Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

12 minutes ago, maxwell said:

Not sure this applies to Leal, but I listened and watched player comments from another program recently and it sounds like many players are encouraged more and more by coaching staffs to ignore any "outside negative noise" if it exists. So based on his comments he is not silencing outside chatter.  I'm thankful and proud of him and others on this IU team to continue to grow and execute through the adversity during the last five games.

Meh.. we are a fanbase that ADORED when Bob Knight gave someone the business. I'm fine Leal's words. 

2 hours ago, theriverpilot said:

I think Woodson's biggest challenge in the upcoming portal season will be replacing Ware and his productivity.  

Over the past 5 games (5 game win streak), Ware has averaged a double-double per game (21.6 pts and 12.6 reb).  Going back through 11 games (I'm lazy and got tired of counting), he's still averaged a double-double with 18.6 pts and 10.8 rebs per game.  His poorest outing through that stretch was the OSU game where he only produced 6 points and 1 rebound.  

It's obviously not Woodson's only challenge since he'll be portal-dependant, but that could be a make or break for him if he fails to replace that kind of production.  

And please check my math. I suck at math.  

Absolutely. Early in the season IU would've lost those close games to bad teams without Ware. He's made a big impact all year, with only a few bad games.

13 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

How about this:

"Adversity is a part of sports.  And we as a team have to fight through it.  Guys like X are doing everything he can to fight thru his injuries and get back on the court to make a contribution.  I see him everyday in the training room and he's put together with athletic tape and ice.  Coach Woodson has us united and going in the right direction with 4 straight wins.  Guys like Ware are playing out of their mind.  There is no other coach . . . There is no other university that I would like to represent.  It's time for the greatest fans in college basketball to jump on board the bus and help us get to the promised land."  

Orrrrr... WE just say, "we'll take note Anthony" and move on? 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Would it have been different for you if he had also said the quiet part out loud? “You guys need to chill, but please don’t stop buying from my NIL store and making sure I make money.” 

Again, I don’t personally care too much and after some reflection I can almost appreciate his loyalty to Woody whether or not I think it’s misguided. I am just trying to point out that there is a level of hypocrisy in his comments, and that’s probably what annoyed most people. 

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Did he legalize NIL? 

This makes no sense. 

Do you know why he is getting a big NIL? Because of the fans.

For me, personally, it was the tone, and what he said. Yeah, I'm sure Woodson's comments contributed.

I have been a fan of this program since the early 80's. Luckily, I got to see some really good basketball. For the last 20 years though, this program has been totally mismanaged. But all along, it has stayed relevant. Do you know why? Because of the fans. I didn't hear anyone telling the fans to chill out when they were filling Assembly Hall in Crean's first two years when they hardly won a game. The fans have endured this sh*t show when the vast majority of programs would have been left for dead years ago. That is because of these fans who need to chill out.

'24 was a critical recruiting year and what do we have to show for it? If anyone can look at the trajectory of this program and say with a straight face that the needle is pointing up, they are as blind as the administration that continues to mismanage it. So for me, having someone act like the fans are supposed to sit idly by and watch this play out again and again, yeah, I take exception to what he said.

Pretty soon though, I'm afraid he will get his wish and the fans will chill out. 

1 minute ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Would it have been different for you if he had also said the quiet part out loud? “You guys need to chill, but please don’t stop buying from my NIL store and making sure I make money.” 

Again, I don’t personally care too much and after some reflection I can almost appreciate his loyalty to Woody whether or not I think it’s misguided. I am just trying to point out that there is a level of hypocrisy in his comments, and that’s probably what annoyed most people. 

So AL is indebted to the fans? lol 

I see no hypocrisy. 

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Problem is, as an untrue fan I have.  I am numb to these guys.  Last night should have been an exciting game.  I should have been up and down off the couch the last 2 min, yelling screaming, jumping, etc. (Yes I'm freaking nuts).  Instead I was just sitting there, watching -- ok, lets see what they do.  When Leal made his play, I said good for him.  2 freaking weeks ago I would have been streaking thru the neighborhood and fired up for tonight.  I don't know if I can get it back this season.  

2 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

For me, it would have hit home a little more if it had come from someone who hadn't sat on the end of the bench for the last 3 and a half years. 

Maybe spend a little more time working on your game and less time worrying about what people are saying about your coach. 

