yogi the edge in shooting especially the pull up three. Ulis has the uncanny ability to finish at the rim among the trees which I'm sure has the NBA guys attention. Not sure I'd want to take either top 20 though.

Kids now think "I'm a Junior, my draft stock won't get any better, so I should leave." Instead of "I'm a Junior, My draft stock won't get any better, only 1 year left of college." Dean Smith had a "rule" that if you were a lock for the lottery then you need to leave. I'd say that is the best thing. If you're an absolute lock for the lottery you should leave if you're a freshman, sophomore or Junior. There are only a few locks in the lottery this year though. A lot of freshmen leaving who won't get picked until the 20's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

14 hours ago, BtownBanner6 said:

Man everyone understands the little guy can play defense, and has good vision. Yogi has just as good vision and a better shooter. I think Yogi's game translates better to the pros but truthfully no matter who you think is better, neither one is too much better then the other. One isn't a first rounder and the other itching to get in the draft.

Ulis is a borderline lottery pick. He is 2 years younger and honestly better than Yogi. Both are great passers. Ulis averaged more assists a game. Ulis has one thing Yogi doesn't though... and that is a mid range game. Yogi scored either behind the line or at the rim. Ulis has a killer floater and mid range game. And Ulis is a better defender. Yes Yogi was pretty good on defense this year. Not far removed from when he was awful at defense though. If you're a GM and you pick Yogi over Ulis.. you're getting fired. Ulis can be a starter in the NBA at some point. Yogi cant. We all love Yogi. But we're talking about the NBA. It is a very different world.

Ulis is a borderline lottery pick. He is 2 years younger and honestly better than Yogi. Both are great passers. Ulis averaged more assists a game. Ulis has one thing Yogi doesn't though... and that is a mid range game. Yogi scored either behind the line or at the rim. Ulis has a killer floater and mid range game. And Ulis is a better defender. Yes Yogi was pretty good on defense this year. Not far removed from when he was awful at defense though. If you're a GM and you pick Yogi over Ulis.. you're getting fired. Ulis can be a starter in the NBA at some point. Yogi cant. We all love Yogi. But we're talking about the NBA. It is a very different world.

Yogi is a better shooter, mid range, 3 wherever you want, Ulis does shoot a nice floater though would like to see him shoot it over guys in the NBA though, I stand by Yogi translates to the pros better. He can create to get a shot off a lot better.

.... Just saying. Literally the only people that think there is even a debate between Ulis and Yogi are IU fans. Ulis creates just as well, probably better, than Yogi. He is a better defender, and the shooting stuff is highly arguable. Yogi is way more of a chucker too. Don't see how Yogi translates better to the pros at all

.... Just saying. Literally the only people that think there is even a debate between Ulis and Yogi are IU fans. Ulis creates just as well, probably better, than Yogi. He is a better defender, and the shooting stuff is highly arguable. Yogi is way more of a chucker too. Don't see how Yogi translates better to the pros at all

His ability to create for himself is my reason his game translate better. All the small guards that have made it in the NBA have the ability to create shots for themselves. I believe Yogi does that better then Ulis and I'm not sure that's debatable.

I've talked to many UK fans that think it's very close, and some say they'd rather have Yogi, so I think it's not as closed as you think, but it doesn't matter it's an opinion and It'll be interesting to see who if either has a decent pro career.

2 hours ago, KingPG21 said:

Kind of where I am.  I think it's a lot closer between the two than posters on this board want to admit.  Sure you couldn't watch the UK game and definitively say Ulis was better but an unbiased view could watch it and say Yogi wasn't definitively better either.

People don't want to admit it really. I'm sure there were people here saying Zeller translated better than Anthony Davis lol. We're comparing 2 PG's. One is 2 inches shorter and 2 years younger. Still able to do things better. Ulis is a better playmaker than Yogi. I'd say he was a better leader and especially for his age. Ulis is a possible lottery pick while Yogi will more likely go undrafted.

