Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

31 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

It's actually worthless.  If your only measurement is making the tournament, then yeah Mediocre Mike is in a team picture with a bunch of guys.  If you're concerned more about the processes used to build a foundation and sustain success over multiple years, then Mike gets a gigantic F-.    

That wasn’t the point. He does a great job putting into perspective the history of coaches who were in the same position and the odds of them having long term success. Based on his research it doesn’t look promising .

2 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Mike Woodson played at a high level.  So did Juan Howard. And Chris Mullins.  And Randy Whitman. 

I’m starting to get suspicious of these high level players. 

I was referring to people who would mention it on a forum or use it in an argument. I couldn’t make money on a podcast, but I have zero eligibility remaining in a sport. 

5 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Mike Woodson played at a high level.  So did Juan Howard. And Chris Mullins.  And Randy Whitman. 

I’m starting to get suspicious of these high level players. 

I would say they all played at a high enough level to support a podcast, it was at least high enough to coach. 

1 minute ago, rcbowla said:

1) it was the dude being a jerk to you and others

2) is he named after the rat in ratatouille?

Yes that was the first time we heard that name, then there was a Remy in House of Cards and then Remy Abel showed up at IU.

2 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

That wasn’t the point. He does a great job putting into perspective the history of coaches who were in the same position and the odds of them having long term success. Based on his research it doesn’t look promising .

I believe Mike from X's and Joe's eluded to the same thing based on his similar research with 3rd year coaches.

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yes that was the first time we heard that name, then there was a Remy in House of Cards and then Remy Abel showed up at IU.

Good Disney/Pixar movie. There are a few that I could probably watch without the kids lol.

5 hours ago, lillurk said:

I think the quick answer is something like

1. He got a shot at a blue blood and didn’t get past the S16, and

2. he’s not at an age where he’s a long term upside play.

There’s more too. Mishandled at least one player misconduct situation egregiously, doesn’t move the needle with recruits, so on.

At least when IU hired CMW you could say he had some NBA guys in his corner, league connections would appeal to recruits, he had some theoretical pluses. Alford doesn’t even have that juice.

But he still has proven he’s a better coach and basketball program manager than Woodson is.  I’m am not saying I want him either, but if the choice was to keep Woodson or hire Alford, and that is the only choice, I would hire Alford 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

My dorm team lost in the championship while up 20 points because I shoved the ref and he made us forfeit. Luckily both teams knew we were the champions and had beers together afterwards. Not the ref though.

Indiana University intramural flag football co-ed all-campus champ baby. And the title game was a big ol blowout.

Played wr and cb, wrote the team playbook, and called all plays. It was super-excellent.

Sadly; my finest athletic achievement  :(

4 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

But he still has proven he’s a better coach and basketball program manager than Woodson is.  I’m am not saying I want him either, but if the choice was to keep Woodson or hire Alford, and that is the only choice, I would hire Alford 

Ehhh maybe, I’m not even totally sure of that, given he’d need a new multi year contract. There are other options.

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

https://www.fauowlsnest.com/news/view/men-s-basketball/dusty-may-leads-owls.htm?filter=*%2C!1783%2C!1784%2C&blog=0

Great article about Dusty and Brooks Barnhizer from NW. Written by the great Lynn Houser who my high school & IU for many years.

Worked with Lynn at the HT. He even played a little basketball over at the Y at lunch with us. 

Just now, 8bucks said:

Worked with Lynn at the HT. He even played a little basketball over at the Y at lunch with us. 

Lynn is good dude and I do remember him playing at the Y. Did AT play with you guys at the Y back then?

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Lynn is good dude and I do remember him playing at the Y. Did AT play with you guys at the Y back then?

Never saw AT. That would have been something. Scott May would play some. I remember driving on him once thinking dude I am going to score on Scott May. He clearly fouled me. 

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Doubt anyone would live to tell that story.