Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

2023-2024 MBB Big Ten Tournament

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Factually, IU is tied for 6th. So are Iowa and Michigan State.  If Michigan Stats doesn’t win tomorrow it’s possible that all three are out.  And honestly, that would be fair.  

That said, I think if MSU loses the NCAA is still putting them in….undeservedly IMO.

I don't know much it'd be cuz of Izzo as much as their NET being so high and it may make them have to re-evaluate their darling metric.

I'm told that Dr. Rink once again missed the plane to Minny they will either get him tonight or have him fly out in the morning. Think from what I was told his wife is not doing too well. 

51 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Factually, IU is tied for 6th. So are Iowa and Michigan State.  If Michigan Stats doesn’t win tomorrow it’s possible that all three are out.  And honestly, that would be fair.  

That said, I think if MSU loses the NCAA is still putting them in….undeservedly IMO.

Well if you're not first, you're last.   :)  

None of them are any good.  

48 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

I don't know much it'd be cuz of Izzo as much as their NET being so high and it may make them have to re-evaluate their darling metric.

They would get in because of the neutral court win over Baylor and home wins against 3 other tourney quality teams plus they lucked out and scheduled ISU as a buy game and they are a possible tourney quality team.   They have a SOS of 18 and non con sos of 39.   If they get in it won’t be because of their NET number it will be because of what they did on the team sheet 

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

They would get in because of the neutral court win over Baylor and home wins against 3 other tourney quality teams plus they lucked out and scheduled ISU as a buy game and they are a possible tourney quality team.   They have a SOS of 18 and non con sos of 39.   If they get in it won’t be because of their NET number it will be because of what they did on the team sheet 

Spartys Ken Pom and BPI number of 19 is better then their NET number 

I’ve always been an admirer of Pikiell, but, man, did he lose this team. They’ve been looking for the bus for, what, 2-3 weeks. 

11 minutes ago, Demo said:

I’ve always been an admirer of Pikiell, but, man, did he lose this team. They’ve been looking for the bus for, what, 2-3 weeks. 

I couldn’t take too much of that game. 1) because it’s bad, and 2) because I kept thinking “how the heck are these guys out recruiting us.” 

14 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Yeah, everybody who produces predictive ratings/rankings uses the same base formula with a few variations here and there as to how they use the data.  While everybody can pick certain teams where they don't agree with their ranking, they all really do a good job of predicting winners of games.

15 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Yeah, everybody who produces predictive ratings/rankings uses the same base formula with a few variations here and there as to how they use the data.  While everybody can pick certain teams where they don't agree with their ranking, they all really do a good job of predicting winners of games.

At least results based metrics have them 50 for SOR and 41 for KPI 

39 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Not sure how much you like it, but Torvik’s “similar resume” tool showed all teams that got at-larges too.

42 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Ratings systems don't heavily weigh wins and losses. Efficiency over all. It's kinda wild. Michigan State got lucky with ISU, but also got lucky that James Madison was actually good.

44 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I couldn’t take too much of that game. 1) because it’s bad, and 2) because I kept thinking “how the heck are these guys out recruiting us.” 

Because we don't recruit anymore. 

Michigan's McDaniel feeds Tschetter with a beautiful 30-foot bounce pass on a fast break. 

Tschetter catches the ball just beyond the 3-point line, goes to the bucket and dunks. 

Only problem -- he forgot to dribble. 

Was sorta comical to see. Feel bad for McDaniel -- that was a really sweet pass. 

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Michigan will not beat Penn State, and will score very few points while losing.

I can go to bed at halftime? I can’t stay up late two nights in a row.