Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Truthhurts

The Case for Josh Schertz

1 minute ago, JF87 said:

Please! Please! Stop with the Beard to IU talk.  It is not going to happen.  He is a great basketball coach, no doubt about it.  But IU is a university first and will not and should not consider a coach that allegedly hit and choked his girlfriend.  She may have recanted, but the University of Texas felt there was enough evidence to move on from him.  There's no reason for IU to hire someone with this baggage. The reputation of the university is more important and it should be that way.  

I'm sorry JF87 but I can't stop. Charges were dropped by the DA. We can agree to disagree but Beard is 1A for me - WINNER

Just now, realTomCrean said:

I'm sorry JF87 but I can't stop. Charges were dropped by the DA. We can agree to disagree but Beard is 1A for me - WINNER

Sadly, his potential drinking problem may be more of a red flag than the girlfriend thing.  If he legit has a drinking problem I doubt we go that route (especially after Wilson).  Can we hire a BtownBanners sponsored PI to investigate?

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

They way his peers and other coaches describe him.   The fact the he went to other coaches early in his career to learn from them and use their stuff to become successful at the D2 level.    Adapting to the change of how basketball his played and try something totally different then what was making him successful and become even more successful at the D2 level.    Bringing that to the D1 level at Indiana St which is probably the hardest job in the Valley and flipping that program in year 2 to win 23 games for the first time in awhile and now in year 3 having a top 25 NET team with a top 15 offense is very impressive to me.   Doesn’t mean it will work at a high major but every step of the way he finds a way to he a winner.    There is an article on the Athletic about him that is really good and recommended reading 

Just read that article on this recommendation. It is good and has a real old school SI feature quality to it. Since I’m sucker, I’m in! Lol. 

On a more serious note, what you described is the profile of the type of coach we should be going after. Guys that go places and transform them or completely elevated them.  He’s not the only one and plenty of them crap out on the big stage, but an astute AD that knows the game can mitigate some risk going after those candidates.  

I posted about it in the college basketball thread, but I thought his team played smart and tough down the stretch with him making some solid calls from the sideline.   Personally, I would want to know a lot more before making the call for him, but the beauty of being a fan is that is not my job. Unfortunately their online schedule shows only two games (the next 2) remaining on tv—ESPN+.  

Also, fwiw, since it was mentioned in the article, him and Dusty May are friends and apparently have a ton of respect for each other. 

LMU was a dumpster fire of a program when he took it over. It took him very little time to make them a national name in D2 ball. ISU, while not quite dumpster fire-level, has a LOT of obstacles to overcome in that athletic department. He took basically zero time overcoming them and has an entire city eating out of the palm of his hand. If that university wasn't so inept, they might keep him another year or two, but with his AD being forced to resign and the president who made that decision in the same boat, he has nothing keeping him in town, so he'll almost certainly be off the board this year.

He'll go make someone very happy. I don't think it'll be us, but don't be surprised if a decade from now people are on IU boards complaining about how we had that guy an hour down the road and blew another hire.

18 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

From the ISU website introducing him as coach

"I've known Josh now for several years and I've always been impressed with how hard his teams have played and competed. He has a proven track record of success as a Head Coach. Josh possesses a  combination of being an excellent tactician and recruiter. I look forward to following his continued success at Indiana State."
Chris Holtmann, Head Men's Basketball Coach - The Ohio State University

"Josh Schertz is a program builder. He's a tireless worker who knows how to create a foundation and recruit to a culture. Perhaps more importantly, he's an even better person than he is coach. He's followed a similar path to me - building a DII powerhouse and making a jump to DI. Just like Milwaukee took a chance on me, Indiana State is giving Josh his opportunity, and I'm certain he won't disappoint."
Bruce Pearl, Head Men's Basketball Coach - Auburn

"In hiring Josh Schertz, Indiana State has hired a coach who will lead with unparalleled character, elite level knowledge of the game, and work habits.  He is someone who is able to connect with and develop young men to be great players and people.  Josh teaches the game in a truly unique way which has led to his rarely seen success.  I learn from him each time I watch his team play and admire his ability to prepare and innovate.  John Wooden once said "The most powerful leadership tool you have is your own example."  In Josh Schertz becoming the head coach at Indiana State, the Sycamores have added a person who truly embodies leading by example."
Sean Sweeney, Assistant Coach - Detroit Pistons

