Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

(2025) QB - Julian Lewis Somewhat to USC Technically

I mean; in football (especially at QB) you would like to recruit a star QB who can sit behind your upperclassmen for 2 years and then take over junior year being very well versed in your system.  (A la Arch Manning at Texas).  Obviously the transfer portal has changed that somewhat, but I still think the above is the superior tactic rather than adding a guy for a year.  
People not interested in a 4/5 star stud QB because he might not be as good as senior Tayven Jackson year 1 is insane to me.  And also very short sighted.  Yeah, he won't help much next year, but it helps in establishing your program and being able to not miss a beat when your guy graduates.  

Agreed, except a place like Indiana gets a high rated guy because he expects to play. Even the top notch programs are having this problem. But yeah, if you can hold onto and build talent, that is what wins.

Ohio state has 5 stars that don’t play and Georgia, Alabama, but the list is short.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Has Cigs/Shanahan had success with mobile QB as well?  Wondering about next year and the 2 QBs on the roster now and which is more likely to take over unless we sign someone better.  

9 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Has Cigs/Shanahan had success with mobile QB as well?  Wondering about next year and the 2 QBs on the roster now and which is more likely to take over unless we sign someone better.  

Jordan McCloud ('23 Sun Belt POY) ran almost 100 times for 8 TDs last season for JMU.

Todd Centeio ('22 Sun Belt Offensive POY) had basically the same stat line the year before.

But to be honest, I don't see Lewis as much of a true runner. He'll keep plays alive, but you aren't designing runs for him.

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

Jordan McCloud ('23 Sun Belt POY) ran almost 100 times for 8 TDs last season for JMU.

Todd Centeio ('22 Sun Belt Offensive POY) had basically the same stat line the year before.

That is kind of what i thought but could not remember.  Do you think Tayven or Cherry is more likely just based on the current roster?  It seems when Tayven has been in this year it has been a run first focus.

11 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

That is kind of what i thought but could not remember.  Do you think Tayven or Cherry is more likely just based on the current roster?  It seems when Tayven has been in this year it has been a run first focus.

I'm a big Tayven guy, but I also know a lot more about him than Cherry. They seem to be pretty similar though. I think TJ's crazy talented and has a high ceiling especially under this staff. Going back a ways, it's hard to find a QB that hasn't really thrived under these guys, so I'll be fired up about whoever is running the offense in 2025.

17 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I'm a big Tayven guy, but I also know a lot more about him than Cherry. They seem to be pretty similar though. I think TJ's crazy talented and has a high ceiling especially under this staff. Going back a ways, it's hard to find a QB that hasn't really thrived under these guys, so I'll be fired up about whoever is running the offense in 2025.

Yeah, if I'm a QB in high school and IU offers me, I'm seriously thinking about going there. I take comfort knowing who's coaching the position. And when Rourke is drafted and McCloud signs with an NFL team the IUFB stock raises even higher. Assuming we can keep Coach Cig, IUFB will be a sought out place to play by some of the nation's best high school QBs. 

2 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Yeah, if I'm a QB in high school and IU offers me, I'm seriously thinking about going there. I take comfort knowing who's coaching the position. 

There might just be something to this "old guy that's torn up G6 competition" thing too. You won't find Kurtis Rourke every year, but when you do that's a friggin' winning lotto ticket and imo the older guys are generally more likely to see the benefit of coming to play for this staff.

See how your staff/roster shakes out after the carousel stops spinning, bring in a Rourke-type, have him fight it out in spring ball with your development guys and see who's left standing.

7 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

There might just be something to this "old guy that's torn up G6 competition" thing too. You won't find Kurtis Rourke every year, but when you do that's a friggin' winning lotto ticket and imo the older guys are generally more likely to see the benefit of coming to play for this staff.

See how your staff/roster shakes out after the carousel stops spinning, bring in a Rourke-type, have him fight it out in spring ball with your development guys and see who's left standing.

How much is it about finding a Kurtis Rourke and how much is it about coaching a Kurtis Rourke?  

21 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

How much is it about finding a Kurtis Rourke and how much is it about coaching a Kurtis Rourke?  

Like almost everything, somewhere in the middle. Rourke was a stud before he came to IU. 

38 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

IU is still trying to get him back on campus and a couple games are being discussed. 

...Well, with 4 left to choose, I would think IU's homecoming weekend vs. Nebraska could be a stretch since he was just at USC last weekend, but I could see the Michigan game or the Washington game as two beauts'. Who knows? 

On 10/10/2024 at 12:14 PM, Hovadipo said:

Cherry was a much better high school QB than Tayven, coming from the same high school. Center Grove was still a very run-oriented team with Tayven under center and threw out of luxury the majority of the time. Center Grove changed their entire offense around Cherry and would imagine he owns just about every CG passing record. Tayven is more a more athletic, mobile QB than Cherry but Cherry as a pocket passer has an enormous ceiling. 

15 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Cherry was a much better high school QB than Tayven, coming from the same high school. Center Grove was still a very run-oriented team with Tayven under center and threw out of luxury the majority of the time. Center Grove changed their entire offense around Cherry and would imagine he owns just about every CG passing record. Tayven is more a more athletic, mobile QB than Cherry but Cherry as a pocket passer has an enormous ceiling. 

They started throwing more Tayvens senior year.    He changed the offense around him also for his senior year.    CG fans (myself including thought they threw too much).   This year they are throwing more out of necessity because don’t have a dominant running threat which isn’t normal.   One of our WR this year broke the school record for yards in a game.   It will be interesting how the offense will look once Moore retires 

8 hours ago, Artie86 said:

You have to wonder what Julian is thinking right now with USC. 

DC2345 posted on BTB that Sunseri was in Georgia last Friday..... hmmmm.

Not to derail the thread, but Tino has been working on Atlanta OT Dennis Uzochukwu with Bob as well...potential flip to keep an eye on if CCC and staff push.

https://247sports.com/Player/dennis-uzochukwu-46150977/