Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

1 hour ago, Demo said:

https://burnerball.com/coaching-carousel-conference-preview-b12/

Interesting read. Trilly specifically tying Drew to UK, no surprise, and Tang to Louisville.

Yeah, that makes some good sense.  Louisville might skyrocket with Tang at the helm.  Kids want to play for him and he’s the hot commodity right now. It’ll be interesting to see the season he puts together this year. 

30 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

How incredibly sad. 17 year old that was driving home from school and not distracted, and another car waves a jogger into his path.

I was thinking the same thing when reading about this.

Regardless of any punishment from the law, he has to live with this EVERY SINGLE DAY for the rest of his life. And all this for not having more caution to his driving at seventeen years old - something that ANY of us could have had happen to us. Said a prayer this morning of thanks for this never happening to me, because it easily could have.

The McCaffrey family are in my prayers. Hopefully they are in everyone else’s prayers as well. Horrible, life-changing tragedy.

32 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

I was thinking the same thing when reading about this.

Regardless of any punishment from the law, he has to live with this EVERY SINGLE DAY for the rest of his life. And all this for not having more caution to his driving at seventeen years old - something that ANY of us could have had happen to us. Said a prayer this morning of thanks for this never happening to me, because it easily could have.

The McCaffrey family are in my prayers. Hopefully they are in everyone else’s prayers as well. Horrible, life-changing tragedy.

The court report doesn't read as though he should have had more caution:

McCaffery was driving from his high school in Iowa City. McCaffery was passing stopped cars in a right lane when one of those motorists indicated to a runner that he could cross the multilane street.

McCaffery couldn't see the runner and hit Hite when he stepped in front of his vehicle. The judge determined McCaffery had not been distracted or using a cellphone.

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The police report doesn't read as though he should have had more caution:

McCaffery was driving from his high school in Iowa City. McCaffery was passing stopped cars in a right lane when one of those motorists indicated to a runner that he could cross the multilane street.

McCaffery couldn't see the runner and hit Hite when he stepped in front of his vehicle. The judge determined McCaffery had not been distracted or using a cellphone.

This is the article I read:

https://www.press-citizen.com/story/news/local/2023/09/12/jack-mccaffery-found-guilty-of-failure-to-yield-to-pedestrian-in-fatal-accident-iowa-basketball/70833068007/

“Mr. McCaffery’s failure to approach the crosswalk with care, either by slowing down and/or stopping when approaching the crosswalk in such a way to be able to avoid any contact with a pedestrian lawfully within the crosswalk, indicates that Mr. McCaffery failed to meet the requirements of a reasonable driver in such a situation,” Neary wrote.

”failed to meet the requirements”  - this is what I was referring to. It doesn’t say “cautious enough”, but (to me, anyways) it truly seems to allude that. Hell, I’m 60 now and that could happen under the same circumstances - imagine being 17 and that happening? Unbelievably tragic.

The Court finds that a reasonable person approaching a marked pedestrian crosswalk with an obstructed view of part of the crosswalk should slow down and/or stop to ensure that there was no pedestrian or other entity entering the driver’s lane of traffic. While it is reasonable for Mr. McCaffery to assume the vehicles were stopped to allow a vehicle to make a right-hand turn, that was certainly not the only possible reason the vehicles were stopped at a crosswalk. Mr. McCaffery’s failure to approach the crosswalk with care, either by slowing down and/or stopping when approaching the crosswalk in such a way to be able to avoid any contact with a pedestrian lawfully within the crosswalk, indicates that Mr. McCaffery failed to meet the requirements of a reasonable driver in such a situation. This results in the Court finding him guilty of the statute under the “totality of the circumstances” 

"The court ruled that a driver in front of McCaffery's vehicle had waved Hite across, and the jogger had not stopped or looked for traffic in the left lane. "

It is unfortunate that the jogger made such a costly mistake but there lies the real problem. I've seen it numerous times with vehicles, a good Samaritan with no situational awareness waves someone out and that person frequently goes without even looking.  

2 hours ago, hoosierbgh said:

"The court ruled that a driver in front of McCaffery's vehicle had waved Hite across, and the jogger had not stopped or looked for traffic in the left lane. "

It is unfortunate that the jogger made such a costly mistake but there lies the real problem. I've seen it numerous times with vehicles, a good Samaritan with no situational awareness waves someone out and that person frequently goes without even looking.  

Yep.  Many years ago I saw a very similar thing happen - right lane backed up and a driver waved a school bus out into the path of a pickup driving in the left lane.  It's one reason I won't wave another car out unless I know it is safe.

BTW the guy driving the pickup (no kids onboard) was a co-worker.  He was not at fault but did get ticketed because his license had expired a few days before.

To echo @Tasmanian Devil's comments, this extremely sad accident really is something that likely could have happened to any of us, especially as teenagers, and it's one thing I always worry about with my kids. Driving takes serious concentration and reaction time, really all the time.

Had to deal recently with an extreme example that happened to one of my son's friends, and could have happened to him if he'd been there. 

His friends, college kids, just out at a bar on a regular night out. A fight breaks out at a nearby table, someone at that table draws a gun and starts shooting (Houston is just so ridiculously out of control right now), and my son's roommate and friend is shot -- just sitting at his table. Ambulance arrives, my son's other friends are all extremely upset, of course. Having walked to the bar because they knew they'd have a few, they jog back to their apartment and get in a car to go to the hospital where the other boy has been taken. They run a red light accidentally, hit a car in the intersection, and the other driver is killed. Absolutely horrible situation, no one sees this coming. This is well beyond these posts above, and don't mean to get into such deep stuff, but the point I'm trying to make is tell your kids to always make the right choice getting into a car, always be really attentive, and never drive after drinking no matter what the circumstances.

5 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

To echo @Tasmanian Devil's comments, this extremely sad accident really is something that likely could have happened to any of us, especially as teenagers, and it's one thing I always worry about with my kids. Driving takes serious concentration and reaction time, really all the time.

Had to deal recently with an extreme example that happened to one of my son's friends, and could have happened to him if he'd been there. 

His friends, college kids, just out at a bar on a regular night out. A fight breaks out at a nearby table, someone at that table draws a gun and starts shooting (Houston is just so ridiculously out of control right now), and my son's roommate and friend is shot -- just sitting at his table. Ambulance arrives, my son's other friends are all extremely upset, of course. Having walked to the bar because they knew they'd have a few, they jog back to their apartment and get in a car to go to the hospital where the other boy has been taken. They run a red light accidentally, hit a car in the intersection, and the other driver is killed. Absolutely horrible situation, no one sees this coming. This is well beyond these posts above, and don't mean to get into such deep stuff, but the point I'm trying to make is tell your kids to always make the right choice getting into a car, always be really attentive, and never drive after drinking no matter what the circumstances.

I hope the shooter was arrested. His (or her but probably a guy, imo) actions indirectly lead to the death of the second driver. Can't be charged for that under the law but I hope he gets the max for the laws he broke himself.

I hope your son's friend and everyone else are okay.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey all .. good conversation, but now that we've explored it let's get the thread back on topic.

Thanks

Boiler Up!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2024-ncaa-tournament-odds-kansas-is-the-march-madness-favorite-but-uconn-purdue-ucla-are-best-value-picks/

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

"Purdue has the talent to follow in UVA's footsteps." 

Really? Did they add 3 future NBA draft picks this summer when nobody was looking?