Indiana State has hired as hard-working a coach as there is in college basketball in Josh Schertz. He is the total package - an incredible work ethic, terrific floor coach and a proven evaluator and recruiter. From the staff to the players, his leadership inspires others to operate at the highest level they can both on and off the court. I'm excited to see the new heights the Sycamores will reach with him at the helm.
Eddie Fogler, Former Head Men's Basketball Coach - Wichita State, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina

"Josh has an incredible track record and is highly regarded in the industry. He's an outside the box hire in a sense; the guy can coach and develop talent and those are two attributes that will help him get Indiana State to the next level."
Jeff Goodman, Basketball Insider - Stadium

"Winning is synonymous with Josh Schertz. Remarkably he has won over 83% of his games, which is one of the highest winning percentages in the history of college basketball. His teams have made their mark on the court and made the grade in the classroom. He can recruit. He can develop talent. He can coach. It's about time he got the opportunity to run a Division I program."
Angela Lento, CollegeInsider.com

Nothing against Schertz -- because he's growing on me -- but in all fairness, you can probably find similar lauditory comments contained in just about any school's press release after a coach is hired.  

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

He'll go make someone very happy. I don't think it'll be us, but don't be surprised if a decade from now people are on IU boards complaining about how we had that guy an hour down the road and blew another hire.

Probably, because we are reactionaries. I’ll say this though: I could see a scenario where they don’t win the conf tourney and get screwed by the committee or they make it but get seeded poorly and just get beat in the first round.  

On that resume, it’d still be a tough sell for the Ohio States and Lvilles of the world, too. I could see him taking a lesser job. Doing fine for a year, IU keeps woody a year, and we make a move on him a la Illinois and Underwood.  

Maybe for once, the timing works out for us even if it doesn’t seem like it initially.  

6 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Nothing against Schertz -- because he's growing on me -- but in all fairness, you can probably find similar comments contained in just about any school's press release about the hiring of a coach.  

Where I am as well. There's a lot to like about him, but he's unproven at this level - it would be taking a risk, there's really no way around recognizing that.

8 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Probably, because we are reactionaries. I’ll say this though: I could see a scenario where they don’t win the conf tourney and get screwed by the committee or they make it but get seeded poorly and just get beat in the first round.  

On that resume, it’d still be a tough sell for the Ohio States and Lvilles of the world, too. I could see him taking a lesser job. Doing fine for a year, IU keeps woody a year, and we make a move on him a la Illinois and Underwood.  

Maybe for once, the timing works out for us even if it doesn’t seem like it initially.  

The committee's road to screwing them gets harder by the day, but yeah I don't think your scenario is crazy at all. That seems pretty plausible especially if his 1-year stop is anywhere but Depaul, unless of course he just packs up his current roster and moves them to Chicago with a few portal additions.

39 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

He's definitely on the top of my list of "other candidates" if IU isn't going to make a serious hire. Could do worse than a Schertz but it's definitely not the home run, momentum hire this program desperately needs. 

That’s where I’d have him too. IU can (and did) do worse. Unfortunately we’re likely swimming in the mid major pool of coaches, so might as well pick whoever the best one is.

Schertz has proven he can coach championship level offense. You need a top 25 kenpom offense and defense to win a title. He’s at 11 on offense and 82 or something last time i checked. For me Schertz>May. I think with better athletes the defense is improved. Robbie Avila is awesome but idk how much rim protection he’s providing and swopes is undersized. I’ve also seen him play his starters the entire second half in multiple games when they had to pull out a win. He’s turned around two programs now. Kids are going to love playing in his offense. I would be perfectly happy with Schertz as our coach since i doubt we get one of the big names. Also he can use the transfer portal. Three out of the five starters were transfers and have been much better since joining ISU. Only took him two years to rebuild. With our resources I’d expect him to be great.