Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

13 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Still waiting for your defense of Mike Woodson as head coach... unless you realize how indefensible that position is, and just choose to ignore my question...

Did you read my post? I said “I don’t know if he’s going to keep his job or not.” Does that sound like I’m defending him? 

My objection is the incessant, and imo over the top bashing of him, or any coach for that matter.. Someone said that I am just looking for ways to defend him.. which I am not. But when it’s insinuated that players are going out to the bars after the games and they are just following Woodson’s example because he was pictured having a glass of wine. That’s not reaching for it?

This thread has gone on for 250 pages of people basically saying the same things, and attaboying each other. Open it up hoping that there is something new to learn. Instead it’s the same guys saying the same stuff. The hump jokes were old on page 2.

9 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm curious: I'm almost certain that the hiring of a basketball coach would have to be approved by the president and BOT. But does Dolson need their approval to terminate one? Since he's the one primarily responsible for the athletic department, can he make that decision unilaterally? 

They'd have to approve the financials I'm certain; esp. if the buyout is a large sum and not something appropriated in the budget. I'm sure Dolson isn't hat in hand if he decides to fire the X-country or crew coach.

20 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm curious: I'm almost certain that the hiring of a basketball coach would have to be approved by the president and BOT. But does Dolson need their approval to terminate one? Since he's the one primarily responsible for the athletic department, can he make that decision unilaterally? 

He may not need their official blessing but Dolson or any other AD would not make such a move without having already had the blessing of the powers that be.  To not have them on your side would be tantamount to career suicide.  And I feel safe in saying this would be the same posture in the corporate world with executives at the highest level.  If you're in that 3rd layer of management below the board and your company's president you simply have to cover your a$$ and know they'll back you on your decision.

11 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Did you read my post? I said “I don’t know if he’s going to keep his job or not.” Does that sound like I’m defending him? 

My objection is the incessant, and imo over the top bashing of him, or any coach for that matter.. Someone said that I am just looking for ways to defend him.. which I am not. But when it’s insinuated that players are going out to the bars after the games and they are just following Woodson’s example because he was pictured having a glass of wine. That’s not reaching for it?

This thread has gone on for 250 pages of people basically saying the same things, and attaboying each other. Open it up hoping that there is something new to learn. Instead it’s the same guys saying the same stuff. The hump jokes were old on page 2.

So, you don't care whether or not Woodson comes back next year, and your "take" is if we're going to "bash" Woodson, we just need a new point of focus? 

As far as the "hump" thing goes, that's Woodson's thing... he used it over and over at the post game pressers as if it's anything definite... the facts are that he can't coach, he can't teach, he can't recruit, he hasn't made any meaningful in-game adjustments, and he can't take ownership (at least until the Northwestern game).

Whether or not Woodson's wine and cigar "get togethers" with his buddies is influencing his players one way or another, I can't say. I've heard some of the rumors about players partying, but I did that or worse when I was in college (45 years ago)... but I can tell you that players tend to emulate the behavior and attitude of their coaches, which has negatively impacted the outcome of some games this year, IMO.

Telling the truth multiple times doesn't make it any less true... 

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

Steven Pearl hasn’t even been named coach in-waiting at Auburn. No chance Pearl takes the IU job under the hypothetical assumption his son gets the job when he calls it quits. 

1) I don’t think Pearl in a million years would want his son’s first HC gig to be at Indiana

2) Pearl worked his way up the hierarchy ladder to get to where he is today; I’m sure he’s had the same conversations with his son who is only 36

Where are people getting this idea that hiring Bruce Pearl comes with the condition of promoting his son once he retires?

Because that is the understanding at Auburn. Once Dad retires, son gets the job. It’s not official, but it’s common knowledge.

Edited by IndyHoops

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

He may not need their official blessing but Dolson or any other AD would not make such a move without having already had the blessing of the powers that be.  To not have them on your side would be tantamount to career suicide.  And I feel safe in saying this would be the same posture in the corporate world with executives at the highest level.  If you're in that 3rd layer of management below the board and your company's president you simply have to cover your a$$ and know they'll back you on your decision.