Yeeeeaaahhh.... Don't get it at all. Love Yogi. Drafting Ulis.

Yeeeeaaahhh.... Don't get it at all. Love Yogi. Drafting Ulis.

I'm not drafting either. My point is, I see Ulis about where I see Yogi. I would draft both late 2nd round. I know very well where Ulis is projected. I just disagree. I am not saying Yogi should be higher either.

I've watched Ulis play a lot and I don't see him being a full round better than Yogi. In college or NBA.

I'm not a homer when it comes to talent evaluation. IMO I think Ulis gets a 30 slot UK bump and so is Skal Labissiere.

Calipari was quoted recently saying his goal is to have half of the NBA all star game be UK players. Past successes are helping some of his current players be unjustifiably bumped in the draft process. The only real pro on that team is Murray. But, Ulis will get a long chance to prove himself that Yogi won't. UK factor.

Could the fact he hasn't already announced indicate he's not getting overwhelming positive feedback from NBA sources?  Surely if Momma had her way, he'd already have his bags packed.

I believe Crean said earlier in the year that he maintains contact with NBA scouts and updates players throughout the year. I don't think Troy is all of a sudden receiving new unexpected feedback. He might be feeling out if he would be one of the 60ish invitees to the combine though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

What position would Troy play in the NBA? He's not big enough to play the 4 or 5, and he's obviously not a point guard, so that leaves the 2 or 3. He's not a particularly great shooter and his handles aren't the greatest either. I've never really understood the NBA hype surrounding Troy, but then again, a lot of our fans tend to overrate the pro potential of our players. 

37 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

What position would Troy play in the NBA? He's not big enough to play the 4 or 5, and he's obviously not a point guard, so that leaves the 2 or 3. He's not a particularly great shooter and his handles aren't the greatest either. I've never really understood the NBA hype surrounding Troy, but then again, a lot of our fans tend to overrate the pro potential of our players. 

Pretty simple...he has elite athleticism which can't be taught. Unfortunately, there a ton of holes in his game (ball control, dribbling, defense, shot) which has lowered his stock considerably. Those, in theory, are fixable.

I hope like hell it works out for Troy and someone takes a chance and signs him or he develops and makes something for himself but I wouldn't be the GM making that move. 

Pretty simple...he has elite athleticism which can't be taught. Unfortunately, there a ton of holes in his game (ball control, dribbling, defense, shot) which has lowered his stock considerably. Those, in theory, are fixable.

I hope like hell it works out for Troy and someone takes a chance and signs him or he develops and makes something for himself but I wouldn't be the GM making that move. 

So he's hiring an agent then? Lol

He's a SF that will play at the 3 only. He isn't one of those players that you can stick anywhere else. He can possibly play the 2 in short spurts. He's almost Corey Brewer or Andre Roberson but much much much worse at defense. And with him being a SF... and a SF that v won't be a star in the league... not being able to shoot or defend greatly hurts him. NBA teams love the SF who can play the 3 spot, that are on the court to hit 3's and play defense. That is where the "3-and-D" label came from. You have to play defense in the NBA. Unless you average 25+ a game. Troy would have been a Top 5 pick in the early 2000's. Now he is possibly undrafted. That deals with the shift in the NBA and a rising talent pool. But he'll be fine. He'll either be at Indiana, in the D-league or overseas next year.

22 hours ago, X-Hoosier said:

People don't want to admit it really. I'm sure there were people here saying Zeller translated better than Anthony Davis lol. We're comparing 2 PG's. One is 2 inches shorter and 2 years younger. Still able to do things better. Ulis is a better playmaker than Yogi. I'd say he was a better leader and especially for his age. Ulis is a possible lottery pick while Yogi will more likely go undrafted.

Whether 1 gets picked in the first round and the other goes in drafted I would bet money they are playing each other in the D league at some point.