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

Problem is, as an untrue fan I have.  I am numb to these guys.  Last night should have been an exciting game.  I should have been up and down off the couch the last 2 min, yelling screaming, jumping, etc. (Yes I'm freaking nuts).  Instead I was just sitting there, watching -- ok, lets see what they do.  When Leal made his play, I said good for him.  2 freaking weeks ago I would have been streaking thru the neighborhood and fired up for tonight.  I don't know if I can get it back this season.  

you need to get your mojo back :92:

2 minutes ago, bigrod said:

This makes no sense. 

Do you know why he is getting a big NIL? Because of the fans.

For me, personally, it was the tone, and what he said. Yeah, I'm sure Woodson's comments contributed.

I have been a fan of this program since the early 80's. Luckily, I got to see some really good basketball. For the last 20 years though, this program has been totally mismanaged. But all along, it has stayed relevant. Do you know why? Because of the fans. I didn't hear anyone telling the fans to chill out when they were filling Assembly Hall in Crean's first two years when they hardly won a game. The fans have endured this sh*t show when the vast majority of programs would have been left for dead years ago. That is because of these fans who need to chill out.

'24 was a critical recruiting year and what do we have to show for it? If anyone can look at the trajectory of this program and say with a straight face that the needle is pointing up, they are as blind as the administration that continues to mismanage it. So for me, having someone act like the fans are supposed to sit idly by and watch this play out again and again, yeah, I take exception to what he said.

Pretty soon though, I'm afraid he will get his wish and the fans will chill out. 

You are soft if AL's words bothered you/you are CERTAINLY soft if 120 hours AFTER the fact, they're still bothering you. Not sure what else to tell you. 

So much of this post has nothing to do with what we're discussing. 

That's great be frustrated, be mad, tout your fandom... just don't see how as an adult, it would bother AL saying what he did. I hate to tell you this, but his experiences are vastly different than ours. 

Just now, Golfman25 said:

Not sure I see the problem. Sports are hard? 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

So AL is indebted to the fans? lol 

I see no hypocrisy. 

Indebted? No. Does his success have a direct correlation to them? Yes. He averaged 0.0 points the season he went Uber viral for being able to pay off his sisters loans. That doesn’t happen at a place with “chill” fans. So it comes with the reward. 

That aside, it also didn’t happen in a vacuum, and my guess is Woodys comments spotlighted Leals making people more sensitive— because I agree generally they were pretty mild and Really didn’t bother me much. But I can see where they would.

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

For me, it would have hit home a little more if it had come from someone who hadn't sat on the end of the bench for the last 3 and a half years. 

Maybe spend a little more time working on your game and less time worrying about what people are saying about your coach. 

That was why when all this happened I said Gallo I really didn’t care about. Talk all you want. 

6 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

Basically I don't give a **** what Leal, Gallo or Woodson said. "us against them" to get them to play harder. Some of you need to understand for us older "fans", we saw what great basketball was with only a season or two since those times. But it's the IU they wanted back in 2000 although most if not all decision makers are gone ... the thing is ... it doesn't matter ... the $$$$$ still come rolling in year after year in the Millions. Obviously NIL support is not a problem either.

So sit back, enjoy the game as just a game of basketball ... I mean most college teams play all the same BS ... it's just a matter who can make plays, such as NC State last night against Duke. There is a lot that goes into successful teams but every year changes. Ask Kansas what they think their year has been like this year, what a drop in that team.

Just like life, recruiting, coaching changes ... it's all a crapshoot.

My hounds and English bulldog are always chill ... 

We have an 11 year old English bulldog.  All he does now is sleep (snoring of course) and fart.  He even shuffles his feet like an old man.  Had no idea there would be that much hair and slobber when we got him.

1 hour ago, Artie86 said:

I love Malik's motor and ability, but IMO he comes across as a bit selfish at times. I mean, when he gets the ball at the low post anywhere near the basket, 9 times out of 10 his head is down and going to the hole. Team know this and prepare to dbbl and triple team him. When he begins to turn/pivot towards the basket he sometimes, lazily brings his hands down/through slower and that is where he get in trouble....

I will you can’t be the man until you want to be the man.  And he does finish pretty well around the rim, just needs to work on not turning it over and not letting the ball stick.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Honestly there’s nothing wrong with this statement— I think some are taking it out of context or too personally. 

I think people took it more personal because it followed Woodson’s speech.  Fans were already pissed before Leal started.  If only the players had spoken, probably not any kind of big deal.

26 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I had to look that up. That might be correct

When one has to look up definitions one should copy and paste so other (like myself) don't have to look up said words.  It's only the right thing to do you rabble rouser LOL.

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

rab·ble-rous·er
/ˈrabəlˌrouzər/
noun

1. a person who speaks with the intention of inflaming the emotions of a crowd of people, typically for political reasons.

'