Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

That would be the exact type thing that started this whole s*** show, listening to players and allowing them to hold us hostage. 

It got us six years of Mike Davis.

2 hours ago, JF87 said:

The previous posts about "bridging the gap" piqued my interest in what Dolson said at the introductory press conference for Woodson.  Three items stuck out to me. 

1. Dolson and staff created a vision document for IU basketball's future prior to hiring Mike Woodson.  I would love to see that document.  I doubt that we are anywhere close to that vision today. 
  2. Dolson commented that NBA people said that Woodson was an X's and O's guy.  Dolson discussed Woodson using a 1 in, 4 out offense.  In hindsight, I think some people blew smoke up Dolson's a$$.  
  3. Dolson mentioned that when Woodson was coach of the Knicks that he had a partnership with Knick's executive Glen Grunwald that Woodson used to bounce ideas off of. Dolson was not going to have the time to dedicate to Woodson, so this is why Matta was hired.  I assume this is also why Randy Wittman was hired as a consultant. My guess is the GM role to lessen Woodson's workload is coming to IU soon. 

The GM role will fail epically. One of two types of people will be hired for that job:

1. A Woodson guy. This would be a Wittman, Zeke, Kitchel, Grunwald type who would tell Woodson exactly what he wants to hear

2. A true GM type. This is the person that Woodson will completely ignore from day one.

4 minutes ago, hoosierhoo said:

https://x.com/hoosiersconnect/status/1770072983656357925?s=61&t=zhQkeoeyPUyIgZFDw6eHZQ

I suspect it’s just the mindset I’m in right now, but the last line really rubbed me the wrong way. “Hoosier Nation always has your back” has a certain “True Fans” ring to it.

I legitimately believe this fan base is going to be permanently fractured if nothing happens before next season. Who knows, maybe that’s a good thing, because I am definitely DONE being told how to be a good fan while we wait for our participation ribbons.

I noticed almost every player so far has tweeted that out and said Grateful.

It's like they got a text saying it was being sent out and you better acknowledge it. Bend down and kiss the ring

3 minutes ago, mjeze106 said:

I took History of Video Games with Ben Allen and Cem Dinc. Also a great class

Love that. Wonder if that is still a class. Might try to get my son to take that. 

54 minutes ago, Josh said:

You guys are making me feel like a grade A moron for not taking History of Rock & Roll instead.  My buddies took it, but I wanted to actually learn something useful so I took Bass Fishing Techniques.  I felt very proud of my decision to better myself.

So I went to the class with my head held high the first day and the teacher never showed.  Second class same thing.  Third class the AI was there.  She asked "why are you guys taking this class?"  We answered about wanting to be better at fishing, improving our minds, etc.  She said "bullshyte.  You're taking it because it's an easy A.  Let me tell you why I'm teaching it.  I'm teaching it because I have lowest seniority in this department.  So don't give me problems, and I'll give you A's"

For the final exam, she gave us all articles that she snipped out of magazines and told us to write one page papers on them.

So I learned nothing.  I've repressed my regrets until today.  Now the trauma has resurfaced.

Thanks jerks.

I thought Bass Fishing Techniques class was for developing your best lying story on "I caught a fish this big..."

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

The value is up to those millionaires. If they don’t think they’re getting value the $$ will dry up.

Apparently that is not currently the case.

Nah.  For those guys it’s just a **** measuring contest.  

22 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

Doubt this is "free market economy" in the case of Leal. He might start on a mid-major team. No way anything approaching $150K for him has anything to do with the market. Just free money, being paid for his loyalty to Mediocre Mike.

Free market value is not purely based on operational performance. Not in business and not in this instance with Anthony Leal. He is a great locker room and practice guy, an academic role model, a local kid, and he's someone who knows and can help reinforce the system.

His value is exponentially more at IU than at other programs.

He is like the thirty year accountant at the firm that always shows up on time, mentors the new hires, always reinforces positive work culture, and has tons of local industry connections that really value him. When that happens that accountant doesn't need to be god's gift to financial spreadsheets.

2 hours ago, realTomCrean said:

Let me preface by saying that I'm not off the Fire Woodson wagon..

If IU lands Javon Small and a talented center (or Ware's Return) then IU will be top 25 good next season. Javon Small, the savior of IUBB!

So if we get a "big guy" named "Small", will Woodson's head explode?

Maybe Woodson wanted that last $100K for cigars and wine.
Woodson doesn't pay for no stinking cigars and booze. His bag money donors buy all that so they can sit around with him and her stories from 45 years ago.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

It needs to come crashing down quickly. The courts have clipped the NCAA's wings with NIL thanks to the Virginia and Tennessee suits, and it appears that the NCAA has backed away and made it an actual free-for-all, anything goes situation. If college athletics isn't already destroyed beyond fixing, it will be shortly.
When a guy like Leal gets 150k to sit on the end of th bench its already been destroyed

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

I understand that Scott Dolson may or may not have final say on whether Woodson stays. I know there are forces at play that extend beyond his authority to control. Money talks and I know that. Yet (and I might be too critical here, point taken if so), I am incredibly underwhelmed at the complete lack of visible leadership shown by the athletic director at the flagship university for the state of Indiana. By my count, Scott Dolson has answered questions for the media in a public setting exactly one time since December of 2022. That occurred at Curt Cignetti's introductory press conference. 

I know his hands will be tied by what he can or cannot say but nonetheless, I think it is ineffectual leadership and the complete lack of public answering to the fans about anything related to IU athletics from the athletic director is very poor. He may be a patsy in all of this but I don't think he's doing much of anything to help the situation.

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

We should fire Mike Woodson for not letting everyone know what the best class at IU was. 

Woodson invented these classes while at IU.  

26 minutes ago, hoosierhoo said:

https://x.com/hoosiersconnect/status/1770072983656357925?s=61&t=zhQkeoeyPUyIgZFDw6eHZQ

I suspect it’s just the mindset I’m in right now, but the last line really rubbed me the wrong way. “Hoosier Nation always has your back” has a certain “True Fans” ring to it.

I legitimately believe this fan base is going to be permanently fractured if nothing happens before next season. Who knows, maybe that’s a good thing, because I am definitely DONE being told how to be a good fan while we wait for our participation ribbons.

No matter what happens, or how bad it gets, there is no way (zero chance) the fan base will be permanently fractured if someone comes in at some point and starts winning in a big way.

A Final Four etc would bring back the “Ill never watch or support IU again” crowd.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

If true that Banks and Gunn will transfer then I'm even madder at Woody for getting them run against Nebraska.  He should have given minutes to those that are going to stay

Woody was long gone by the time those 2 got in