Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

(2015) JUCO PF Ray Kasongo

IMO if we take guys like Priller and April and we need quality bigs, we shouldn't be taking on anymore projects. I would rather have Morgan, Bryant, and Marshall next year. And how do we have enough scholarships available for Kasongo anyway? We lost Sheehey, Vonley, Fischer, Etherington, and Jurkin. Who am I missing? We have JBJ, Rojo, Max, April, and Priller. I also forgot Z from Illinois st.

I agree, it seems silly to take another project guy. We have 12 men on scholarship this year with nobody graduating. Barring an NBA entry (can't see any of Yogi, JBJ or Troy going yet) this will make 2015 recruiting even tougher. Yes, there will most likely be transfers but recruits will just see zero spots open.

http://www.insidethehall.com/indiana-scholarship-numbers

I agree with the above, but let's look at this scholarship issue in a different light...

Very hypothetically, say we pick up Kasongo now, and no one transfers or leaves after this next season.   We would have a very experienced team for the 2015-16 season.  We've had such young teams lately and this next year will not be different.  

How awful would it be if we didn't get any new players for the 2015 season?  Could we have a really experienced team that can be successful?   If so, then we might have a very nice run at  the 2016 class (which is stacked).  where we would reload in 2016 with skilled youngin's and continue.

just some thoughts I had

Jordan Littman @JordanLittman · 9m

2014 PF @RayKasongo32 will begin his official visit to Indiana this Monday, August 18, per his mentor, Brandon Bender. #iubb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's see...that's one day before Emmitt Holt is scheduled to begin his visit. 

That timing tells me that the spot is Ray Kasongo's if he so chooses.

[quote name="ElectricBoogaloo" post="78078" timestamp="1407879037"]Maybe his "mentor" will accompany him.

This whole thing smells bad.[/quote] It worries me, but I agree with pap that IU has zero tolerance for violations and would not accept a commitment if there are issues.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

[quote name="ElectricBoogaloo" post="78078" timestamp="1407879037"]Maybe his "mentor" will accompany him. This whole thing smells bad.[/quote] So does some beef jerky. But it tastes delicious. ...Yeah I reached for that metaphor. Showing myself the door now. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I agree with the above, but let's look at this scholarship issue in a different light...

Very hypothetically, say we pick up Kasongo now, and no one transfers or leaves after this next season.   We would have a very experienced team for the 2015-16 season.  We've had such young teams lately and this next year will not be different.  

How awful would it be if we didn't get any new players for the 2015 season?  Could we have a really experienced team that can be successful?   If so, then we might have a very nice run at  the 2016 class (which is stacked).  where we would reload in 2016 with skilled youngin's and continue.

just some thoughts I had

I think this is a very insightful look at the situation.  I'd like to have a couple of guys ready to come because there is always attrition, but that was a unique and smart take on the situation.  Bravo.

2015 recruiting be darned, we need help now!

Honest question: would it be darned if he was better than any player we might have a realistic shot of landing in '15?  I'm not saying he is or isn't, I don't know.  However if he is, get him now and start locking down '16. 

Honest question: would it be darned if he was better than any player we might have a realistic shot of landing in '15?  I'm not saying he is or isn't, I don't know.  However if he is, get him now and start locking down '16. 

I think getting him here now instead of getting Nick Marshall or Morgan (most realistic recruits) in '15 is better. 

I think getting him here now instead of getting Nick Marshall or Morgan (most realistic recruits) in '15 is better.

Marshall is the guy I had in mind when I posted that. Besides the reality is that if a 5* hoss suddenly wants to come to IU in the spring, there will be a place for him.

Let's make this happen!
2015 recruiting be darned, we need help now!

I was being serious. I say we grab Kasongo and figure 15 out later. I, truly, in my heart feel this way. Kasongo seems like the type of PF I've always wanted. Big, strong, aggressive.

I was hoping for a home run initially with Swanigan or Maker reclassed but if those guys want to come we have room. I like Morgan too, not necessarily better than Kasongo. Maybe even there. Not a fan of Marshall, never have been. I still think 15 is a 2 or 3 man class even if we take Kasongo.

I am fully on board for taking Kasongo. Assuming no academic or other dirty business.