Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

5 hours ago, Feathery said:

As a normal person I wouldn’t give either. But say all $6 million in NIL comes from the richest person in Indiana, who has a $6 billion net worth. That’s the same as someone with $100,000 net worth giving $100 to NIL. I know people who spend more than $100 on Girl Scout cookies, because well….thin mints are good. Lol

Could go for a box of thin mints right about now.

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

The chance of getting any good guards significantly decreases if we commit to play two big men…again. Good guards want spacing. They want to push and run out in transition. They want freedom of movement and the ability to make plays for themselves. None of this happens playing two bigs.

It’s bewildering to see the same posters who have complained all season about lack of guard play advocate for getting another elite big. We already have an elite offensive scoring big in Reneau. And he’ll be that much more effective being the only big on the floor. It’s a whole lot tougher for teams to double and dig (aspects where Malik struggles) when you have perimeter firepower. I get it, he’s not a great rebounder or rim protecting, that isn’t the end be all though to constructing a competitive roster.

I don’t think people are advocating for another I bc they want it beyond depth. It’s that they expect it to happen and I believe Rabby said a week ago or so they wanted to get a run protector in the portal. 

5 hours ago, reconmkd said:

Hahaha that is chump change for that cookie pyramid scheme! I owe my 6yo dealer, who lives in my house and my wife leads, for 2 cases of cookies. They got me bad this year and are trying to pry some more money out of me now!

That would be a good NIL deal.

Well if they get desperate enough they could way overpay for one if they wanted. Make a guy an offer they can’t refuse 
Woodsons like a political campaign whom the donors have just given a big check. We will see how quickly he blows and if he is any at managing money or blows it all fast.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

No we don’t. We immediately lower our floor the second we commit to playing two traditional big men. Reneau is not a modern 4 in any sense of the word. He’s a small ball 5 who you can protect with good perimeter defense and guards that can rebound. The less minutes Reneau plays alongside a 5, the better chance this team has. It was painfully obvious watching this team try and play two bigs at all times last year. And the two years before with Trayce and Race. IT DOESN’T WORK. 

With Mike Woodson as the coach yes we do.  Need a top 5 roster to field a borderline top 25 team.  And he will continue to play 2 bigs.  Guaranteed.

9 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Villanova under Jay Wight had a ton of success with quality guards and undersized bigs. 

Houston doesn’t play a single person over 6’8 and Iowa St has one 6’10 kid who comes off the bench. Easily the two best defensive teams in the country. Their guards are elite defenders and rebound exceptionally well.

4 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I don’t think people are advocating for another I bc they want it beyond depth. It’s that they expect it to happen and I believe Rabby said a week ago or so they wanted to get a run protector in the portal. 

Team definitely needs a rim protector in the portal. He doesn’t need to play 30 mpg alongside Reneau however.

I know this is the fire mike thread but won't there potentially be way better players in the portal after ncaa tournament? Maybe we been talking to some elite guards telling them were going to pay huge after their done? Pipe dream?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Odds this staff puts together a top 25 roster for preseason?

7%

Odds this staff finishes the season in the top 25?

1%

And more or less, this is their expectation.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners
Yea that pissed me off when Mike said he didn't want to be sitting here next year not in the tournament! I am like dude I don't just want you in the tournament you better be a top 10 team with a legit chance to win it! Especially if your just trying to buy your team Rather than build it! Da he'll is he talking about

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Team definitely needs a rim protector in the portal. He doesn’t need to play 30 mpg alongside Reneau however.

Those two should not play together but if they do only about 5-7 minutes a game.  If Mgbako comes back, he should be the 4, IMO

30 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

He will basically need three of the top 25 portal guys. Piece of cake for the nba legend.

Has never happened in the portal era.  Best that has been done is 3 players from the top 50.  

1 hour ago, Hornsby said:

MR is a decent player but he is a foul machine. Losing ware is like losing tjd almost. Trying to replace him is going o be an almost impossible task.

But we seem to play faster and better when we only had one big on the floor, the ball didn’t stick

Has never happened in the portal era.  Best that has been done is 3 players from the top 50.  
Correct. He is going to be able to do it

Well if they get desperate enough they could way overpay for one if they wanted. Make a guy an offer they can’t refuse 

After all, it ain’t Woodson’s money.

53 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

No we don’t. We immediately lower our floor the second we commit to playing two traditional big men. Reneau is not a modern 4 in any sense of the word. He’s a small ball 5 who you can protect with good perimeter defense and guards that can rebound. The less minutes Reneau plays alongside a 5, the better chance this team has. It was painfully obvious watching this team try and play two bigs at all times last year. And the two years before with Trayce and Race. IT DOESN’T WORK. 

Exactly, I sort of said that in one of my recent posts above 

3 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Correct. He is going to be able to do it

Of course he is, because if he's anything it's an innovator.  :)  

27 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Houston doesn’t play a single person over 6’8 and Iowa St has one 6’10 kid who comes off the bench. Easily the two best defensive teams in the country. Their guards are elite defenders and rebound exceptionally well.

It’s because “protecting the rim” is cope for bad defensive coaches who don’t know how to keep people out of the lane or teach position basketball. 

You won’t need a rim protector if your defense didn’t allow so many players to get to the rim.