Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Beachfront Property

Stanford Robinson's Role

I want Stan to be successful. He brings a lot to the floor, including tough defense and the ability to get to the basket. However, his shot is a pretty big issue. It is clear he is trying to get his jumper going, as he has been taking a couple jumpers a game. Unfortunately, I just don't know if he has it in him to be a good shooter. If he could get to the rim, draw fouls and shoot 75% from the stripe I would say he should be getting 20 mins a game. As it is, I don't think he should be getting more than mop-up minutes. I also think he should switch back to shooting left-handed. Stan is 0 for 7 from three and 15 for 31 from the free throw line this year.

What role should Robinson play?

Combo guard off the bench who can facilitate, run the fast break, draw fouls when driving, and serve as a perimeter defender when needed.

He can't shoot like Yogi or RJ, but he's a good defender and can handle the ball. We need him to step in and make sure there isn't any dropoff from our starters when they hit the bench. Since they can shoot and he can't, he needs to find other guys to fill that gap.

I honestly am not sure what role he should play. He can play decent defense and handle the ball at a decent rate, but other than that, there isn't much he can do. He can drive, but he can't finish or make free throws if he is fouled and he can't shoot. His role is mostly just to give Yogi/RJ a break at the point for a few minutes as we all pray that he doesn't do anything dumb

Limited to providing a breather to our "go to" players.  I would be very uncomfortable should Yogi, JBJ or RoJo suffer some type of injury that would cause them to either miss a couple of games or only be able to play substantially reduced minutes.  I think our whole offensive flow would suffer greatly.

At this point I do not want him shooting any more jumpers unless the shot clock is dwindling down.  I would hope that he could develop into a guard off the bench that could Defend and play lead guard for us, ALA Chris Reynolds from the early 90's teams.  I was really expecting a lot from him this year and as of right now he's been the biggest disappointment on the team.  And can we please go one damn game without the announcers saying how Will Sheehey got him to change his shooting hands and blah blah blah, it's not freaking working so quit saying it!

Stan is an overly aggressive ball handler who is just as likely to draw a foul on a hard-nosed drive as he is to turn it over in baffling fashion. On defense, his aggression seems to have the same effect; either drawing a mistake or blowing the cover. As for his shooting, I don't want him taking jumpers or free throws at this point. The de facto 1pt turnovers he draws when he drives aren't worth it when we have an offense capable of scoring at a more consistent clip.

Given that this team needs to rely on ball possession, shooting, and some sort of consistency on defense, spot minutes are all we can afford risking on Stan at this point. As of right now, I have Holt, Zeisoft, and Hartman ahead of him off the bench.

Not sure how or even if Stan fits into this offense. There have been times when he jumpstarts the offense after a stretch with inconsistent execution, BUT more often then not he disrupts offensive flow. It appears that he is thinking the game instead of playing the game. Of all the guys back, I am not sure how his game has changed for the better.

At this point I do not want him shooting any more jumpers unless the shot clock is dwindling down.  I would hope that he could develop into a guard off the bench that could Defend and play lead guard for us, ALA Chris Reynolds from the early 90's teams.  I was really expecting a lot from him this year and as of right now he's been the biggest disappointment on the team.  And can we please go one damn game without the announcers saying how Will Sheehey got him to change his shooting hands and blah blah blah, it's not freaking working so quit saying it!

I like the Chris Reynolds reference. I was thinking the same thing.

Stan is an overly aggressive ball handler who is just as likely to draw a foul on a hard-nosed drive as he is to turn it over in baffling fashion. On defense, his aggression seems to have the same effect; either drawing a mistake or blowing the cover. As for his shooting, I don't want him taking jumpers or free throws at this point. The de facto 1pt turnovers he draws when he drives aren't worth it when we have an offense capable of scoring at a more consistent clip.

Given that this team needs to rely on ball possession, shooting, and some sort of consistency on defense, spot minutes are all we can afford risking on Stan at this point. As of right now, I have Holt, Zeisoft, and Hartman ahead of him off the bench.

Agreed.  Stan is a good defender, but often is too aggressive on both ends. 

Hopefully it will work itself out. He played really well in Canada. Possibly just in a slump and hasn't found his groove yet since the suspension.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBtownBanners1419380754.643077.jpg

Man, look at those numbers from Devin. He was ready for a big year.

I would like to see Holt get more minutes too.

Instead of all the minutes coming from Hanner who has greatly improved----I like the idea of having 2 of the following 3 players on the floor at all times:  Hanner---Holt---Troy

This gives us 2 shot blockers and rebounders at all times.

Hartman almost makes this list for me---if only he was a few inches taller!