Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

15 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Is anyone worried that were only targeting like 12 guys again this year and we need to land half of them to fill the 6 spots? If we fill all 6 which I'm told is unlikely. 

Also, I wonder if it is an IU thing that we have all the players we're interested in making a visit before having them commit. Other programs are getting commitments right now without a kid ever visiting. But at IU we always set up a visit first. I don't need Conwell or Hickman to visit to know that I want them. 

Just my Wednesday morning ponders

No. I think we have identified, or hope, 12 guys that we can take at any point and make work with rotations/mins/money... 

Tier 1 or 2 guys... 

Hope to get 3-4 guys in that group... find your filler pieces later in the process. I mean the kid from Evansville won't be committing anywhere for a bit. Have you leave a spot for him... those types of things. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I'm not going to get into some massive debate on here about the offensive style/whatever.... 

I thought there were MUCH bigger issues as a team and specifically offensively, then the fact we played Malik and Kel'el together so much. 

Thats my opinion. 

We could take this in many different ways. Much bigger issues yeah that starts at the top. Much bigger issues yea the offense in general, but if we're set on playing two bigs which Woodson is then I would agree at least get two good bigs to run out there to clog things up. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No. I think we have identified, or hope, 12 guys that we can take at any point and make work with rotations/mins/money... 

Tier 1 or 2 guys... 

Hope to get 3-4 guys in that group... find your filler pieces later in the process. I mean the kid from Evansville won't be committing anywhere for a bit. Have you leave a spot for him... those types of things. 

That makes sense. It's just the blind faith that we will get things done that is scary

Just now, Chris007 said:

We could take this in many different ways. Much bigger issues yeah that starts at the top. Much bigger issues yea the offense in general, but if we're set on playing two bigs which Woodson is then I would agree at least get two good bigs to run out there to clog things up. 

Yeah, again, I don't think that was the issue lol 

MM's inability to create off the dribble/for others for basically the entire season

XJ's injuries/poor play/stupidity

Leaving a scholly open

Relying on Banks

Relying on Gunn

Cupps not giving us anything offensively

Trey struggling from deep

Those are all a bigger issue then playing our two best players together. But, hey, at Indiana we accept myths as truth. 

20 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Is anyone worried that were only targeting like 12 guys again this year and we need to land half of them to fill the 6 spots? If we fill all 6 which I'm told is unlikely. 

Also, I wonder if it is an IU thing that we have all the players we're interested in making a visit before having them commit. Other programs are getting commitments right now without a kid ever visiting. But at IU we always set up a visit first. I don't need Conwell or Hickman to visit to know that I want them. 

They will probably leave roster spots open, which will allow them to spend the NIL war chest on the top players. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

MM's inability to create off the dribble/for others for basically the entire season

Leaving a scholly open

Relying on Banks

Relying on Gunn

Those are all a bigger issue then playing our two best players together. But, hey, at Indiana we accept myths as truth. 

Thankfully we don't think a like LOL

Just now, Chris007 said:

That makes sense. It's just the blind faith that we will get things done that is scary

It is just hard to wait for 10-12 more days after the confirmed visits to see what the roster is looking like. Let's just say that MM, MR, Cupps, Gallo improve over the summer ... other teams have players that have improved also. Can IU win next year with it's current "base" of "run it back" ... I don't think so. MR is a foul machine, that MIGHT not ever change. I look for MgBako to be a big time player next year. Even if Cupps improves he will not be as good as the guards IU is looking at and has dates set up for visits. What will happen if those confirmed visits commit somewhere else BEFORE they get to Bloomington. THAT would not surprise me.

I have zero confidence things will be better next season. Either they don't get the players they want or if they do get them, they don't change the offense to fit the players they have. Watching guards even from ISU was an eye opener and the offense UCONN ran was a dream come true.

Will either of those happen by next season for IU ?? I won't bet on it.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Summary?

• Our guards were hot garbage, and
  • Our shot selection was turrrrrribble.

And that is on the coaching staff due to roster construction and scheme.

We can solve the roster construction issue via the portal. Jury will be out until November to see if we have solved the scheme issue and cease to be the team that takes the most long twos.

yeah yeah.. I'm not absolving the staff of their responsibility. I'm WAYYYY more pissed about leaving a scholly open then I am how our offense functions. 

