Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

On 6/21/2024 at 9:46 AM, Scotty R said:

Adding those teams wouldn't have made the tournament better either. Just look at UVA where they didn't belong in the tournament but made it. You should have put in ISU in instead if them and everything would have been fine. Norlander on CBS podcast last night also said that with the elimination of the Pac 12 there are going to be more at large bids available now. It eliminates another automatic bid plus the at large bids the Pacers 12 use to get

I’m not really sure where I fall in this conversation, but some of the counter points are that what makes March “Madness” are the schools you wouldn’t pick running through the schools you would to the SW16, EE and FF repeatedly, and as said above that with the Portal (still relatively new) strong players are all over the field now. Basketball of course is a sport in which a few players can make a team. I hate the idea of limiting the tournament to conference winners. The magic of March Madness is the Cinderellas. End of the day it’s mostly about money, and the tournament is already large, but I can see the reasons to consider it

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I’m not really sure where I fall in this conversation, but some of the counter points are that what makes March “Madness” are the schools you wouldn’t pick running through the schools you would to the SW16, EE and FF repeatedly, and as said above that with the Portal (still relatively new) strong players are all over the field now. Basketball of course is a sport in which a few players can make a team. I hate the idea of limiting the tournament to conference winners. The magic of March Madness is the Cinderellas. End of the day it’s mostly about money, and the tournament is already large, but I can see the reasons to consider it

It is perfect at 64

53 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I would prefer going back to 32 than expanding any further.  Ideally they should at least go back to 64.

LOL, we'd probably never make it again if it was only 32. We hardly ever make it now at 68. 

17 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

LOL, we'd probably never make it again if it was only 32. We hardly ever make it now at 68. 

Only if you consider two out of three “hardly ever.” And one of those we would have easily made a 32 team field (unless it was conference champs only).

I strongly suspect that with the team we’ve bought, this year will be three out of four.

3 hours ago, str8baller said:

I would prefer going back to 32 than expanding any further.  Ideally they should at least go back to 64.

We would bet at best NIT bound every year with our current coach!  Leave it the way it is and we have a chance to make at least 50% of the time, lol

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Only if you consider two out of three “hardly ever.” And one of those we would have easily made a 32 team field (unless it was conference champs only).

I strongly suspect that with the team we’ve bought, this year will be three out of four.

And only 6 times in the last 15. We haven't made 3 in a row since the mid-2000's. We'd be on the outside looking in a lot more than not if only 32 teams got in. 

4 hours ago, str8baller said:

Picking a fight with USPS here. We should all be lucky enough to have someone love us as much as he loves the Dayton games. 

Talking about following the money…IU men’s basketball will probably win a couple to a few (half dozen) more games 2024-2025 vs 2023-24 all for a cost of only about $6,000,000.

IMG_3896.thumb.jpg.8e6ea4ff92038d3f7bbabe01870c4b10.jpg

SIAP and I missed it, but I really don't get the love for Coleman Hawkins. I also think Johnell Davis isn't going to be all that at Arkansas. I'd say Ballo will be the most impactful transfer on this list if he can stay healthy, based on the role he is going to play + talent/skill. Curious to see how Storr does at Kansas and if Mahaney ends up being a hit or a miss at UConn.  

SIAP and I missed it, but I really don't get the love for Coleman Hawkins. I also think Johnell Davis isn't going to be all that at Arkansas. I'd say Ballo will be the most impactful transfer on this list if he can stay healthy, based on the role he is going to play + talent/skill. Curious to see how Storr does at Kansas and if Mahaney ends up being a hit or a miss at UConn.  

Robbie Avila at #8 is just crazy. Maybe not top 40.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Demo said:

Picking a fight with USPS here. We should all be lucky enough to have someone love us as much as he loves the Dayton games. 

Definitely one of my favorites during the college basketball season.   Expansion will probably mean while I’m watching the games at Dayton I will be missing games going on at the same time now which I will not be happy about.  Expansion also means I’m probably going to have to take my big bracket apart and replace the bracket that’s in there and that will be a hassle.   While I don’t want expansion if the worst thing is adding more games to the tourney I love then that’s not a bad thing.  4 games on Tuesday and 4 games on Wednesday before Thursday-Sunday.   I will suck it up and watch lol 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

IT’S NOT YOUR MONEY and it’s not the university’s money. EVERY men’s bball team now pays players 

Anyway, a 25+ win season would be nice, and overdue 

So, is that your prediction?  I think that’s very possible but only if Woodson can coach them and develop the chemistry this team will need to be successful 

14 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

So, is that your prediction?  I think that’s very possible but only if Woodson can coach them and develop the chemistry this team will need to be successful 

I predict 25 or more wins. Where that puts us? Can’t predict that.

3 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

with you on Hawkins

3 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

Just ask yourself, who would you rather have, Ballo or Hawkins?