Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

My last complaints and then I’m done for a while and cool off is… IU is on the verge of a rebuild. Most likely bringing in atleast 5 new guys. You don’t fire a 67 year old coach okay whatever… But will have to get a new coach most likely within the next 5 years anyways because he’ll probably retire by then. 

Also do we even want a new coaching search done with this current regime now? If IU goes 18-14 next year and makes the NIT… Do we want most of the administrators to help make this decision? Who is to say they don’t make this kind of coaching decision again.

Wish I could say that I'm surprised by this news but it kinda felt like they were always going to give him that 4th year, unfortunately. Will certainly be interesting to see which players decide to transfer out/go NBA. It's hard to imagine that this could actually get much worse depending on the turnover. Does anybody in charge believe that Woody will be able to coach that many new faces to a successful season based on anything we've seen thus far? Hell he already uses the "this is a new team" excuse enough.

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

How can you be mad?  It’s literally IU’s m.o. I guessed this months ago. I don’t know if Kathy is legit or not but what she says matches what you see from the outside if you view it with a critical eye.  

IU, including Dolson, simply aren’t as smart or equipped as other top programs. It’s very simple: when it comes to athletics IU is one of the worst programs around.  Said results will follow. 

I’ve seen this for thirty years. If there is any comfort I think more people are starting to wake up that the administration is inept and corrupt. 

40 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

While I agree, we should’ve simply communicated that to him in a clear, unambiguous way. We didn’t. It was the second time that avoidance tactic was used during a short period of time, and it wasn’t a good look at all. Embarrassing, unnecessary, shoddy.

I’m not as anti-Fred Glass as many on here but it seems clear he was miserable at some revenue sport stuff:

-Allen era brought IU some great football moments but the search that made him HC was poor in totally self-inflicted, confusing ways

-the 2013(?) Crean extension was, again, an unforced error

-my hunch is the Crean era was somewhat hamstrung by Glass being less than sold thereafter

-Archie didn’t turn out, and while he wasn’t my pick, I think he was at least somewhat defensible…however, Glass didn’t seem to learn from it; if I recall correctly he said on the ITH podcast after he retired and Arch was gone that he’d do it all over again.

-then there’s this, which I’ve heard before and checks out — there’s some old Woj tweet about Woodson’s interest in the job. It’s become somewhat popular to overstate Woody’s lack of qualifications but a younger Woody might’ve been a different story (and almost certainly would’ve been an improvement over what we got from Arch).

31 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

“Pushing for the ouster” isn’t accurate, in my opinion based on what I know. That’s not a shot at anyone else here, but I think it greatly overstates his views and actions based on what I have been told. He’s not a “keep him and don’t even think about letting him go” guy, but he wasn’t leaving packing boxes outside of Woody’s office either, and wasn’t about to do battle with Buckner by planting stories in the media and pushing QB into an inescapable corner.

Can we assume that Dolson was doing background work on possible candidates if the season spiraled out of control? 

1 minute ago, Banksyrules said:

I’ve seen this for thirty years. If there is any comfort I think more people are starting to wake up that the administration is inept and corrupt. 

We see in 30 years what other programs see in 3!  

I get why Knight is/was so revered. I always thought IU was special in and of itself. But apparently we’re basically Minnesota without him. I knew that, but I get my hopes up every time. Hope springs eternal!

28 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Quinn was given him 4 years ever since Woody got his feelings hurt he didn’t get the job when Archie did.

We now know what we had already assumed.  It was never about an IU guy.  It was always about giving the job to Woodson, period. 

Not sure what’s more believable; the fact we only attempted a single 3 pointer during an entire half of basketball or the fact that we’re winning despite attempting a single 3 pointer during an entire half.

14 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I’m not as anti-Fred Glass as many on here but it seems clear he was miserable at some revenue sport stuff:

-Allen era brought IU some great football moments but the search that made him HC was poor in totally self-inflicted, confusing ways

-the 2013(?) Crean extension was, again, an unforced error

-my hunch is the Crean era was somewhat hamstrung by Glass being less than sold thereafter

-Archie didn’t turn out, and while he wasn’t my pick, I think he was at least somewhat defensible…however, Glass didn’t seem to learn from it; if I recall correctly he said on the ITH podcast after he retired and Arch was gone that he’d do it all over again.

-then there’s this, which I’ve heard before and checks out — there’s some old Woj tweet about Woodson’s interest in the job. It’s become somewhat popular to overstate Woody’s lack of qualifications but a younger Woody might’ve been a different story (and almost certainly would’ve been an improvement over what we got from Arch).

Obviously, we'll never know but I disagree that a younger Woodson would have been better than Archie. Woodson has NIL to pull in top recruits.  Without NIL, Woodson's recruiting would be atrocious.