Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

48 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Rice and Carlyle combined averaged 26 points a game last year as first year players. Woodson hasn’t had a guard duo combine for 20 points in a single season yet. I can’t help you if you don’t understand what adding dynamic shot makers to this roster means.

Whatever you say pal.  

46 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Freshman wall doesn't really explain away his bad 3pt shooting. He shot .228 against P5 opponents, even just  .291 if you remove the 0  for 22.

After November against opponents not named Prarie View, Utah Tech, Eastern Washington, Idaho, Rhode Island, Miss St, he shot just.239 the remainder of the year.

Haven't seen him play a lick, so can't make a fair judgement, but those trying to explain away his poor 3pt shooting by freshman wall or except for... are being disingenuous.

Go look at his highlight reel -- they all go in.  

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

The weather is amazing today - some of y’all should get out, enjoy and revisit the board later this evening. 

I am! I’m on vacation!  It’s 75 and Sunny at the beach!  Drink up all and enjoy the day! We finally landed our 1st portal recruit this year, now comes the domino effect!

I think with these guys getting bags now, it actually makes it easier to not promise playing time or feel that pressure. 

“you’re getting paid, son. I don’t get paid if you don’t produce. Sit.” 

13 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

You don’t average 15 a game as a freshman if you can’t make shots. And I don’t need a highlight tape to tell me that either, Chief.

make shots or score?   There is a difference.  

Just now, Golfman25 said:

make shots or score?   There is a difference.  

I wasn’t aware there was an alternate way of scoring without making shots. When did this new concept come into play?

36 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Gotta get a cap in play in the future and regulation applicable across D1. This unregulated wild west will kill mid-majors fast. Sure I’m glad IU has NIL money but man this is bad overall for the college game and needs fixing soon. Cant say I have the answers but hope we see progress in the right direction soon

Putting a cap in place would just revert back to teams that will/have aggressively cheated in the past to find ways around the new ‘rule’  - and pay over it, under the table. Not sure about your faith in the NCAA’s ability to enforce rules equitably, but mine is less than zero! The wild west is liberating to programs like IU…who have major fan bases and financial supporters—but didn’t have admins willing to do things under the table like most of the elite teams over the past 30 yrs. Wild West (free market) has at least provided us with an opportunity to swim in the same pool with some recruits, and maybe even be competitive. FYI .. it was never the drop ceilings! 

I get that free market ruins the purity of the game, wrecks continuity, potentially crushes mid-major long term competitiveness…but this is big business now, not idealistic amateurism. That still exists…just in non-revenue college sports!

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I wasn’t aware there was an alternate way of scoring without making shots. When did this new concept come into play?

Really, you don't know the difference.  TJD was a scorer, who couldn't make a shot to save his life.  Edey too.  Pretty much, everything was under the basket.    

Just now, Golfman25 said:

Really, you don't know the difference.  TJD was a scorer, who couldn't make a shot to save his life.  Edey too.  Pretty much, everything was under the basket.    

Rice scored like Edey or TJD last year? Got it.

Shot making isn’t limited to making 3 pointers, as hard as that is to believe for some.

8 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

Putting a cap in place would just revert back to teams that will/have aggressively cheated in the past to find ways around the new ‘rule’  - and pay over it, under the table. Not sure about your faith in the NCAA’s ability to enforce rules equitably, but mine is less than zero! The wild west is liberating to programs like IU…who have major fan bases and financial supporters—but didn’t have admins willing to do things under the table like most of the elite teams over the past 30 yrs. Wild West (free market) has at least provided us with an opportunity to swim in the same pool with some recruits, and maybe even be competitive. FYI .. it was never the drop ceilings! 

I get that free market ruins the purity of the game, wrecks continuity, potentially crushes mid-major long term competitiveness…but this is big business now, not idealistic amateurism. That still exists…just in non-revenue college sports!

End the pro draft rules.  Let the high school kids go directly to the NBA.  

8 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

College sports as they currently exist are bastardized versions of professional sports. They’re professional sports without salary caps and without contracts. Players can come and go as they please, playing for whoever they want in a given season. It’s a terrible setup and needs to be corralled big time. 

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Rice scored like Edey or TJD last year? Got it.

WTF you talking about?  You don't know what shotmaking is vs scoring.  Whatever.

His stats speak for themselves.  He's light on the 3 point %, period.  Maybe he makes that "jump."  Or gets over the hump.