Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Do Not Fire Mike Woodson

35 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I guess the difference is I didn't see anything he did as bad in any way. I guess some are to thin in today's society if they think what he said on senior day was bad. I am the fans he was talking about and I didn't bet all butt hurt about it.

This post is ironic because Mike Woodson is captain butthurt. He can’t take even the slightest criticism. I truly have absolutely no idea how he survived the nyc media for 2.5 years. 

42 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I guess the difference is I didn't see anything he did as bad in any way. I guess some are to thin in today's society if they think what he said on senior day was bad. I am the fans he was talking about and I didn't bet all butt hurt about it.

On 2/29/2024 at 4:10 PM, Scotty R said:

I guess I thought I needed to send another email.

Last night once again shows that coach Woodson should not be coaching IU basketball. There is no reason Coach and his staff shouldn't have been out recruiting last night. There were two top in state recruits playing in sectional games yet no IU coach at either one. What we saw were coaches from Purdue, Notre Dame and Iowa in attendance watching these players. This is an embarrassment that our coaching staff is to lazy to actually go out and do their jobs. I am just wondering if they were to busy smoking cigars and drinking wine with their friends. 

This has to be the end of coach Woodson's tenure as coach at Indiana. He was such a great player for IU and I will always love him as a player.  I wish he would retire and allow you to bring in an experience college coach who can bring back IU basketball to where it belongs.

Scott Roberts

21 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Lol what? Thin? No Scott, I’m not personally offended by his moronic self centered stupidity on senior night, it’s embarrassing for the U, guess you don’t care our coach makes a complete horse’s azz out of himself showing he thinks he’s above the fans and everyone else including the seniors the night is supposed to be about, thin skinned? Good grief man

Like I said I wouldn't say what he said on senior night as self centered and moronic. I didn't think he acted like a horses @$$ and if you did which is fine but to me it was really mild. Hate to see your reaction reading Season on the Brink

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

Like I said I wouldn't say what he said on senior night as self centered and moronic. I didn't think he acted like a horses @$$ and if you did which is fine but to me it was really mild. Hate to see your reaction reading Season on the Brink

Me and pretty much everyone but you Scott. What he did was pathetic. And golly I’ve read Season on the Brink twice, we all know who Knight was, get a grip

On 8/15/2024 at 9:16 PM, AH1971 said:

The current best coach in college basketball, Dan Hurley, would have been fired based on this boards criteria for retention well before winning his first title. Through 4 years at UConn, Hurley had:

-two missed tournaments

-zero tournament wins

-both tournament losses to lower seeded teams

-highest conference finish of 3rd place

Jay Wright wouldn’t have made it here. Nor Scott Drew. Or Tony Bennet. Coach K would have been fired long before he ever saw national success. 

You need more or do you get my gist?

Those are some rough examples if you’re a Woody defender because he doesn’t match up well at all.

The best you could do is maybe a young Scott Drew who took over a dead Baylor program. You’d be hard pressed to convince me that IU would’ve fired him given the leash that was given to Crean. But I don’t think anyone, including Woody himself, believes he’s on a 15 year timeline.  

Those guys were young coaches building recruiting and programs juggernauts that were paying off by years 3-5. I guess we’ll see if Woody is in that same boat. I wouldn’t bet money on your theory, though. 

11 hours ago, str8baller said:

Those are some rough examples if you’re a Woody defender because he doesn’t match up well at all.

The best you could do is maybe a young Scott Drew who took over a dead Baylor program. You’d be hard pressed to convince me that IU would’ve fired him given the leash that was given to Crean. But I don’t think anyone, including Woody himself, believes he’s on a 15 year timeline.  

Those guys were young coaches building recruiting and programs juggernauts that were paying off by years 3-5. I guess we’ll see if Woody is in that same boat. I wouldn’t bet money on your theory, though. 

The main difference between them and MW is they were young coaches.

12 hours ago, str8baller said:

So why didn’t IU give Archie more time given his young age? Most were done with Archie after year 2. I don’t buy for one second that those on this board who wanted Archie gone after 2-3 years would give the same pass to the above mentioned coaches who had similar or worse resumes after their first couple years at their respective programs. 

