Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

DD And Hanner gone

It's not really about who's better. I agree, I think Holt is the better player, but Hanner is 6'9" and long. Hanner can more easily matchup with a 6'11" center. Hanner is a better matchup off the bench against guys like Hass or Hammons. Hanner is a better matchup as a backup against Maryland who has Stone, Carter, Dodd and the big foreign kid off the bench. There will also be games where Holt is the better matchup. They're different players.

Having a 6'9" or taller back-up center just gives the team more options and depth.

Is there really going to be a noticeable drop off from Perea to Holt? Holt may even be better than Perea.

Is there really going to be a noticeable drop off from Perea to Holt? Holt may even be better than Perea.

Only at the experience level. Hanner got most of the minutes last season as long as he wasn't suspended, hurt or in foul trouble. Nearly every time Holt came in the game, he played brilliantly, only to be sat down again and seldom heard from again in said game. Personally, I am anxious to see how well Holt could play for "significant" minutes. And with Hanner gone, it's a 2-man game - Bryant and Holt. It could have been Bryant, Hanner and Holt.

However, given the circumstances, this is where we find ourselves at this point in time.

I agree with Hoosier in AZ.  I liked Holt better then Hanner in the lineup and I think the extra summer of conditioning and game speed drills will result in a dramatic improvement in his game.

I do think we need to add a big----a ten minute a game type player----for extra minutes.

This guy is 7-1 for Petes sake and Turgeon's all over his ass.

http://247sports.com/Player/Georgios-Papagiannis-36081

My bad, this Greek God has already signed with a Greece League team.  Would have been nice to have a 7-1" guy on the team to knock the Tzatziki out of Isaac Haas.

In regards to coach, none of this matters. The only thing that will matter is the W/L and how deep we go into the tournament next year. For the hater's he can't win right now, he's still soft when he kicks two kids that he loves off the team. I'm a Coach Crean supporter, but he better go deep next year or we need to look elsewhere.

At this point, I don't care what side of the fence you're on...we need results... The side of the fence may or may not determine how hard you cheer for next years team, but I'm guessing everyone will cheer for the team they love. You will cheer even if you think long term this is going to hurt my beloved Hoosiers.

It's not really about who's better. I agree, I think Holt is the better player, but Hanner is 6'9" and long. Hanner can more easily matchup with a 6'11" center. Hanner is a better matchup off the bench against guys like Hass or Hammons. Hanner is a better matchup as a backup against Maryland who has Stone, Carter, Dodd and the big foreign kid off the bench. There will also be games where Holt is the better matchup. They're different players.

Having a 6'9" or taller back-up center just gives the team more options and depth.

Agree with this.  Without Parea and Davis, we're not as athletic in the front court as we would have been.  Williams helps that...a LOT, but with Parea, we were long, fast, and agile.  Bryant isn't really that kind of player.  I don't think he's a plodder, but he's not going to wow anyone with his athletic ability or relative length. Losing these two kids doesn't do much on the floor except hurt depth and take away some options defensively.   What it does do is show we've recruited some kids who don't understand where they are; and that's the larger problem as I see it.  Yes, Crean finally "did what he had to do," but that doesn't erase the 6 episodes which have occurred under his watch over the last 18 months.  Why are we in this position in the first place?

This should be a wake-up call for everyone.   Character matters as much or more than measurable statistics.   Who a kid is matters as much or more than what a kid is.   Winning cures a lot, but Indiana is not a "just win, baby" kind of place.   

In regards to coach, none of this matters. The only thing that will matter is the W/L and how deep we go into the tournament next year. For the hater's he can't win right now, he's still soft when he kicks two kids that he loves off the team. I'm a Coach Crean supporter, but he better go deep next year or we need to look elsewhere.

At this point, I don't care what side of the fence you're on...we need results... The side of the fence may or may not determine how hard you cheer for next years team, but I'm guessing everyone will cheer for the team they love. You will cheer even if you think long term this is going to hurt my beloved Hoosiers.

This is not "all that matters."    Results at Indiana only matter if you do it the right way.   That's one reason Indiana is a special place, and I for one do not want to sell out for the sake of "winning is all that matters."   Character matters.   Fundamentals matter.  Playing great defense matters.   Playing without turning the ball over matters.   Kids being role models matters at Indiana.   A lot.   And this kind of thing happening over and over again hurts recruiting.  A lot.  And that matters, too.  I've said it and I'll keep saying it.   Tom Crean is failing as a leader right now.  I know many people want to blame kids, but these are kids Crean brought in here, and he's the one who said he took the job "because it's Indiana."

That's more than a statement.   He has to own it and live within the expectations here.    I would hope that's non-negotiable, no matter how much Fred Glass likes him, etc.

Old friend - I don't disagree, but at the end of day all that's going to matter is results. I'm not happy with the off court crap over the last few years. I'm not sure I'm satisfied how the IU staff has handled it, but I believe at the end of the day results will determine Coach Crean tenure at IU. Right or wrong, I believe that will be the deciding factor.

Old friend - I too wish defense and fundamentals of setting a screen and ball movement matter. I'm not saying Coach Crean is the answer, but what I am saying results will be the determination... I've supported Coach in the past, but I've seen a lot over the past few years to make me think he might not be the answer.

In regards to the off the court stuff, I'm not sure Knight would have handled it much differently from a public facing respect. I do believe behind closed doors would have been handled a whole lot different. I'm guessing most of the problem kids would have been gone after 6 months and I don't think DDavis is a bad kid.

When I heard this news I knew exactly what happened.

After the arrest, both were submitted to a drug test, fail you are gone, pass you stay on the team.  This is why the couple day delay with the decision and why Hanner is gone despite not being in trouble with the law.

Hey a lot of us smoked weed in college, but I didn't have a full ride to play basketball, I would like to hope I would have been able to abstain with that opportunity.