I also don't think playing Malik and Kel'el together was the reason we took long 2s. I think that's just the first thing we blame it on, for some reason.

2 minutes ago, IH8PU said:

It is just hard to wait for 10-12 more days after the confirmed visits to see what the roster is looking like. Let's just say that MM, MR, Cupps, Gallo improve over the summer ... other teams have players that have improved also. Can IU win next year with it's current "base" of "run it back" ... I don't think so. MR is a foul machine, that MIGHT not ever change. I look for MgBako to be a big time player next year. Even if Cupps improves he will not be as good as the guards IU is looking at and has dates set up for visits. What will happen if those confirmed visits commit somewhere else BEFORE they get to Bloomington. THAT would not surprise me.

I have zero confidence things will be better next season. Either they don't get the players they want or if they do get them, they don't change the offense to fit the players they have. Watching guards even from ISU was an eye opener and the offense UCONN ran was a dream come true.

The bold improved DRAMATICALLY this past year though, compared to his FR year. 

4 minutes ago, IH8PU said:

1. Gallo is a super-senior. He is what he is, and that is a good but flawed P5 player.
  2. The chances of Cupps and Mgbako improving are quite high - between freshman and sophomore year is by far the likeliest and largest improvement window. And when the co-B1G freshman of the year returns and improves? That's hot stuff.
  3. Underrated take? Myles Rice, a first team All-PAC12 point guard and that conference's freshman of the year, is also likely to markedly improve between his freshman and sophomore years.

38 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Kids committing before visiting are getting the full-court press from the coaching staff and perhaps a great NIL incentive. Woodson got serious for a minute landing Bryson Tucker, they paid the highest dollar amount and got rewarded. But the portal has been open for several weeks now and they still haven't landed anyone.

It's concerning in my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:
  1. Gallo is a super-senior. He is what he is, and that is a good but flawed P5 player.
  2. The chances of Cupps and Mgbako improving are quite high - between freshman and sophomore year is by far the likeliest and largest improvement window. And when the co-B1G freshman of the year returns and improves? That's hot stuff.
  3. Underrated take? Myles Rice, a first team All-PAC12 point guard and that conference's freshman of the year, is also likely to markedly improve between his freshman and sophomore years.

1. Let's don't forget that Gallo will spend some time this summer recouping from surgery.

2. I agree ... I expect to see MgBako to be a monster next year on both sides of the ball.

3. I'd rather count on Rice after he is in Bloomington working out this summer with his new teammates. Until then ????

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

To point 2 Banks, Gunn did not improve but Reneau did. Is that because of the staff or is that because the individual player put in the time to get better?

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Leaving a scholly open

Relying on Banks

Relying on Gunn

I think we’re in the minority but I agree. XJ clearly brought something to the team that no one else did. Him being hurt and out of control hurt, and he isn’t a guy that can bounce back right away without missing a step. 

The staff clearly expected Banks and/or Gunn to make a big step. Woodson said in a few interviews that he told him they couldn’t wait and they needed to make a step. 

MM started the season behind where we expected. He caught on defensively and started to be a threat driving to the basket, but it all happened a little too late. 

Cupps was similar to MM. Early he seemed almost scared to shoot. With XJ being out he kind of got thrown into things sooner than expected. 

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

yeah yeah.. I'm not absolving the staff of their responsibility. I'm WAYYYY more pissed about leaving a scholly open then I am how our offense functions. 

I also don't think playing Malik and Kel'el together was the reason we took long 2s. I think that's just the first thing we blame it on, for some reason.

I think playing them together was part of the reason we took long twos but not THE reason.  (If you don't have two guys down low drawing all the attention, when you get run off the three line you don't take two dribbles in and shoot, you drive to the basket...)

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

To point 2 Banks, Gunn did not improve but Reneau did. Is that because of the staff or is that because the individual player put in the time to get better?

You may have forgotten all the videos from Gunn last summer working out with "his personal coach" in Atlanta. The kid was an All-American in those videos and rarely missed a shot. So between your two choices for him I guess all that is left is "the staff". Banks is a mystery to me but based on his laidback appearance I would ONLY GUESS he didn't spend enough time in the gym. I loved that kid and thought he would do well. Has he picked a new school yet?

Edited by IH8PU
this to last