9 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

So why didn’t IU give Archie more time given his young age? Most were done with Archie after year 2. I don’t buy for one second that those on this board who wanted Archie gone after 2-3 years would give the same pass to the above mentioned coaches who had similar or worse resumes after their first couple years at their respective programs. 

Because Archie Miller was next level turrrrrible, and was not well liked by the players.

Whereas the jury is out on Woody, and Woody is truly liked by the players.

Because Archie Miller was next level turrrrrible, and was not well liked by the players. Whereas the jury is out on Woody, and Woody is truly liked by the players.  

BOOM.....And he's proven he can get players to the next level. But, his loyalty to his players sometimes is a determent. Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Schreckbagger said:

BOOM.....And he's proven he can get players to the next level. But, his loyalty to his players sometimes is a determent. Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

Now all he has to prove is, can he win with all of those players who truly like him, and the ones he gets to the next level. 

This year will definitely answer everyone's questions. I personally believe this will be a top 15 team, who should compete for BIG and at least S16(minimum).

Now all he has to prove is, can he win with all of those players who truly like him, and the ones he gets to the next level. 
This year will definitely answer everyone's questions. I personally believe this will be a top 15 team, who should compete for BIG and at least S16(minimum).

I’m not convinced. But I’m excited to find out. I generally think coaching is overrated in many sports and talent wins out. But My appreciation of college basketball coaching only increases over time. Because college basketball proves time and time again it’s a beautiful entanglement of the right talent, coaching, and strategies.

I hope we see some on court wrinkles to support this team and program. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

56 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m not convinced. But I’m excited to find out. I generally think coaching is overrated in many sports and talent wins out. But My appreciation of college basketball coaching only increases over time. Because college basketball proves time and time again it’s a beautiful entanglement of the right talent, coaching, and strategies.

I hope we see some on court wrinkles to support this team and program. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Again, I am right there with you!  I will be happy to eat crow with a little honey mustard if Woodson proves us wrong!  I actually hope he does because I heard crow really tastes good in the spring!

On 8/18/2024 at 9:55 AM, AH1971 said:

Along with what Stuhoo said, Archie looked in over his head almost from the beginning. Probably because he was young I held out a little hope longer than I normally would. But most other HoF coaches listed gave fans/admins real tangible evidence of an upward trajectory, often in the form of recruiting. 

With that said, recruiting is different now with unlimited transfers and NIL. I’d give Woody the benefit of the doubt and say this offseason (basically, March till now) he’s nailed it. That’s different than what those other coaches did through recruiting, but it’s quite possible we live in an entirely different cbb world now. 

If he can continue to dominate that aspect combined with some minor coaching adjustments, people are going to give him more time.  I still think there a limited time frame given his age, but we take things one season at a time.

9 minutes ago, str8baller said:

If he can continue to dominate that aspect combined with some minor coaching adjustments, people are going to give him more time.  I still think there a limited time frame given his age, but we take things one season at a time.

It will come down to consistency just it did with Crean. CTC gave us some great years and some of our all time fav players, and the players liked him, and he got several to the NBA —  but he had weaknesses in his on court understanding of the game, his team D, he couldn’t maintain balance in his recruiting and thus couldn’t win consistently, and didn’t get past the SW16 so it was time to move on from him - and he was a lot younger. 

Woodson can - and must - get on track this season. But even assuming he does, at the level expected with this roster, he’ll have to back it up with consistency going forward. Crean couldn’t. Can Woodson? Open question 

10 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Along with what Stuhoo said, Archie looked in over his head almost from the beginning. Probably because he was young I held out a little hope longer than I normally would. But most other HoF coaches listed gave fans/admins real tangible evidence of an upward trajectory, often in the form of recruiting. 

With that said, recruiting is different now with unlimited transfers and NIL. I’d give Woody the benefit of the doubt and say this offseason (basically, March till now) he’s nailed it. That’s different than what those other coaches did through recruiting, but it’s quite possible we live in an entirely different cbb world now. 

Jay Wright had a worse record in year 3 than he did year 1. So did Mike Kryzewski. As did Scott Drew. John Beilein went 15-17 in year 3 at Michigan. You want to know who improved years 1 through 3? Archie Miller.

I don't buy for one second that people like you would have given these other coaches the benefit of the doubt. Your arguments clearly don't hold water. Archie Miller had a top 10 class in year 2 and followed that up with another 5* recruit. 

