Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, codesbane said:

I just don't think you can fire him now without causing too much damage,

What damage? You keep saying that but haven’t identified what mysterious damage comes from booting a coach for poor performance? 

The typical “damage” cited is the loss of recruits. As of last night, we literally can’t lose any more recruits. So what damage?

5 minutes ago, str8baller said:

What damage? You keep saying that but haven’t identified what mysterious damage comes from booting a coach for poor performance? 

The typical “damage” cited is the loss of recruits. As of last night, we literally can’t lose any more recruits. So what damage?

We could argue the damage has already been done. No commitments and no foundation to speak of.

Say whatever you want about Woody but the optics of this are horrible for the program.  
It will used heavily against him by other coaches in recruiting.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Tropiiix said:

Ok slow down. #1+2 bolded is a gross over-reaction. We sucked, Woodson got hired, we made the tournament 2 times in a row. I'm assuming you mean not recruiting, Ware was the #2 ranked portal player last year!! Yes, the guard situation needed more done to shore it up, but I doubt nothing was attempted. 

#3 bolded is a fine point and I understand that is your opinion, but in my opinion firing Woodson would give an image of total instability and lower our brand even further in the mind of recruits and parents. He HAS to retire. I'd be thrilled if he retired after this season but I'm telling you. Firing him now will do more harm then good.

If you think he's doing his job visavis recruiting, you're smoking something.  And it ain't woody's cigars. 

13 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Sorry, I thought I posted what damage I thought would be caused.  I was talking about the long term damage caused by panic buying a coach without doing the work on our end to really evaluate our program's needs.  I also talked about the potential lack of interest from power conference coaches if it appears we fired him on a whim.

Those are what I see as the risks

1 hour ago, Tropiiix said:

Ok I agree. Push like hell for retirement after this season. If the answer is no, you say ok retire after next year. If the answer is still no then yeah you probably have to fire him assuming next year doesn't go well. but then the firing is at least more justified.

"More Justified?"  Hire slow.  Fire fast my friend.  

7 minutes ago, str8baller said:

The stock answer is the damage is the "narrative" that Indiana doesn't give its coaches enough time to get rolling.

Which is BS-

Mike Davis-- no explanation needed

Crean- He got 8 years.  He had 3 good/great years out of 6 with a 2 year leeway that no one counts.  He got a lot of time to know what to expect from him-  The georgia job reinforces moving on as the right decision

Archie-Give me a break.  He got 4 years and it was always awful.

Woody-honestly is the most complicated one.  If Woody had age and momentum on his side it would be a no brainer of a decision to have him back.  There would be almost zero question.  However he doesn't have age and surely doesn't have momentum on his side so what is the real advantage of re-building with a guy on borrowed time vs re-building with the next guy assuming we can line up a home run guy.

If anything- Sampson was the biggest debacle of a move.  Should have given him an extenstion!

2 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

You're NGW using a different handle aren't you 

Speaking of different handles,I may need one.My all time favorite player but wow!I wish we hadn't hired Woody because he's a year younger than me and believe me the energy level just ain't there.When I was a younger man I hustled like hell but I'm lazy as f@#k now and most guys I know my age are also.I just never saw the logic in the hire but hoped for the best.

I'm dead serious about the name change if it's possible.What do I need to do?

3 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Then you take the blackeye and fire him. He steered the ship into an iceberg, don't make the mistake of thinking he'll save it.

He’s not saving it.  Their all too busy making the fans out to be the scapegoat of this debacle 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

UCONN was on their 3rd coach in 8 years. 

But I am also not sure why that's relevant. No, you move on from Woodson now. 

51 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Bill Guthridge (left in 2000), Matt Doherty (fired in 2003), then Roy Williams hired.

44 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Same with UK. Smith-Gillespie-Cal all in 4 years

We better not fire Woodson and have 3 coaches in 5 years. No way you can recover from that. These 3 schools are still trying to recover. Wait, all of those schools won an NCAA championship? Impossible! They were mean and didn't give a bad coach enough time.

The # of coaches in # of years is stupid anyways. IU had 2 coaches in 2 years with Knight and Davis. IU had 2 coaches in 35 years with Knight and Davis. IU had 5 coaches in 10 years with Knight, Davis, Sampson, Dakich, and Crean.

2 hours ago, codesbane said:

I'm sure the guards were lining up to come to IU when we are returning a 6 year point guard and a 4th year wing who shot 40+ percent from deep.  Do you even consider that or are you just assuming Woodson was sitting there doing nothing?

I didn’t say he was doing nothing but leaving scholarship open when we needed a shooter makes it appear he did nothing.  He only seemed to concentrate on the higher rated guards and when he struck out, he stopped.  There were shooting guards out there that may have given their left n*t to play at IU.  Lance Jones was a lower rated guard but as far as I know, Woodson didn’t even try to recruit him.  We have gotten hear by him trying to put all of his eggs in one basket, hence 0 commitments for 2024.

33 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Not sure what more damage could be done ... having Mediocre Mike at the helm has "damage" at an all-time high.

No recruits, no plan, no clue... that's the Woodson Way.

6 hours ago, Tropiiix said:

While I agree Woodson doesn’t understand the current climate of CBB, I don’t think we will lose everyone on the current roster next year. I think maybe 2-4 guys transfer out, there will be at least 3 transfers in, and we have another middle of the pack year next year. Woody then retires and we start fresh. We are Indiana University. Too big to fail. 

That's the mindset that has us where we've been the last 30 years. We aren't too big to fail because we're already there. Acting like we're something special when we aren't? Please. The only thing setting us apart right now is being the only high major with zero 2024 recruits and a coach who treats NIL like a pot of gold he can use to by himself wins. 

2 hours ago, Tropiiix said:

What truly "big time" program is on their third coach in 5 years like we would be

This is such a sketchy way of framing the math.

Year 1 - Coach 1 is fired. For all we know, they’re ending an illustrious 20 year career. New coach is hired.

Year 4 - Second coach is fired after 3 bad seasons. 
Year 5 - Third coach starts.

That is NOT some sort of massive churn. That is cutting bait on one bad decision in a reasonable time frame.