Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Archie Miller Assessment Thread

3 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

I would rather someone with a long term plan be paying these players...players 8-11 at IU should not be making 6 figures to do nothing. Sorry.

They are being paid for their loyalty, as witnessed in their Junior/Senior Day speeches. You just need to chill. /s

7 minutes ago, jumpshot53 said:

Is anyone going to enroll their young ones in Mgbako and Ware's basketball camp in April in Bloomington? 

Fire/retire Woody.  Keeping on subject.

Wish I could send one of mine, but not this year. Their other school activities have really hit the bank account hard this year. 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I'm trying to set my mind up for the worst which he is here till the end of next year but if I get some good news before then great. 

I've tried that multiple times on hundreds of things over my lifetime. I still end up disappointed (or even despondent) more often than not. :D 

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I'll get some pushback from many of you for this: Free-market determining the value of players is a reasonable, dare I say "good" thing.

Doubt this is "free market economy" in the case of Leal. He might start on a mid-major team. No way anything approaching $150K for him has anything to do with the market. Just free money, being paid for his loyalty to Mediocre Mike.

3 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

Wish I could send one of mine, but not this year. Their other school activities have really hit the bank account hard this year. 

I know what you mean.  Sports, music, camps are expensive.  It would be a thrill to see Ware in person for most little kids.  How often will they ever see anyone that tall?

Fire/retire Woody

So, in a small sample size of the 10 IU fans that live around me, I made the comment that if Woodson doesn’t get the players to compete for a Big10 title next year (not win, be in the hunt I said), he better be gone. That was met with a bunch of them telling me my expectations were too high.
That is what we are dealing with now. Too many fans who have had the bar lowered so much that simply making the tourney is good enough. This isn’t the 80s anymore, I’m told. 
Apathy, not anger, is the worst thing that can happen to a program. And that’s where too many fans are. 

Remember it took two wins in the btt to slip into the last four in game in 2022 before getting blown out by st Mary's. It was celebrated and if you questioned the blowout you told they were too tired from playing too many games in 7 days. You can't make this stuff up. The expectations now are laughable.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Well that'd be real mature.

Have you honestly seen anything resembling "maturity" out of this guy (aside from physical age) since he came back as our designated savior?

Doubt this is "free market economy" in the case of Leal. He might start on a mid-major team. No way anything approaching $150K for him has anything to do with the market. Just free money, being paid for his loyalty to Mediocre Mike.
That whole senior day was a total setup. Woodson darn well knew they were coming back they had already told Leal he was getting a 300% raise. Leal isn't staying without that raise imo.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, jumpshot53 said:

Is anyone going to enroll their young ones in Mgbako and Ware's basketball camp in April in Bloomington? 

Fire/retire Woody.  Keeping on subject.

I would check on it first, I've heard it's been sold out for a while now. They's had signs up at Assembly Hall for it all season

12 minutes ago, jumpshot53 said:

I know what you mean.  Sports, music, camps are expensive.  It would be a thrill to see Ware in person for most little kids.  How often will they ever see anyone that tall?

Fire/retire Woody

H3ll I want to meet Ware, lol!

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It is when you are the ones somewhat involved in filling the pockets.

If I know Company A charges a premium for a poor product so that they can overpay their staff, that will eventually send me to another company....

Part of the talk for pro teams every year comes down to salary.  Semi-pro athletes in college are going to have to get used to fans pocket watching them like any other professional player would.  If they feel you are overpaid for your results, it is going to be a topic of discussion.

Agree. And I'd suggest that if they know player A is getting $500K, they expect player A to put out $500K-worth of effort. The fans know when players are going through the motions and when they are leaving it all on the floor, and knowing what a player is making (or at least having a good idea of the pay range) will dictate how harshly a player is judged by the fans.

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would check on it first, I've heard it's been sold out for a while now. They's had signs up at Assembly Hall for it all season

I only saw it today.  I was hoping it was something new because Mgbako was coming back.  Oh well,  I hope the kids enjoy it.

Fire/retire Woody

https://x.com/hoosiersconnect/status/1770072983656357925?s=61&t=zhQkeoeyPUyIgZFDw6eHZQ

I suspect it’s just the mindset I’m in right now, but the last line really rubbed me the wrong way. “Hoosier Nation always has your back” has a certain “True Fans” ring to it.

I legitimately believe this fan base is going to be permanently fractured if nothing happens before next season. Who knows, maybe that’s a good thing, because I am definitely DONE being told how to be a good fan while we wait for our participation ribbons.

2 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

They are supposed to be "endorsement' deals, Independent of the university.  It really is a slush fund given to the coach to hand out to players he deems worthy.  It will all come crashing down in a few years.    

It needs to come crashing down quickly. The courts have clipped the NCAA's wings with NIL thanks to the Virginia and Tennessee suits, and it appears that the NCAA has backed away and made it an actual free-for-all, anything goes situation. If college athletics isn't already destroyed beyond fixing, it will be shortly.