Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, BlueDevil said:

Mike has probably assembled a staff of yes men and anyone who challenges the status quo is sent packing

That unfortunately doesn't shock me. Kenya is a little surprising to me because he was on Hurley's staff before here so I would assume he's gotta know something to be on the best coach in college bball's staff. 

1 minute ago, Unexpectedflash said:

I would be curious if any of the younger assistants asked him to adjust the system. Unless we have a staff full of dummies, which is possible someone has to have noticed. 

Would he listen? There were several games where CC and Walsh looked visibly disgusted lol. I know CC is not a coach per se, but it would seem like if anybody could get in Woody's ear it would be him. There were some subtle changes during the late win streak, whether they were permanent remains to be seen and personnel for next year. I have said before do not be shocked if he lands a high level center. When he does, the question of offensive scheme is pretty much answered IMO.

5 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I would be concerned about a skeleton in the closet if Iowa won't come up with $300k for a 5th year of Perkins.  

Iowa's NIL is shot in men's basketball. I've heard from a little birdie that Fran is encouraging older plays with a year of eligibility to get out of Dodge while they can. The sh*t Fran and his players get from that fan base is crazy.

22 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

If no one wants to play in Mike's crappy offense why doesn't he change it lol. Does this man watch no basketball to see that the game is no longer played in the post?

Just to play devil's advocate though - doesn't Purdue getting to a Final 4 put that belief to bed?

Edey touches the ball every possession and either shoots it or passes it back out after getting double teamed in the post. 

At the end of the day, you just need a really good team.

16 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Just to play devil's advocate though - doesn't Purdue getting to a Final 4 put that belief to bed?

Edey touches the ball every possession and either shoots it or passes it back out after getting double teamed in the post. 

Edey is once in a generation college player so sure. But purdue also leads the country in 3 pt percentage. This purdue team is different because they have guards that can actually do something. They also get fouled at an insane rate. So if you give me all of that then sure it can work 

6 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Purdue is one of the top three-point shooting teams in college basketball.  They do play inside out, but they also run action to get shooters open without Edey being involved.  

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Back to firing Mike Woodson. Don't be surprised when we don't use all of the 13 scholarships again this year. We will probably be out of money by scholarship 11 if not then by 12.

I think we're finding out again this year that no guards want to come play in this offense. 

Eric seemed annoyed when he posted that they wouldn’t use all the schollys last night.   You could tell he didn’t agree with it.  He did say if they feel in love with someone at 13 then they would use it 

12 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Edey is once in a generation college players so sure. But purdue also leads the country in 3 pt percentage. This purdue team is different because they have guards that can actually do something. They also get fouled at an insane rate. So if you give me all of that then sure it can work 

Totally agree. I'm just thinking maybe Woodson watches that, and thinks he can build a team like theirs.

(He can't).

I’m not panicking yet from a transfer portal perspective. I’m sure the staff with the money they have are doing their due diligence to get the best guys they can get. It makes sense. That’s what I want them to do. Taking Walker early, might be a bird in the hand scenario but if that is the best we can do in the guard department we’ve got bigger problems.

Style and tempo remain a concern for me no matter who we get, but us not having transfer portal guys doesn’t bother me at all. Actually, I’m motivated we might get something better eventually.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

3 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

Maybe it would be wise instead of spreading the money around. Consolidate and offer big money to two or three guards?

Actually it would have been better if Woodson had gone out and recruited players instead of relying on Uncle Cook and Uncle Simons to buy him a team that the could coach into the ground. But, obviously, that ship has sailed.

Giving Leal money for promoting the "true fan" crap is an abomination. Woodson has gone from "renting talent" to flat out buying propaganda. 

2 hours ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Seems a little odd we haven't landed one transfer yet given our money situation and minutes available. I know it is still "early" but there are plenty of good players who could help our roster at the guard position. 

We're waiting until the entire roster of the national champions enters the portal then getting them all.

1 hour ago, IUrocker said:

Seeing PU make the FF makes me want this guy gone even more. Makes me sick and I’m choosing to blame Woodson for them making it that far haha. I like Matt Painter, good coach and I appreciate his class, so I’m happy for them, but their alumni and fans are a joke. Instead of being happy about their own accomplishments, the PU fans I know take their time to mention “IU sucks” instead. Its pathetic.
It shouldn’t have had to come to this for Woodson to realize we need better guard play and more shooters. Now at this point the good ones are smart enough to not want to play for him unless his buddies throw enough cash at them. Some say maybe PU winning the title will wake up the administration enough to make big changes. Shouldn’t have needed that much to wake them up, and it’s frustrating as heck. 

I expect them to beat NC State and next Monday we will be within a bad UConn game of the final cherry on top of this bad year...really this bad couple decades.  If they win a title then all 5 of ours are officially ancient history.  Them in the F4 is already bad enough.

There is no big name coming in after Woodson.  This is going to be a complete reclamation project.

2 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

Didn't someone post a few pages back that only about 30 guys have committed who entered the portal? Maybe it was in the transfer portal thread. 

Not yet time to be concerned. After the games this weekend, there may be more guys entering. Iowa State for one just had some guys enter.

It's ALWAYS time to be concerned with Mediocre Mike leading the charge. Fire his @$$ today.