Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierHoopster

Woodson and the HT on his new roster

Mods if this should be in another thread plz feel free , didn't think this belongs in the Fire Woodson thread but move if/as needed

Some highlights from this HT story, maybe "here we go again" should start it, but maybe with room for optimism that he'll get around to instituting a wing and outside game --

Indiana basketball roster remodel gives Mike Woodson flexibility (heraldtimesonline.com)

“I’m going to try to play two bigs,” Woodson said, “just to test it.” [ugh]

Woodson has larger ambitions on his mind though. Running back last year’s frontcourt rotations isn’t the limit of his thinking....

The Hoosiers might begin games with two bigs, but they’ve certainly got the personnel to flip to smaller lineups that stretch opponents from multiple directions and well beyond the 3-point line.

“Just like I played in New York,” Woodson said, referring to his time with the Knicks. “I just haven’t been able to get there, and I think we can this year.”

And Woodson said Wednesday he believes Bellarmine transfer forward Langdon Hatton can open his range up as far as the 3-point line in time.

“These eight weeks, man, of summer play, will kind of shape where we are as a ball club,” Woodson said, “and give me some kind of indication going into next season.”

[some things he'll hopefully see:]

Mgbako finished last season greatly improved at both ends of the floor. He scored in double figures in all but two games from the start of February onward and shot 37.8% from 3-point range in league play. After making two or more 3s in just four of IU’s first 13 games in his freshman season, Mgbako managed the feat 13 times in the Hoosiers’ final 20.

Goode’s bonafides are long established. A dangerous 3-point shooter, Goode averaged 38.8% from distance across three seasons in Champaign, and shot slightly better than that last season in 157 attempts, far and away his highest single-season volume in college.

A McDonald’s All American, Tucker brings midrange skill to the rotation, and with time should become an equally reliable 3-point shooter as well. He might also be the most dynamic of the three.

Together, they give Woodson the kind of depth and flexibility he’s not necessarily enjoyed to this point in his Indiana tenure.

19 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Do anyone seriously think one of Ballo or Reneau wouldn't start? 

No, everyone knows they're both going to start. It's the ridiculousness of his comment. He makes it sound like he's running some sort of experiment, like playing 2 bigs is something new. It also implies that he'd make a change if it doesn't work out which is funny. Even if they don't play well together, he'll continue to start both.

2 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

No, everyone knows they're both going to start. It's the ridiculousness of his comment. He makes it sound like he's running some sort of experiment, like playing 2 bigs is something new. It also implies that he'd make a change if it doesn't work out which is funny. Even if they don't play well together, he'll continue to start both.

Or it alludes to the fact that IU actually now has depth and versatility to play a combination of lineups if one in particular isn't working. Reneau and Ware were by far and away the two best players from start to finish last year, hence the reason they both played 30 mpg together last season.

But you knew that. 

13 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Or it alludes to the fact that IU actually now has depth and versatility to play a combination of lineups if one in particular isn't working. Reneau and Ware were by far and away the two best players from start to finish last year, hence the reason they both played 30 mpg together last season.

But you knew that. 

It worked out pretty well. If you consider having both a bad offense and a bad defense, getting blown out by pretty much any team with a pulse, finishing in the middle of the pack of the B1G, and missing the tournament as working out pretty well, that is. Woodson says Woodson "did his job" so I guess he does.

5 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

It worked out pretty well. If you consider having both a bad offense and a bad defense, getting blown out by pretty much any team with a pulse, finishing in the middle of the pack of the B1G, and missing the tournament as working out pretty well, that is. Woodson says Woodson "did his job" so I guess he does.

I don't know what the hell that means or what that has to do with what you said earlier? Delusional if you think Ware and Reneau are the reason why IU was bad last year. 

I am not a fan of the 1970s style 2-big lineup, but — with this roster and Woodson’s lineup outlook that’s what we’re doing so looking for a path to success with it, think Timberwolves this year, Gobert and KAT.
No, our guys aren’t the same kind of players, but use the perimeter shooting we now clearly have, and we can be dangerous with this team. Pieces are there to compete at the top of the B1G even sticking with the dated 2-big system. Up to Woodson to grow with the improved team, hoping to see it.

