Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

2 hours ago, AH1971 said:

Rice has 3 as does Carlyle. I believe this would be Ballo's Covid year. 

LOL don't you think Old Fart knows how many years each one of our targets have left?  He was just making the statement that he wants players with more than one.  

3 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think if you are IU this is your hope

Rice

Conwell (I'd take Hickman here too)

Mgbako 

Reneau

Ballo

Bench: Galloway (1-3), Tucker (3), Humrichous (3-4), maybe add another big for backup minutes to play the 5

Cupps, Newton, Leal will be your 10-12 guys which I think is ideal. 

This is EXACTLY my thought, so it must be right! 

I am not excited about Carlyle, because I think paired with Rice it will be, at absolute best, an average 3p shooting backcourt. Realistically below average. With Trey likely your 6th man, it's shaping up to be a worse shooting team than last year.  

Conwell > Carlyle and pretty unlikely we get both. 

30 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Yes you did start the whole charade equating Woodson golfing to not doing his job, it's not like we don't have 4 prospects visiting this weekend literally the day after the dead period ends, but I'm pretty sure @Golfman25 is the one who said multiple times that landing 3 top 50 transfers is next to an impossible feat as it has only been done once....or something along those lines. 

As far as your expectations go, they are yours. I won't tell you otherwise. My expectation is to always make the tournament and compete for a B10 title. 

Yes, and if Mediocre Mike does it, it will be twice.  The facts are the facts.  What's your point?  

I absolutely agree we need better 3-point shooting.  But, if we have some guards that can penetrate and get buckets or dish off for easy assists plus a strong offensive rebounder we don't have to be as reliant on the 3-point shot.  And that's in no way saying we don't need to be far better at it but that our offensive arsenal is much improved with significant upgrades in guard play and offensive rebounding.

22 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

This is EXACTLY my thought, so it must be right! 

I am not excited about Carlyle, because I think paired with Rice it will be, at absolute best, an average 3p shooting backcourt. Realistically below average. With Trey likely your 6th man, it's shaping up to be a worse shooting team than last year.  

Conwell > Carlyle and pretty unlikely we get both. 

I would wager that both Rice and Carlyle will shoot closer to 35% this year on decent volume than what each shot last year. Couple that with Mgbako who shot extremely well in-conference on volume and I think the shooting concerns are well over blown given that Rice and Carlyle are both extremely dynamic guards who can get their own shot anywhere on the court.

In other words, I'm not worried about teams packing the lane like last year daring Cupps/Galloway/Leal/Johnson or whoever else was out on the perimeter to shoot. 

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Yes, and if Mediocre Mike does it, it will be twice.  The facts are the facts.  What's your point?  

That it's awful early to play Chicken Little this early in the process.

1 hour ago, Go_Hoosiers said:

Watching the highlights of all these Pac 12 guys and every once in a while you get a highlight at Oregon and I cringe. That floor is awful to watch basketball on. I may need to just listen to Fisch whenever we play at Oregon.

Regardless - excited about these new guys, but I don't want Ballou shooting free throws with the game on the line!

Or Gallo for that matter LOL 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Some guy named Chris posted on this thread at 8:25 this morning. I've heard that both deals are done for Rice and Carlyle. Tell Travis to get up a little earlier. I'm just kidding.

I know you posted earlier and that you are just kidding.  Just adding some outside corroboration.

Just now, AH1971 said:

That it's awful early to play Chicken Little this early in the process.

Nothing chicken little about it.  Looking at the past, few teams are able to pull in 3 top 25 or 50 players.  If Mediocre Mike does it, he'll be on the Mt. Rushmore of portal hauls.  Whether that equates to Championships, we'll see.  

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Not sure which is a known shooter but I’ve watched a lot of Washington St games this year where Rice was on fire from 3.  Also watched some games where he struggled.   Didn’t watch as many Stanford games but that kid had some good games.   Torched Arizona with a 6-8 performance from 3 and 28 points.   However he also struggled in some games.     Anyone know last time IU had a player hit 6 threes in a game.   Last year hitting 6 for the whole team would of been a good week 

Sometimes I was just happy not having 6 air balls in one game from 3 LOL

12 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I absolutely agree we need better 3-point shooting.  But, if we have some guards that can penetrate and get buckets or dish off for easy assists plus a strong offensive rebounder we don't have to be as reliant on the 3-point shot.  And that's in no way saying we don't need to be far better at it but that our offensive arsenal is much improved with significant upgrades in guard play and offensive rebounding.

The way the roster might be shaping up with some dynamic guards.  Woodson really needs to look at UConn's offenses' schemes.  

45 minutes ago, Trish said:

Here's Rice's shot chart. Let me know if anyone wants anything else. I have some time this morning. 

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 9.19.20 AM.png

But what about FT....   Can he hit more than 75% from the line, LOL

11 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I would wager that both Rice and Carlyle will shoot closer to 35% this year on decent volume than what each shot last year. Couple that with Mgbako who shot extremely well in-conference on volume and I think the shooting concerns are well over blown given that Rice and Carlyle are both extremely dynamic guards who can get their own shot anywhere on the court.

In other words, I'm not worried about teams packing the lane like last year daring Cupps/Galloway/Leal/Johnson or whoever else was out on the perimeter to shot. 

How much closer to 35%? I might take that bet! I will cheer for whoever we end up with, but this is shaping up to be a counterintuitive roster, IMO. Obviously improvement is expected and possible, but we thought the same thing for some guys last year. Now Rice & Carlyle might be 'better' and have higher upside than previous options, but it's still makes WAY more sense, IMO to bring in proven shooters rather than hope for large improvement from guys that were below average.

Problem: "We're bad at shooting!" Solution: "Let's bring in more bad shooters and get them to shoot better!".......sorry, my faith is lacking.