Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

4 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Injuries obviously happen but knock on wood because Ballo hasn't missed a game in 3 years. Goode was the backup "4" for the Illini last year. I think he'd be fine there on the court next to Ballo. 

If Ballo were hurt for a game or two I wouldn’t be sad about a Rice, Carlyle, Goode, Mgbako, Reneau lineup.

May need to see some zone to protect Malik but good luck guarding us.

2 minutes ago, Juwan Moye said:

If Ballo were hurt for a game or two I wouldn’t be sad about a Rice, Carlyle, Goode, Mgbako, Reneau lineup.

May need to see some zone to protect Malik but good luck guarding us.

Not sure Ballo could be hurt.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Pretty surprised by the Hemenway thing. Assuming he and the Ukranian kid are spots 12 and 13, we’d better be praying for really good frontcourt health. You’ve got 2 5’s, a 4-5 and a 3-4 and that’s all of your size, and, no, I’m not on board with Goode playing as a small ball 4. If everyone stays healthy the rotations work fine. But if you lose Ballo or Reneau for a period of time, that could get really dicey. Forget 3 guard lineups, it’s not too tough to see situations when this team is playing 4. 

I don't understand why you wouldn't want Goode playing some 4. Those mentions have befuddled me this week. 

His rebounding rate is equal to Anthony Walker and he's much better offensively. Give a little, get a little. If we didn't play in the B1G (archaic basketball) this wouldn't even be a discussion, imo. 

I mean-- Hartman could play the 4 fine, and Goode is a better athlete than Collin. Goode reb rate was very solid this year and the closeouts he'd create would help you exponentially. 

I actually really like what we have here, provided, we get the final 2. I applaud the staff, so far. I hated the two platoon system and it killed the analytics of who we were supposed to beat and by how many. We may have at least somewhat a better chance at doing some run with hit this year.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't understand why you wouldn't want Goode playing some 4. Those mentions have befuddled me this week. 

His rebounding rate is equal to Anthony Walker and he's much better offensively. Give a little, get a little. If we didn't play in the B1G (archaic basketball) this wouldn't even be a discussion, imo. 

I mean-- Hartman could play the 4 fine, and Goode is a better athlete than Collin. Goode reb rate was very solid this year and the closeouts he'd create would help you exponentially. 

Yeah, it’s funny that during the season people were crying for small ball but not that those options are available they want more bigs

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I guess.  I’m glad we are using 13 but I’d rather take a developmental type big man.  And this backup big?  Let’s see what shakes out. 

I’d prefer an underclass man big who potentially could start in 2025-26 but maybe the staff doesn’t like any of those guys currently in the portal?

If, oh, Northwestern was starting the following lineup and had a typical (read: bad) NW bench, how would you expect them to perform? (Please spare me the coaching discussion, pretend the coach is League Avg B1G coach):

Grey Talloway

Tony Teal

Tyson Brucker

Hugh Loode

Monmouth transfer C

4 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

I’d prefer a underclass man big who potentially could start in 2025-26 but maybe the staff doesn’t like any of those guys currently in the portal?

This AND/OR they have proof of concept that their track record gives them a good shot at the best big in the portal each spring.

28 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Yeah, it’s funny that during the season people were crying for small ball but not that those options are available they want more bigs

One dude saying he wouldn’t want to see Goode as a small ball 5 isn’t conclusive here.

I’d have some worries about Goode at the 4 but would vastly prefer it over seeing the Malik/Ballo pairing. I still firmly believe our best lineups will be with Mgabko at the 4 and Ballo at the 5.

3 minutes ago, lillurk said:

This AND/OR they have proof of concept that their track record gives them a good shot at the best big in the portal each spring.

Yeah, there seems to be less value in trying to develop guys immediately when you can spend a couple hundred grand to get someone proven and then build up them up from there.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

People want a well balanced roster that can withstand injuries in the frontcourt and backcourt. Best to not overindex on fixing last years problem at the expense of creating a new one.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Guys like that don’t want to be back of the bench this year 

Some would but they might well be guys the staff thinks won’t ever develop into legit B1G 10 starters anyway 

16 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

People want a well balanced roster that can withstand injuries in the frontcourt and backcourt. Best to not overindex on fixing last years problem at the expense of creating a new one.

If NK signs, IU now has at least 3 players that can play the 5.  Do we really need a fourth string center more than someone who is a career 43% shooter from deep?