Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Movie Thread

On 2/2/2024 at 5:18 PM, OliviaPope40 said:

I'm starting Oppenheimer.

I bought the DVD before seeing the movie. I THINK the movie was good but it is one in my collection that I have not watched a 2nd time yet. 

36 minutes ago, IH8PU said:

I bought the DVD before seeing the movie. I THINK the movie was good but it is one in my collection that I have not watched a 2nd time yet. 

I enjoyed it. One of the rare movies where I actually wish I knew more about the story going in. I only had surface-level knowledge of most of it, so quite a bit went over my head.

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

I enjoyed it. One of the rare movies where I actually wish I knew more about the story going in. I only had surface-level knowledge of most of it, so quite a bit went over my head.

I have seen Los Alamos there is a museum that has a copy or it might be the actual letter that Einstein wrote to Roosevelt saying that the Russians were capable of creating an atomic bomb. 

On 2/2/2024 at 4:08 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Sadness! Grew up loving the Rocky series.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I saw Rocky III at the Quimby Village Theater (Ft. Wayne) back in the day.  Now it's the Clyde Theater.

Does that date me?

On 4/10/2024 at 9:50 AM, Hovadipo said:

Oppenheimer, the movie...I have mixed thoughts about the movie.  Cillian Murphy, as Oppenheimer, did a compelling acting job.  And I really thought that the movie was outstanding.  Until more than halfway through. The Commie bashing and the courtroom scenes totally ruined the picture for me.  Bigotry, lies and politics like this are not enjoyable.  The editing was a little jerky and the black and white portions were not needed.  Overall, the movie was too long.  I will not see it again.

I applaud the movie for addressing The Bomb at this time when Russia, China, the mid East, and political issues are dividing us bringing the possibility of destruction to the fore, again.  

I remember the space race starting with Sputnik and Echo.  I remember the days before interstate highways and color television.   My family visited Clinch River nuclear site in TN way back when.   I remember JFK and the Cuban missile crisis and LBJ and protested Vietnam.  I grew up with the Beatles and the Moody Blues and Eric Clapton, and Janis Joplin, and...I enlisted and served on a nuclear fast attack submarine.  What a dystopia especially after being on campus in '69.  I do know a little about nukes.  From the triple perspective of electric power generation, the bomb, and environmental issues.  What bothers me is the political, emotional, misinformation which we are all being fed.

Another movie that gets mixed reviews is the musical 'Across the Universe' based on the Beatles songs.   A love story, Vietnam war protesting, and Timothy Leary flashbacks...with singers that really do become their songs.  A little disjointed...some writing lapses...Sonny Bono does Timothy Leary or Mr. Kite, and I Am the Walrus. (Not my favorite.)  What they did to the Beatles songs, other than Bono, was wonderful. And it seemed to me to really be effective in reliving the angst and confusion of those times.  Helter Skelter.   Some of the art was like 5 minutes too much.   But even with the flaws...I recommend the movie.  It was quite the magical mystery tour.  Do follow Jude, Lucy, Max, Sadie, Jo Jo, and others Across the Universe.  Enjoy the Easter Egg references to other songs.  Far out.

'Oh Darling' from the movie: Across the Universe - Oh! Darling (youtube.com) In the flow of the movie, this was compellingly perfect.  

I do know a little about nukes.  From the triple perspective of electric power generation, the bomb, and environmental issues.  What bothers me is the political, emotional, misinformation which we are all being fed.

Say it louder for those in the back

I did love the movie though