Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

1 minute ago, KathywithaC said:

That’s the difference between your company and a University. You have the authority to make decisions for your sales group or the guys who work on your department, and that’s typical. IU has always done things a little differently. I get the frustration, but it’s a process that’s helped come to the right decision, too. 

What "right decision"? Do you mean like hiring an unqualified friend of the BoT chair to coach the men's basketball team? Yeah, that's a fabulous process.

1 minute ago, AZ Hoosier said:

What "right decision"? Like hiring an unqualified friend of the BoT chair to coach the men's basketball team? Yeah, that's a fabulous process.

Did you think Tom Crean should’ve been retained?

2 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

How come Purdue can do it and IU can't figure it out? 

If you'll respond to me (pretty please with a cherry on top KathywithaC)

Look up the names Leon Birtnett, Fred Akers, Jim Colletto, Danny Hope and Darrell Hazell and see if you think Purdue can “figure it out”?

Just now, AZ Hoosier said:

Compared to where we are today, absolutely... but not at the time... 

You think Crean’s last season was any better than where we are today? In hindsight, you think his retention would’ve made sense? Interesting view. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

Look up the names Leon Birtnett, Fred Akers, Jim Colletto, Danny Hope and Darrell Hazell and see if you think Purdue can “figure it out”?

All of whom they were able to move on from relatively quickly once the AD decided it was time without interference from non-AD actors? Yeah seems like they've got it figured out more than we do. Certainly better results in basketball and football. Anyhow I know you don't care to chat with me so thanks for the response, I will leave you be.

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

So the process is a success when we fire a coach chosen by the same process?

The process, whether a one person effort or a group project, is only as good as the person / people making the decision(s). Really capable people not only know what they know, they also know what they don’t know. We haven’t been good at that for a long time.

1 minute ago, KathywithaC said:

You think Crean’s last season was any better than where we are today? In hindsight, you think his retention would’ve made sense? Interesting view. Thanks.

Crean was manic... and he had his quirks, but at least he had a plan... Woodson should never have been hired (it was a "payback" because Glass refused to consider him - a gift from Buckner)... but there's a whole thread that extols the virtues of having Woodson as a coach and his obvious shortcomings... so no need to derail this thread with that...

At least Crean could recruit...

9 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

That’s the difference between your company and a University. You have the authority to make decisions for your sales group or the guys who work in your department, and that’s typical. IU has always done things a little differently. I get the frustration, but it’s a process that’s helped come to the right decision, too. 

You’re basically saying Dolson doesn’t have the authority and must get permission from “the elders.”   

3 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

There are no commitments for the incoming class, that shouldn't be ignored.

Personally, Crean should've been fired sooner.

Just now, KathywithaC said:

The process, whether a one person effort or a group project, is only as good as the person / people making the decision(s). Really capable people not only know what they know, they also know what they don’t know. We haven’t been good at that for a long time.

So how does this pertain to the hire and retention of Woodson? Who "knew" or "didn't know"? The obvious reason for "ruling by committee" is that it's impossible to hold an individual accountable for a bad decision... remember, a giraffe is a horse built by a committee.

2 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

All of whom they were able to move on from relatively quickly once the AD decided it was time without interference from non-AD actors? Yeah seems like they've got it figured out more than we do. Certainly better results in basketball and football. Anyhow I know you don't care to chat with me so thanks for the response, I will leave you be.

Relatively quickly? Your Purdue friends might disagree with that. You also noticed I didn’t mention Joe Tiller. There’s a reason for that, and it underscores that their process isn’t much different than ours if you know how he came to be their coach. When you hear the phrase “too many cooks in the kitchen”, think of how many schools do this.

3 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Crean was manic... and he had his quirks, but at least he had a plan... Woodson should never have been hired (it was a "payback" because Glass refused to consider him - a gift from Buckner)... but there's a whole thread that extols the virtues of having Woodson as a coach and his obvious shortcomings... so no need to derail this thread with that...

At least Crean could recruit...

Crean had plan A, B, C, all the way through Z. He'd get a recruit even if they'd never seen a basketball.

4 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

It would seem like with the intelligent people making decisions that they would educate themselves in the areas that they don’t know before they make certain decisions

16 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

That’s the difference between your company and a University. You have the authority to make decisions for your sales group or the guys who work in your department, and that’s typical. IU has always done things a little differently. I get the frustration, but it’s a process that’s helped come to the right decision, too. 

When it comes to basketball, IU has made wrong decisions every single step of the way dating all the way back to firing Bob Knight. 

3 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

There are no commitments for the incoming class, that shouldn't be ignored.

Personally, Crean should've been fired sooner.

He won the regular season Big 10 the year before - he should’ve been fired then?

Just now, KNOBYDOX said:

It would seem like with the intelligent people making decisions that they would educate themselves in the areas that they don’t know before they make certain decisions

You’d think, right?

2 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

Relatively quickly? Your Purdue friends might disagree with that. You also noticed I didn’t mention Joe Tiller. There’s a reason for that, and it underscores that their process isn’t much different than ours if you know how he came to be their coach. When you hear the phrase “too many cooks in the kitchen”, think of how many schools do this.

Another poster on the board said this recently in another thread, which is consistent with what you're saying. And what everyone is saying, I think. Would love your thoughts. 

On 3/7/2024 at 3:00 PM, AH1971 said:

I didn't feel like typing this last night, but I don't have a busy day today and figure I'd share an encounter I had a few weeks ago with someone who I feel is qualified to say what they had to say.

So a few weeks ago I ran into Mike Berghoff at a Pacers game. For those who don't know, Mike is head of the Board of Trustees at Purdue. Mike and I go way back. Lived in the same neighborhood for many years and attended the same parish/school where some of our kids ran in the same circles. Hadn't seen him in awhile but small talk quickly turned into a conversation about IU/PU and the direction of both programs. After about 30 seconds of rambling on about Woodson he politely cut me off and said this:

"The problem isn't Woodson, look at your leadership. Look at who has been running your athletic department the last 10-15 years. Fred Glass? He's a lawyer. Scott Dolson? He's a fundraising guy. Who qualifications do either of those guys have in evaluating and conducting a coaching search?"

Of course I couldn't disagree with him and he went even further. Went on tell me that after being appointed chairman, his first big athletic task was naming a successor to Morgan Burke who had just announced his retirement. He said he along with the rest of the board, Mitch Daniels, and a small advisory group consisting of former Purdue athletes identified 5-6 candidates. He said the one qualification each candidate must possess was prior experience as an AD (shocking). Said Mike Bobinski was easily the most impressive interview despite not being the most qualified candidate and that was with Mike Bobinski already holding the title of AD at two other universities. He said only one time in nearly 10 years has Mike Bobinski come to him for permission to do something and that was firing Darrell Hazell mid-season. He simply said, "can't believe you didn't ask me sooner". He went on to tell me that during the search for Hazzell's replacement he gave 2 order to Bobinski:

1) This is your budget

2) Use your head

He wanted no part of stepping on Bobinski's toes because at the end of the day that was why they hired Bobinski in the first place. 

Just thought it was interesting to hear a perspective from a rival school from someone so close to the situation. Just goes to show how dysfunctional the leadership at Indiana has gotten.