Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

49 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

If the assembly call guys are to be believed Woodson did not utilize or seek out any knowledge from Matta when he was here. So the whole argument of getting new assistants means nothing. He isn't going to listen to anyone except his nba buddies who were all horrible coaches.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

I wonder how that will play in Dolson’s decision.  He brought him and fife in to help and they where ignored.  If I'm Dolson, you just sealed your fate buddy.  

32 minutes ago, KYHoosier said:

It also silences the noise around the speculation of who our next HC would be. Say the rumors are true that we are targeting Bruce Pearl, if Dolson announces that Woody is gone at the end of the year, then the rumors would get out of control and may be a huge distraction for the rest of Auburn's season or whoever we may be targeting. By Dolson saying the plan is to bring Woodson back, it allows him to back channel coaches and negotiate contracts discreetly. To me, this is was it currently going on now. 

To be clear, I don’t think Dolson has said either.  

6 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I get it but I have thought all along you had to let more of the season play out.  I doubt a decision has been made and think Dolson has been leaning towards a decision but does not have enough information to make that.  If he had decided to keep Woody then we will need the vote of confidence thing soon or Woody won’t be able to really add any valuable recruits 

Kind of hard to add recruits when you can't be bothered to be on the recruiting trail.

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Trilly updated his Coaching Carousel earlier today.

Mike Woodson (Indiana)

A late addition to this list – after being safe for most of the year the heat is on in Bloomington. Woodson has made the tournament the last two seasons, but finds himself in real jeopardy of not getting a fourth year at IU.

That’s a quote from the article posted earlier.  

1 hour ago, Hornsby said:

If the assembly call guys are to be believed Woodson did not utilize or seek out any knowledge from Matta when he was here. So the whole argument of getting new assistants means nothing. He isn't going to listen to anyone except his nba buddies who were all horrible coaches.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

I think many of us suspected that was the case.

I don't think you can force an assistant (ambassador, director, whatever) on a coach and expect him to heed any advice.  When Woodson was hired, the structure sounded promising but was a flop.

1 hour ago, BlueDevil said:

The part I don't understand with some people is everyone was ecstatic with the Cignetti hire but some of those same people are saying Bruce Pearl is too old. They are only like a year apart in age.

Expectations are different for the two programs. Any semblance of success is a win for football. 

But also, everyone loves a new hire. Nobody knows if Cig will succeed. They just want him too. 

2 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Saw on the other site that Trilly said Dolson met with some notable former players today and their message to him was that they want Woodson gone.

Woah, this is an interesting tidbit if true. I might have to sign up for the discord 

I think many of us suspected that was the case.
I don't think you can force an assistant (ambassador, director, whatever) on a coach and expect him to heed any advice.  When Woodson was hired, the structure sounded promising but was a flop.

Woodson made it a flop (along with his college coaching career) by ignoring the help. Hopefully the self-anointed “smartest man in the room” will soon be unemployed.

I will be the skeptic/devil's advocate on this, not to be a wet blanket... 

Curious to me how Trilly could know what was said at Dolson's meeting... and how meaningful is their input? We've seen some notable alumni say they're ready to move on during podcasts and what not, so without seeing what Trilly actually said, how much of a leap is it for him to make a logical assumption that this was voiced? I'm assuming this was a regularly scheduled meeting, as was the one with Woodson... 

I'm trying not to get too hopeful but the wind certainly seems to be blowing in the right direction

I fully expect Woodson back and hold some reservations about the rumors of sending out feelers. Right now though the message will be that they plan to bring him back, they'll say that until they have a replacement.

If I'm a donor and Dolson came to me for Woodson's buyout after we just paid to send Allen packing then I'm expecting a splash hire, not Dusty May. Granted if I'm a donor and Miller is replaced with a 60+ that's never coached college then I'm already not happy.

3 hours ago, BannerVille said:

Except if 2 or 3 happen to be true, that alone is grounds for termination.  The stated purpose of his tenure was to stabilize the program and put it on solid ground for the future.  Those statements are all about him.

If #2 is true, he’d be doing a disservice to whoever the next coach is. And how exactly would he position his recruiting pitch? “ I’m not sure who the next coach will be, or if you’d fit in, but come to IU and hopefully it works out for you.”

If #3 is true, I thought the goal was to win games. That should be his objective. Everything else would have to work itself out. And there’s no reason he couldn’t get some guys with more than 1 year of eligibility if he needs to address the continuity issue.

As I’ve said, I’m not sure where I stand regarding CMW’s future. But I am willing to let the rest of this season play out before sounding the death knell.

Lots of folks throwing the f* word around and not willing to be patient and let the process play out.

* fire

4 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Some are saying it's the best podcast ever.

But, in seriousness: I never went on one as I try to keep a low-profile and I'm still getting a lot better at secrets than I used to be. 

Mike and Bob have very good, analytical minds for basketball.

Obviously we didn't get into the "current IU coach" thing for obvious reasons: it wasn't the point of the episode. 

But, many (not myself) will have a chance to discuss this in-length as IU's season comes to an end in about 12 days' time. 

In my only other post here (FEB 16), I said all of the coaches expected to be back and so did Woodson. 

I'm always the first to admit when I'm wrong and things change... 

The guys who run this website do a good job and don't need anyone to piggy-back what they are saying, Nice work. Go Hoosiers! -Sam

Thanks for coming by Sam. Appreciate you. Can’t wait to hear what you have to say when the season is over.