Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

I find it funny that we didn't see any of the Woodson's haters during the spring and summer when we were getting all the transfers in. They weren't here when Tucker committed or when a lot of the players decided to come back. They come out the first sign of a problem 

You definitely are calling the kettle black!  You have no room to talk!  Most of us have been posting on and off all summer but there really hasn’t been any exciting news to discuss other than Sisley committing and possible new offense, oh and Mgbako growing an inch!!!!

2 hours ago, Scotty R said:

I find it funny that we didn't see any of the Woodson's haters during the spring and summer when we were getting all the transfers in. They weren't here when Tucker committed or when a lot of the players decided to come back. They come out the first sign of a problem 

The quality of that IU East education shining through once again.

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

I was wanting a change after last year but it didn't happen so I will be rooting for a great season.  I just feel there are a vocal minority who I feel would rather us fail because of their hatred for Woodson 

I’m pretty certain we all want IU to succeed wildly.

i think many of have seen enough from Woody to believe this won’t happen or at least not consistently with woody. Therefore, a decent, not horrible, not great year is the worst case scenario and in my opinion that is what I believe we will see.

Top half of the bigten but not competing for nor winning it, maybe 13-7. Not winning the bigten tourney and getting a 4-8 seed in the tourney and winning 1 or 2 games. I believe we should do much better than that given the talent of our roster but I have no expectations they do better because of woody.

if my prediction is correct it is worst case scenario because we didn’t accomplish much and yet won’t be fired. 

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

i think many of have seen enough from Woody to believe this won’t happen or at least not consistently with woody. Therefore, a decent, not horrible, not great year is the worst case scenario and in my opinion that is what I believe we will see.

Top half of the bigten but not competing for nor winning it, maybe 13-7. Not winning the bigten tourney and getting a 4-8 seed in the tourney and winning 1 or 2 games. I believe we should do much better than that given the talent of our roster but I have no expectations they do better because of woody.

if my prediction is correct it is worst case scenario because we didn’t accomplish much and yet won’t be fired. 

I agree that if Woodson doesn't succeed this year a change needs to be made. At least for me I am hoping he succeeds and we have a great year.

Just now, Scotty R said:

I agree that if Woodson doesn't succeed this year a change needs to be made. At least for me I am hoping he succeeds and we have a great year.

Great, agreed!

but I think he will do just enough to retain his job and that sucks if so. 28 wins or more is great and he should be applauded, less than 24 is fireable… I have us winnning 25 and will be disappointing yet not fireable and we will be stuck in pergatory until Mike Woodson wants to leave

3 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Great, agreed!

but I think he will do just enough to retain his job and that sucks if so. 28 wins or more is great and he should be applauded, less than 24 is fireable… I have us winnning 25 and will be disappointing yet not fireable and we will be stuck in pergatory until Mike Woodson wants to leave

That’s exactly what Woodson said.  Does that clear it up and make sense!  Remember when he said but may not be exactly like this:  “Mike Woodson will leave when Mike Woodson is ready to leave”, basically eluding to he’s never getting fired!

9 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Great, agreed!

That. Would. Suck.

38 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

For me you can stop assessing in the B1G. Top half would be major underachievement with this roster — our new point guard alone should have a lot to say about that. March Madness is generally a crapshoot and largely about matchups. This team should make the SW16, at least, but if Woodson’s coaching sucks so badly that this team underperforms in the B1G, that will then of course result in the lower NCAA seed then causing a more difficult tournament run and probably an earlier exit.

Woodson needs to show he can coach a balanced offense, so the team can more likely finish conference play closer to its ceiling than its floor. If that happens we’ll have the better record we all want and March will take care of itself 

3 hours ago, Scotty R said:

Yeah, he bought himself a fine crop with the Cook's and Simons' money. Now he has to coach them. And clearly buying in the portal is his forte. HS recruiting, not so much... especially the long game.

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

Great, agreed!

So to you 25-6 would be disappointing? LOL

10 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Yeah, he bought himself a fine crop with the Cook's and Simons' money. Now he has to coach them. And clearly buying in the portal is his forte. HS recruiting, not so much... especially the long game.

Why do the people who hate Woodson bring up buying players when everyone is doing the same thing. You act like this is a bad thing

15 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Why do the people who hate Woodson bring up buying players when everyone is doing the same thing. You act like this is a bad thing

Because a team full of mercenaries who just come to IU because it offers the most money isn’t what some of us want from IU? But it’s the only option given Woodson’s laziness. Most coaches work their butts off 52 weeks a year while Woodson sits back and just throws his billionaire buddies’ cash at recruits for a couple weeks during the portal season. It’s not a style I care to root for. 

Because a team full of mercenaries who just come to IU because it offers the most money isn’t what some of us want from IU? But it’s the only option given Woodson’s laziness. Most coaches work their butts off 52 weeks a year while Woodson sits back and just throws his billionaire buddies’ cash at recruits for a couple weeks during the portal season. It’s not a style I care to root for. 

Gotta start somewhere though. As much as Woody has been mid to me, that’s even more reason you need a big budget to compete. Otherwise we are irrelevant.

The only big time winning coach not spending major bank is Painter.

Oats spends bank and wins. I like his swagger and style. He seems to get the guys he targets. Or at least a lot of them.

Woody’s grandpa type persona could be really appealing as a player’s type coach if he was winning big.

It just seems player’s coaches don’t usually win big.

Anyway, I’m glad we are spending money. Just gotta have the right guys on the bench while spending the money. That’s the formula to win.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Get use to it because that is what college basketball has become. If it was up to me there wouldn't be any portal or NIL and conference realignment but that is where college sports are at. If it were up to me we would  still have 10 teams in the big ten. I have been told for years to stop living in the past but that is what you are doing.

Woodson and the staff worked their @$$ off on this 25 class and have been recruiting them for 3 years. He was the first to offer both Harrelson and Mullins so get your facts straight. We all know you hate Woodson and he will never be able to do anything to change your mind. 

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

We will play for than 31 games… so yes, 25 wins is a failure in my opinion given this roster

for perspective, Purdue has had MORE than 25 wins, so 26+ in 7 of the last 9 seasons

You can only pick the games you know you have and if we go 25-6 that would be a great season. We could go 19-12 but win 6 games in the tournament and that be 25 wins. Would that be a disappointment.

2 hours ago, Scotty R said:

Hired guns to try to prop up Woodson, and save face for hiring (and overpaying) for a "coach" that no one else wanted. The problem with that line of thinking is that Woodson still has to do the coaching - and IMO, it's a pretty tall task for Mikey. 

And even trying to overpay for the talent doesn't guarantee that the recruits will still come (Mullins, Haralson, McNeely, Dickenson, Fland, and the list goes on and on and on.)