5 hours ago, AH1971 said:

Jay Wright had a worse record in year 3 than he did year 1. So did Mike Kryzewski. As did Scott Drew. John Beilein went 15-17 in year 3 at Michigan. You want to know who improved years 1 through 3? Archie Miller.

I don't buy for one second that people like you would have given these other coaches the benefit of the doubt. Your arguments clearly don't hold water. Archie Miller had a top 10 class in year 2 and followed that up with another 5* recruit. 

Jay Wright was in the Sweet 16 in year 4, Elite 8 in Year 5, tournament appearance in year 6, Sweet 16 again in year 7, and Final Four in year 8.  Yeah he might have been on the hot seat a bit heading into year 4 but he took off from there.  And that was in an era where you couldn't openly buy your team.

Coach K went to 2nd round in year 4 and 5 and was runner up in year 6.  He followed that with Sweet 16, Final Four, Final Four, Runner Up, Champion, Champion.

Scott Drew may make your point but he took over a program where players were literally killing each other.   So not exactly a top flight program and a crappy situation to boot.

In the past when you were recruiting high school seniors to build a team, you expected to see things take off around year 4.  That is when your recruiting and your system dominate the team.  Coaches that do well tend to hit their stride on or before year 4 and then have a period where they go on a run.  Woodson has his team, we should expect big things this year.  And yes, those other guys would have been on the hot seat in year 4.  The difference between them and Miller was that they made hay in year 4 and answered critics and he laid an egg.

29 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Jay Wright was in the Sweet 16 in year 4, Elite 8 in Year 5, tournament appearance in year 6, Sweet 16 again in year 7, and Final Four in year 8.  Yeah he might have been on the hot seat a bit heading into year 4 but he took off from there.  And that was in an era where you couldn't openly buy your team.

Coach K went to 2nd round in year 4 and 5 and was runner up in year 6.  He followed that with Sweet 16, Final Four, Final Four, Runner Up, Champion, Champion.

Scott Drew may make your point but he took over a program where players were literally killing each other.   So not exactly a top flight program and a crappy situation to boot.

In the past when you were recruiting high school seniors to build a team, you expected to see things take off around year 4.  That is when your recruiting and your system dominate the team.  Coaches that do well tend to hit their stride on or before year 4 and then have a period where they go on a run.  Woodson has his team, we should expect big things this year.  And yes, those other guys would have been on the hot seat in year 4.  The difference between them and Miller was that they made hay in year 4 and answered critics and he laid an egg.

EXACTLY.

Which is why it’s stupid to declare a coach a failure after 3 years if he doesn’t instantly win and win big (more so talking Woodson here). 

I just think it’s hypocritical for the Fire Archie/Fire Woodson crowd after 2-3 seasons to sit there and say they would have given all this leeway to these current or future HoF coaches who had similar or worse resumes in the same time frame. But I understand there’s a narrative that needs driven home.

But cycling through coaches every 4-5 seasons because they don’t win at a high level overnight is only going to drive this program further and further into obscurity.

10 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

EXACTLY.

Which is why it’s stupid to declare a coach a failure after 3 years if he doesn’t instantly win and win big (more so talking Woodson here). 

I just think it’s hypocritical for the Fire Archie/Fire Woodson crowd after 2-3 seasons to sit there and say they would have given all this leeway to these current or future HoF coaches who had similar or worse resumes in the same time frame. But I understand there’s a narrative that needs driven home.

But cycling through coaches every 4-5 seasons because they don’t win at a high level overnight is only going to drive this program further and further into obscurity.

Out of curiosity, what's your criteria on how long to give a coach to prove himself. I've always thought at least give them the full 4 year recruiting cycle. But with how NIL and the portal are, you should have a pretty good idea if they are going to be successful in year 2 or 3.

1 hour ago, J34 said:

Out of curiosity, what's your criteria on how long to give a coach to prove himself. I've always thought at least give them the full 4 year recruiting cycle. But with how NIL and the portal are, you should have a pretty good idea if they are going to be successful in year 2 or 3.

3 years bare minimum barring scandal or something that resembles Kenny Payne’s tenure. And that’s regardless of the college basketball climate. Firing a coach every two years because you don’t like their overnight results is asinine.