Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2016) PF De'Ron Davis to IU

Mike Miller just tweeted:  "Overland coach Danny Fisher says Hoosiers remain "out in front" for Davis who is a top 35 player in the nation for 2016."

CORRECTION:  Miller cited a tweet from Aaron Matas of KUSA in Denver, CO.

Aaron Matas @AaronMatas
Overland's De'Ron Davis set to take official visit to Mississippi State this weekend. Indiana coach Tom Crean and asst Chuck Martin were...

Aaron Matas @AaronMatas
...in CO last Thursday and Martin back in town tonight. IU giving Davis the hard sell b4 visit to Miss. St.

Aaron Matas @AaronMatas
Overland coach Danny Fisher says Hoosiers remain "out in front" for Davis who is a top 35 player in the nation for 2016.

Aaron Matas @AaronMatas
Fisher added there's reason for the Indiana fan base to be excited right now regarding Davis' recruitment. I am unbiased and not excited...

Aaron Matas @AaronMatas
Overland's De'Ron Davis set to take official visit to Mississippi State this weekend. Indiana coach Tom Crean and asst Chuck Martin were...

Aaron Matas @AaronMatas
...in CO last Thursday and Martin back in town tonight. IU giving Davis the hard sell b4 visit to Miss. St.

Aaron Matas @AaronMatas
Overland coach Danny Fisher says Hoosiers remain "out in front" for Davis who is a top 35 player in the nation for 2016.

Aaron Matas @AaronMatas
Fisher added there's reason for the Indiana fan base to be excited right now regarding Davis' recruitment. I am unbiased and not excited...

End of the world coming!!!!!! Can. Only. Say. Negative. Things!

Wayne did you freak out this much in 2011 when georgia, rutgers, st. johns, seton hall, and missouri made our recruiting look pedestrian by having a higher ranked class then we did. Our ranking in 2011 was 33.   I don't rely on team rankings like some others around here do because i don't think they paint the full picture.    For example the  last 5 team rankings according 247

IU                          mich st           miss st

2011-33                2011-23         2011-14

2012-8                  2012-12        2012-46

2013-6                  2013-74        2013-84

2014-17                2014-50        2014-78

2015-26                2015-18         2015-20

If you go by team rankings IU would be the most consistant of the 3 teams.   Im sure izzo  was more concerned about getting the right people in the system then worrying about the ranking.   His 74 and 50 ranked class made it to a final four.   Iu's lowest team ranking was 33 and i would argue that it was the most important class out of them all (Hello Zeller).    While team rankings are fun to look at and debate i just don't know if they are that important.      If we landed davis, and brown are class would still be ranked lower then  Mississippi states class.   Would that make that class pedestrian?

Wayne did you freak out this much in 2011 when georgia, rutgers, st. johns, seton hall, and missouri made our recruiting look pedestrian by having a higher ranked class then we did. Our ranking in 2011 was 33.   I don't rely on team rankings like some others around here do because i don't think they paint the full picture.    For example the  last 5 team rankings according 247

IU                          mich st           miss st

2011-33                2011-23         2011-14

2012-8                  2012-12        2012-46

2013-6                  2013-74        2013-84

2014-17                2014-50        2014-78

2015-26                2015-18         2015-20

If you go by team rankings IU would be the most consistant of the 3 teams.   Im sure izzo  was more concerned about getting the right people in the system then worrying about the ranking.   His 74 and 50 ranked class made it to a final four.   Iu's lowest team ranking was 33 and i would argue that it was the most important class out of them all (Hello Zeller).    While team rankings are fun to look at and debate i just don't know if they are that important.      If we landed davis, and brown are class would still be ranked lower then  Mississippi states class.   Would that make that class pedestrian?

Izzo had those ranked classes because he didn't have playing time to offer.  The top 6 minute guys on the 2013-14 team were all already at school.  We have tons of PT up for grabs next year us and Mississippi are in the same boat, lots of contributors leaving plenty of PT available and yet we are losing to them.  That really is unacceptable.  Go to a MSU board they don't give a damn about basketball I would bet money that football topics outweigh basketball 20-1.  They are the inverse of us, even during football season we have more topics about basketball.