It would vary by matchup but at the start of the year I’d  like to see Ballo play the same or a minute or two more than he did last year which would put him at roughly 26-28 minutes.  If MR plays 30 minutes a game, with 12-14 of those being at the 5 when Ballo sits, that would mean they would only  play together for 16-18 of the gametime 40 minutes. Would be interesting to see how that works and then adjust accordingly for the rest of the season.

4 hours ago, go iu bb said:

I get all the Woody negativity but how should he have responded in the interview?

No comment,  I’d rather not say, I don’t know yet ????

He gave kind of canned responses which only happen in what…99% of interviews?

4 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I am not a fan of the 1970s style 2-big lineup, but — with this roster and Woodson’s lineup outlook that’s what we’re doing so looking for a path to success with it, think Timberwolves this year, Gobert and KAT.
No, our guys aren’t the same kind of players, but use the perimeter shooting we now clearly have, and we can be dangerous with this team. Pieces are there to compete at the top of the B1G even sticking with the dated 2-big system. Up to Woodson to grow with the improved team, hoping to see it.

Lol

3 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I get all the Woody negativity but how should he have responded in the interview?

No comment,  I’d rather not say, I don’t know yet ????

He gave kind of canned responses which only happen in what…99% of interviews?

The guy very clearly didn’t read the article which was entirely about roster construction. Woodson’s comments when put into context clearly suggest he isn’t married to the idea of playing two bigs because of the other pieces he added in the portal. 

8 hours ago, HinnyHoosier said:

This is going to be Fire Mike Woodson Vol. 2...

Last year it was all about not having top-level guards, distributors and shooters and defenders outside.  Until we see the new team and how they are utilized during gametime, all this gnashing teeth and whining is inconsequential.  But hey, knock yourselves out.  

Your coach is in AH.

By the way, who has $7+ million to spare for '25 - '26 NIL?   

I haven't been here in a month or so as it's the off-season for Indiana Basketball. But these quotes were hard to digest. Of course he will play Ballo and Malik together to start, it will work great vs the cupcakes on the schedule. I'm more interested in his actual rotations in the B1G. 

His comment on wanting to play like his team in New York is hysterical. But, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt this season and see what he can do with this talent. I imagine it won't be pretty basketball, but I'll let him see what he can do. I have my doubts of this style of play he wants to play in the years 2024-2025.

8 minutes ago, Trish said:

I haven't been here in a month or so as it's the off-season for Indiana Basketball. But these quotes were hard to digest. Of course he will play Ballo and Malik together to start, it will work great vs the cupcakes on the schedule. I'm more interested in his actual rotations in the B1G. 

His comment on wanting to play like his team in New York is hysterical. But, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt this season and see what he can do with this talent. I imagine it won't be pretty basketball, but I'll let him see what he can do. I have my doubts of this style of play he wants to play in the years 2024-2025.

His team in New York won 54 games (the most wins from that franchise since the 96-97 season) and lead the league in both 3 pointers made and 3 pointers attempted.

5 hours ago, AH1971 said:

His team in New York won 54 games (the most wins from that franchise since the 96-97 season) and lead the league in both 3 pointers made and 3 pointers attempted.

His last team in NY went 37-45 for 7th in the league in 3PT %. So you can pick and choose his best years all you want, but his knowledge of modern basketball is still lackluster. Frankly, I think that’s why he was never hired again as a head coach. 

2 hours ago, Trish said:

His last team in NY went 37-45 for 7th in the league in 3PT %. So you can pick and choose his best years all you want, but his knowledge of modern basketball is still lackluster. Frankly, I think that’s why he was never hired again as a head coach. 

And the NYK demoted Glen Grunwald and hired Steve Mills and Phil Jackson who cleaned house and the franchise went into the absolute can for the remainder of the decade. Absolute dumbest thing the Knicks did was fire Woodson in favor of Derek Fischer who was familiar with Jackson’s Triangle offense. They won 17 games the year after they fired Woody and never recovered under that regime. Didn’t once sniff the playoffs despite chronically going over the luxury tax. 

Nitpicking a coach for finishing in the top third of the entire league in 3 pointers made and attempted is laugh out loud funny. 

10 hours ago, Trish said:

I think the only thing I’d disagree with is that it will work great vs the cupcakes.  They seemed to be pretty competitive against a Woodson system last season