You may be correct, sir.. but isn't that "blessing" inherent in the position? He's the Athletic Director, and a university vice president over the athletic department... in a non-collegiate environment, would a VP need to run hirings and firings past the chairman of the board or CEO? There are certain duties incumbent in that position, but perhaps not when the potential "fire-ee" is the chairman's friend.

53 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

There was not.

The search settled on Stevens (with no fall-back position)... when Stevens (or his wife) said "NO", Dolson was left without an option and our old buddy Quinn stepped in... the rest is history... so, no, there was no search that selected Woodson... 

Per an article by Bozich after the Miller firing, Steven’s, Rick Pitino and Nate Oates all turned down the job. They then interviewed Woodson and reached out to Matta, who could not pass the physical they requested.

Sure sounds like a search to me.

1 minute ago, steubenhoosier said:

Per an article by Bozich after the Miller firing, Steven’s, Rick Pitino and Nate Oates all turned down the job. They then interviewed Woodson and reached out to Matta, who could not pass the physical they requested.

agree to disagree... 

24 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

In terms of '250 pages of attaboying it'....the number of people who weren't posting in the thread at the beginning but are now speaks volumes.  This is how it was right before Miller was fired.  When those reticent to move on from a coach cross over, that speaks volumes.  I am one of those who avoids those topics for as long as possible but there isn't a path where this ends well.  

3 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

There is absolutely zero chance that IU offered the job to Rick Pitino in 2021. 

3 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Bozich?  Haha.  They would never hire Pitino. 

So, you don't care whether or not Woodson comes back next year, and your "take" is if we're going to "bash" Woodson, we just need a new point of focus? 
As far as the "hump" thing goes, that's Woodson's thing... he used it over and over at the post game pressers as if it's anything definite... the facts are that he can't coach, he can't teach, he can't recruit, he hasn't made any meaningful in-game adjustments, and he can't take ownership (at least until the Northwestern game).
Whether or not Woodson's wine and cigar "get togethers" with his buddies is influencing his players one way or another, I can't say. I've heard some of the rumors about players partying, but I did that or worse when I was in college (45 years ago)... but I can tell you that players tend to emulate the behavior and attitude of their coaches, which has negatively impacted the outcome of some games this year, IMO.
Telling the truth multiple times doesn't make it any less true... 
Sounds like he is all in for another year of fighting the hump.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Pitino turned us down? Can you share the article you referenced?

10 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

You may be correct, sir.. but isn't that "blessing" inherent in the position? He's the Athletic Director, and a university vice president over the athletic department... in a non-collegiate environment, would a VP need to run hirings and firings past the chairman of the board or CEO? There are certain duties incumbent in that position, but perhaps not when the potential "fire-ee" is the chairman's friend.

If he values his job he will not make a decision of that magnitude in a vacuum.  Playing politics at the highest level.  If he makes the decision without the "blessing" and then learns the President and/or BOT are 180 degrees opposed then he'll likely be the next one out the door.  Got to know your superiors have your back and if they don't then it's time to start looking for a new job.  And I believe it's no different in the corporate world.

8 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Doesn’t sound true. If it were though Dusty May isn’t outlandish as some suggest 

11 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

In terms of players partying, no one would care about it if the team was winning.  And I wholeheartedly agree that the player's actions are a reflection of a coach who doesn't seem to want to put in the hours.  It certainly takes a different personality to want to do the grind of the college game at age 66.  It's not for everyone....Woodson hasn't recognized his own biggest shortcomings and at age 66 being a third year college coach, he isn't going to.

4 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Did you even read the article? Because nowhere in it does it claim what you claim that it says, i.e., that “Steven’s, Rick Pitino and Nate Oates all turned down the job.”

The Pitino stuff is especially laughable. It’s all based on Pitino’s comments from this tweet. https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/1371902704361091076?s=61&t=rO3XWU_xhZIobOsxbDJjYQ

You can’t “turn down” a job offer you never received, and there is a 0.0% chance that iu would offer Pitino the job.