Its ok to have a average class when you are returning your entire team for next year.  Thats when you take on projects and guys that have potential.  If they don't work out you can easily promise playing time the next year if they do, great you landed a diamond in the rough. 

And just to point out didn't Michigan State lose in the elite 8 in 2014?

Izzo had those ranked classes because he didn't have playing time to offer. The top 6 minute guys on the 2013-14 team were all already at school. We have tons of PT up for grabs next year us and Mississippi are in the same boat, lots of contributors leaving plenty of PT available and yet we are losing to them. That really is unacceptable. Go to a MSU board they don't give a damn about basketball I would bet money that football topics outweigh basketball 20-1. They are the inverse of us, even during football season we have more topics about basketball.

Its ok to have a average class when you are returning your entire team for next year. Thats when you take on projects and guys that have potential. If they don't work out you can easily promise playing time the next year if they do, great you landed a diamond in the rough.

didnt those recruits play in a final four last year?

I am not going to get into a back and forth about "freaking out".

I have always wanted our recruiting to be better. I have ALSO coincidentally wanted better on court results. If we were better at recruiting we would be better at winning basketball games.

I don't mean (necessarily) rankings either but I mean getting our intended targets to form a team and class.

We often end up taking 3rd or 4th or 5th options. Often have unbalanced classes, unbalanced teams, and a hodgepodge of players trying to make a team.

Keep in mind we are likely to be good THIS year because we have 3 5 star players leading the team and 2 other high rated 4 stars as huge pieces.

Believe me or don't, recruiting is the foundation of a team.

If you are happy with our results that is great, but unless we keep getting 5 star talent or similar we will be a regular fixture as a middle of pack big ten team.

Izzo had those ranked classes because he didn't have playing time to offer. The top 6 minute guys on the 2013-14 team were all already at school. We have tons of PT up for grabs next year us and Mississippi are in the same boat, lots of contributors leaving plenty of PT available and yet we are losing to them. That really is unacceptable. Go to a MSU board they don't give a damn about basketball I would bet money that football topics outweigh basketball 20-1. They are the inverse of us, even during football season we have more topics about basketball.

Its ok to have a average class when you are returning your entire team for next year. Thats when you take on projects and guys that have potential. If they don't work out you can easily promise playing time the next year if they do, great you landed a diamond in the rough.

What he is saying is the last 3 classes at MSU has been awful. Even if they didn't have pt to offer. Izzo is Izzo and doesn't have to pull the classes Crean does to be successful.

didnt those recruits play in a final four last year?

Yeah but they had years to mature around better players because Izzo had a solid team, and thus could recruit projects and potential guys.  We don't have that next year.  We are almost certainly losing 4 of our starters. 

We need guys that can contribute in some meaningful way as freshman. 

I am not going to get into a back and forth about "freaking out".

I have always wanted our recruiting to be better. I have ALSO coincidentally wanted better on court results. If we were better at recruiting we would be better at winning basketball games.

I don't mean (necessarily) rankings either but I mean getting our intended targets to form a team and class.

We often end up taking 3rd or 4th or 5th options. Often have unbalanced classes, unbalanced teams, and a hodgepodge of players trying to make a team.

Keep in mind we are likely to be good THIS year because we have 3 5 star players leading the team and 2 other high rated 4 stars as huge pieces.

Believe me or don't, recruiting is the foundation of a team.

If you are happy with our results that is great, but unless we keep getting 5 star talent or similar we will be a regular fixture as a middle of pack big ten team.

it has nothing to do with being happy with results, I just don't put stock into meaningless rankings. I don't get worked up and take little shots at how bad I would think recruiting is. Even when we had top 10 classes we were still middle of the pack. so we need to keep getting that 5 star talent to finish 7 and 8 in the big 10, I would rather get the right fit ( 6,5,4,3,2,1 star) recruit.

Alright guys, let's take it out of the recruiting thread. No more warnings, it's a ban if you don't stop. Start a Crean recruiting thread if you would like, but we are done in this thread!

Serious question here, would that belong on the General board or the recruiting board.  My guess would be general board because recruiting board is so far only player topics.  But just want clarification. 

Serious question here, would that belong on the General board or the recruiting board.  My guess would be general board because recruiting board is so far only player topics.  But just want clarification. 

The general basketball forum. Thank you for asking.