Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

5 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Guess you don't know what gaslighting is (see what I did there?). I kinda would love to see a grown adult tell me, to my face, to pipe down. Woody brought every bit of the ill will on himself. His arrogance and lack of results rubbed people the wrong way, they spoke up and Woody acted like a petulant child. Just calling it like I see it

And voicing your displeasure after a bad season is one thing, hell I did it plenty, but actively rooting for the team to lose and making up nonsense rumors to the detriment of the team is another. Hope you understand the difference. 

1 hour ago, mamasa said:

Guess you don't know what gaslighting is (see what I did there?). I kinda would love to see a grown adult tell me, to my face, to pipe down. Woody brought every bit of the ill will on himself. His arrogance and lack of results rubbed people the wrong way, they spoke up and Woody acted like a petulant child. Just calling it like I see it

Exactly!  I would say Woody gaslit this thread, lol!

4 hours ago, AH1971 said:

He openly campaigned for IU to lose out in this very thread over 1000 pages back. He's a phony.

That is not a fan, I would never want IU to lose a game. He probably thought IU going to the championship game in 2002 was a bad thing because it kept Davis longer.

15 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

That is not a fan, I would never want IU to lose a game. He probably thought IU going to the championship game in 2002 was a bad thing because it kept Davis longer.

I'd be shocked if that poster had any recollection of the 2002 season, perhaps not even out of diapers at the time. 

19 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I wish I was a mod for a day. I would only use that day to sneak here in the wee hours, change the title to 'Extend Coach Woodson 4 Lyfe', wait with my morning beer....er, coffee, and watch the fireworks. 

The revolving title change is one of the better running jokes on this board...well of course other than this thread itself. 

To me the difference between tanking for a draft pick and wanting a coach to be fired is that there is no guarantee the coach will be fired. It is obvious now that Woodson's job was never in jeopardy. No matter what some rumors were I don't think it would have mattered what his record was last year he wasn't going to be fired.

For me I couldn't care less what the coaches personality is as long as he wins and doesn't embarrass the program off the court. I don't buy anyone saying they want Woodson fired because they don't like him as a person. If they were 25-6 last year and made the elite 8 nobody would care what his personality was.  I wanted him fired for the results on the court and not how he acted.

I never went into any game last year hoping we would lose and was happy with a loss. If I wanted us to lose then I wouldn't have been so upset after losses.

Not that this hasn’t been super interesting, reading the same roughly 15 thoughts restated for 1100 pages, but I am genuinely curious about 1 thing and if it’s been discussed in any depth I must have blown by it.

If you’re in or sympathetic to the camp of “I want this team to underachieve so Woody goes away for the long-term good of the program”,  a defensible position, here’s my question: Do you have a Rubicon moment and if so, what is it, where you cry uncle or just get caught up and root for this team’s success? Example: Say this team competes for the B1G title down to the last weekend, gets a top 4 tourney seed and gets to the sweet 16. That’s comfortably within range of outcome. If so, Woody ain’t gettin’ fired. He’s just not. Are you the rooting for them in the Sweet Sixteen? How about the Elite 8? Doesn’t matter, is there a point when you’re rooting for them or have you made the judgement that you’re simply not rooting for this program while that guy’s here, regardless of success? 

5 hours ago, AH1971 said:

He openly campaigned for IU to lose out in this very thread over 1000 pages back. He's a phony.

Lmao piss off. You’re not the arbiter of IU fanhood. 

You can’t sit there and argue with a straight face that Tom Allen winning a couple more games last year to save his job would’ve been the best thing for the IU football program. Yet according to you, I’m a phony for rooting for those losses. 

Instant gratification isn’t always the best thing. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You can’t sit there and argue with a straight face that Tom Allen winning a couple more games last year to save his job would’ve been the best thing for the IU football program. Yet according to you, I’m a phony for rooting for those losses. 

Wanted Tom Allen gone 2 years ago, never once rooted for IU to lose. And I attended almost 80% of the home games. 

Sounds like you need a new hobby if rooting for your "team" to win is such a chore.

I am always rooting for the kids to win and have as much success as possible. Coaches are also a work in progress and so when I’m watching a game, I am usually always hoping for the coaching staff to be learning and growing as coaches so that maybe even a bad program can turn the corner.  I was always pulling for Allen to make that leap or get it figured out because, I’m a fan.

If I were his boss, I would have all the behind-the-scenes variables to calculate a decision whether he should be gone or stay with him, but that’s what makes me just a fan.

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Yeah I'm in the camp that says when you know a new coach is needed then you don't root for wins, all that can do is delay the inevitable, especially as poorly run as this program has been.

A new coach is needed. He's not getting carried to an Elite 8 or anything; I've said it before an "I did my job" banner is the only banner Woodson would ever put in the rafters.

3 hours ago, Demo said:

Not that this hasn’t been super interesting, reading the same roughly 15 thoughts restated for 1100 pages, but I am genuinely curious about 1 thing and if it’s been discussed in any depth I must have blown by it.

If you’re in or sympathetic to the camp of “I want this team to underachieve so Woody goes away for the long-term good of the program”,  a defensible position, here’s my question: Do you have a Rubicon moment and if so, what is it, where you cry uncle or just get caught up and root for this team’s success? Example: Say this team competes for the B1G title down to the last weekend, gets a top 4 tourney seed and gets to the sweet 16. That’s comfortably within range of outcome. If so, Woody ain’t gettin’ fired. He’s just not. Are you the rooting for them in the Sweet Sixteen? How about the Elite 8? Doesn’t matter, is there a point when you’re rooting for them or have you made the judgement that you’re simply not rooting for this program while that guy’s here, regardless of success? 

My take on this, as someone who doesn't actively root against the team but understands why one would, is that you'd probably go into every game thinking you're okay with either outcome. If we win, cool. If we lose, ultimately, one step closer to finding the right coach to take us where we all want to go (winning championships). I'd think it's one way of keeping yourself from being too invested in a product you don't believe in/coach you don't trust. I think you can definitely root for the team and players without supporting the coach. 

I don't think there is necessarily a Rubicon moment at all, because somebody who takes the approach of actively rooting against the team, would likely believe any success the team has this year is in spite of Woody, not because of Woody. If they go on a great run to finish the year, I think everyone would be happy about that. Some would remain skeptical that the success is sustainable/replicable. He would certainly get another year to prove whether he can achieve all he set out to do here.

45 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

My take on this, as someone who doesn't actively root against the team but understands why one would, is that you'd probably go into every game thinking you're okay with either outcome. If we win, cool. If we lose, ultimately, one step closer to finding the right coach to take us where we all want to go (winning championships). I'd think it's one way of keeping yourself from being too invested in a product you don't believe in/coach you don't trust. I think you can definitely root for the team and players without supporting the coach. 

I don't think there is necessarily a Rubicon moment at all, because somebody who takes the approach of actively rooting against the team, would likely believe any success the team has this year is in spite of Woody, not because of Woody. If they go on a great run to finish the year, I think everyone would be happy about that. Some would remain skeptical that the success is sustainable/replicable. He would certainly get another year to prove whether he can achieve all he set out to do here.

The thing is if or when a change is made it will just start all over again with fans. Unless you can get Stevens then any coach you bring in won't be a sure thing. If all of these hires the last few years shows us you will not be bringing in an elite level coach who is a sure thing.